Home | About | Donate

The U.S. Government’s Indictment of Julian Assange Poses Grave Threats to Press Freedom

The U.S. Government’s Indictment of Julian Assange Poses Grave Threats to Press Freedom

Glenn Greenwald, Micah Lee

The indictment of Julian Assange unsealed today by the Trump Justice Department poses grave threats to press freedoms, not only in the U.S. but around the world. The charging document and accompanying extradition request from the U.S. government, used by the U.K.

3 Likes

Free speech is the real target. Assange is just a collateral murder-in-progress (like Mumia).

7 Likes

Cryptic message from Anonymous:

Peace
Po

7 Likes

Hello GG
I was wondering if you might now release the rest of Snowden files? If not why not?

1 Like

Assange assuredly isn’t “one of us”, or “in the club”

Which is why he’s being beaten with it.

3 Likes

So—it seems like there are terrorists in the courts in Virginia… trying to put words into Chelsea Mannings mouth—and locking her up for the 18 months of the Grand Jury-???—so Virginia does have an interesting story, and even some wonderful writings from Jefferson. However---- YOU are a BIG disappointment, courts in Virginia. What a bunch of fools you are—and with state names you have that you are NOT living up to at all!
Like—“Mother of Statesmen.” well the courts seem to be mean spirited and not very truthful —at all.
So of course, I had to look up what the state aspired to be when it was formed-----LOL—“Sic temper tyrannis…” This always to tyrants…" what is always to tyrants? YOU courts are letting the tyrants win in the COURTS of Virginia… that’s a BIG fail
Whatever, the THIS of the motto is—you’d better hurry up and do something positive you courts in Virginia------because the First Amendment is at risk—and a nation doesn’t get second chances with that.

2 Likes

A liberal Ecuador completely changed as the US/CIA waited to insert a
right winger and move everything to the right –

How does a nation say it will protect someone with asylum and then go back on
their word?

6 Likes

Chelsea Manning could probably tell us more about what the Grand Jury
was trying to get her to say –

Manning and Assange are two exceptionally brave and aware people who risked
their lives to educate us as to what our corrupt government has been doing for
so long –

and we have to make sure that we fight for them and use the information wisely.

4 Likes

The response of establishment Democrats, their supporters, and the mainstream media, make clear how close they are to Trumpian ideology. The common narrative of these folk is that, whether he’s a journalist or not, the oppression of Assange is justified because he supported ‘hacking’ of classified information and put ‘lives at risk’. Like Trump, establishment Democrats, their supporters, and the mainstream media encourage the ignoring of the US war crimes, crimes against humanity, and initiatives to attack democracy in other nations and undermine foreign governments, revealed by WikiLeaks.

Like Trump, establishment Democrats, their supporters, and the mainstream media have no problem with the US using its imperial power to coerce the Ecuador to allow Assange to be arrested. Like Trump, establishment Democrats, their supporters, and the mainstream media embrace the US In-Justice system that ensures that Assange will get an unfair trial and is guaranteed to be sentenced to spend the rest of his life in an oppressive US prison.

8 Likes

Liberty is most easily preserved when the threat to it is still small. Then is the time to act, and that time is now.

2 Likes

well put and i just have to add, because i just saw the first 20 minutes of his show… FUCK Bill Maher … a real establishment liberal who sees assange as a traitor … what an asshole that guy turned into

5 Likes

$4.2bn US documented, unkind threats from US senators documented, probable direct threats, so far undocumented.

They stand beside him in the de facto elimination of the 1st Amendment.

2 Likes

It isn’t just the “free” press that is at stake. Julian knows too much. It is my understanding that a few days prior Ecuador got a big loan from the World Bank. He was sold.
I tried to read the article on the Intercept website and read the comments. The comments would not load due to bad script. Raising eye brows!
The press is the enemy of the people, remember?
If you read the real news, if you comment on the real news, if you report the real news, you are suspect.

1 Like

I have 2 Guy Fawkes masks. One for my face and one for the bad of my head :-)))

“The other key fact being widely misreported is that the indictment accuses Assange of trying to help Manning obtain access to document databases to which she had no valid access
“, it simply accuses Assange of trying to help Manning log into the Defense Department’s computers using a different username so that she could maintain her anonymity while downloading documents”

Ain’t that the same thing?

Hi Ditton: I have heard the same thing about the IMF giving Ecuador the money they wanted. One again, thanks for that great phrase , Rep Omar, “It’s all about the Benjamins!”

1 Like

In the second instance, Manning would logging into databases she had access to except with someone else’s password. By using a different password, she would throw investigator’s off her tracks.

That ploy, BTW, did not work.

1 Like

First, the threats are no longer small. Second, group think is not alive or well. It’ pretty much fend for yourself. I don’t see the calvary coming. I don’t see law and order where we need it.

1 Like

allen –
Can’t bear to hear anything negative about Julian Assange –
Just trusting that there will be lawyers coming forward and ways for us to
help and that new people in Congress will also help.

Bill Maher’s seems to always be faking it and don’t watch him, really,
but very often he says things that reveal who he really is.
Not a nice guy - and wrong.

Very important to try to send mail when we get an address –
but hope there will be suggestions for much more.