Home | About | Donate

The UK High Court Is Wrong

The UK High Court Is Wrong

César Chelala

The decision by the UK High Court to block a bid by a former chief of staff of the Iraqi army to bring a private prosecution against Tony Blair for his responsibility over the Iraq War is misguided. It means, essentially, that one of the architects of a war that almost destroyed a country will continue to enjoy immunity for this dreadful act.

I am shocked, just shocked that the UK High court would seek to protect one of their own.
Next thing you know the UK will have nuclear weapons, UK navy ships in the South China Sea, UK troops in other countries and poor people in the UK.

Tony Blair, Jack Straw and Lord Goldsmith – along with George Bush, Dick Cheney, their co-conspirator Karl Rove and torture justifier John Yoo, among many ohers – should all be turned over to the United Nations for trial as War Criminals.  Of course we all know how likely it is that this will happen . . .

Which reminds me of a poster I made based on that famous one by James Montgomery Flagg:
“Uncle Sam wants YOO     To Serve Time     Nearest Federal Prison”  

Indeed. But I am glad to see someone besides myself calling Toady Bliar by his rightful name.

Numerous Germans were hanged for crimes that they did not commit, crimes not on the books were invented, carefully manicured to avoid the Allies being caught up in them and yet they have never subsequently been applied to those considered to be on ‘our’ side.

A gutless, immoral mob the collective ‘west’ has turned out to be.

I am in complete agreement with the conclusions that César Chelala has drawn here.

So far as I know, every German hanged in the west had committed a crime, and the Germans’ arguments against their trial and convictions were specious, “hot air”. - There is some feeling, years later, that more Germans should have been tried, convicted of harsher offenses, sentenced harder and more hung. Does anyone think that if prosecutors had gotten their wish to put Alfried Krupp on trial at the big Nuremberg trial, that Krupp would have escaped conviction and hanging? (They had charged his father Gustav, but Gustav was senile, and they weren’t allowed to substitute Alfried.)

And yes, the West has been hypocrites on the issue. And ditto years ago that Gen. Pinochet wasn’t extradited to Spain to stand trial. Perhaps someone will hijack a plane, like happened to Katangan leader Moise Tshombe, to a place that will prosecute one of these ‘criminals’. - In the meantime, be pleased that world opinion - at least in the ‘West’, is shifting, and that leaders like South Korean Pres. Park, and Brazilian Pres. Rousseff are getting removed and put on trial for crimes and going to prison. Be not pleased that other criminals, such as Sudan’s Omar al-Bashir, are beyond the reach of such law.

be pleased that world opinion - at least in the ‘West’, is shifting, and that leaders like South Korean Pres. Park, and Brazilian Pres. Rousseff are getting removed and put on trial for crimes and going to prison

Dilma Rouseff??? Getting removed was good??? What planet are you on…