Home | About | Donate

'The Urgency of This Moment Is Real': Ilhan Omar Unveils Articles of Impeachment Against Trump

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/01/07/urgency-moment-real-ilhan-omar-unveils-articles-impeachment-against-trump

4 Likes

Call a vote tonight, and force the Republicans to go on the record as to whether they support or oppose the Constitution! Get them on the record today! Get it to the Senate by tomorrow, and put them on the record too. And I’d bet that would have the side-effect of getting McConnell to call cabinet officials urging them to take the problem off of his hands by invoking the 25th.

14 Likes

Call the house! I’ve been trying for 3 hours, busy, busy. You cannot even email Nancy w/o providing her districts zip code and the four other numbers. Everyone of us should be able to contact the Speaker of the House she does represent me in Congress along with all other Americans, the same with Chuckie.

We are no longer a representative government of we the people.

9 Likes

We demonstrably haven’t since before 1980.

4 Likes

Make that date 1950 when congress committed treason to their constitutional authority to declare wars, ever since it has been one undeclared war after another with thousands of American soldiers illegally murdered not to mention millions murdered all over the world including many innocent men, women and children by US war criminals that were never held accountable for their egregious crimes. In my book that is called a…MILITARY DICTATORSHIP!

7 Likes

and this is why the Russiagate stunt was so incredibly stupid. That’s already being trotted out by the Right as to why this call should be ignored.
“Didn’t they do that already? And they call us sore losers!”

As I said yesterday, I think Trump ought to be in a cell right now. Barring that, however, the political stunts aren’t doing anything to impress anyone that isn’t already flying the team’s colors. I woke up to a pleasantly surprising number of disappointed white right voters who had some very adult things to say about this president’s behavior and the embarrassment of the loons that were rampaging in DC. It’s a real opportunity to engage the better elements of the American right–especially religious conservatives who are pretty upset with this situation–and that opportunity shouldn’t be squandered on partisan point scoring that’s just going to remind them that “the other side” can’t be reasoned with, either.

Lots of people woke up ready to talk today. All of us should be doing that. Screw the pols. We’re going to have to heal this social fabric ourselves. It’s not often we get the chance to re-connect with people with their propaganda guard down.

9 Likes

this thug belongs in jail

2 Likes

And here comes Nancy Pelosi to the rescue…

The rescue of Trump, by adjourning the House.
Disgusting.

2 Likes

HI Upthepeople…

Oh you are right as that’s when Ronald Ray Gun came into office and dozed off continually and let whoever was in the room make the decisions.

2 Likes

Let’s be realistic here. The worst that will happen, after all the huffing and puffing, has already been done - Facebook closed his account (for now)

2 Likes

I call all her offices, DC. and satellite. Am not a district constituent but am a national one. I tell congressthings who are not my delegation that they have one foot in their home states or districts and one foot in a national Congress and I’m in the nation.

4 Likes

The more that I hear about the “coup” and how it was an “attack on Democracy”, the more I think about how an actual coup against a democracy, engineered by the CIA for example, would actually look almost nothing like it. In fact, it struck me how much more it really looked like a protest march followed by a sit-in. The only real difference was what these people believe in, and that they actually gained access to the the US Capitol rather than some bank or university administration office. If the police hadn’t let them in, they would have been stuck outside waving placards and endlessly mocked by everyone here.

At the same time, I also look at at rising covid infections and overwhelmed hospitals in America and wonder about “the urgency of this moment” in regards to people’s lives and people are actually dying right now without health care. I can’t help but be disappointed that the Squad has decided to throw their energy and politic capital into the culture war instead of doing what their constituents voted them in to do and force a vote on M4A.

I’m obviously an outsider in all this. I live 45 minutes away from the border and my opinion means next to nothing here. But…I can’t help but look and think how people on both sides of the spectrum in America are right now yet again being played off on each other by the rich corporate elite in the middle. And yet again in their anger, both sides are blind to the class war raging on around them, believing the other guy that’s also getting screwed from across the aisle is their enemy.

4 Likes

I think you are right, this is all political theater. Trump has less than two weeks to go before he finally leaves office so impeachment is pretty much a moot point. And as the article brings out:

“In a Thursday statement, Morris Pearl, chair of the Patriotic Millionaires, assessed Wednesday’s violence and chaos by saying that Trump ‘actively recruited and nurtured this group of traitors, whipped them into a violent frenzy, and directed them to attack the Capitol’.”

This then begs the obvious question why these noble Democrats are not calling for the immediate arrest and prosecution of Trump. As the above quote notes, Trump whipped the crowd into a frenzy and directed them to attack the Capitol building. Or perhaps Democrats like Omar think that people like Trump should be viewed as being above the law.

2 Likes

If they had “attacked the Capitol”, they would have started shooting, or set it on fire. they actually just broke a big window and walked in, giving selfies with police along the way.

1 Like

You are ignoring the fact that the pro-Trump mob went into the Capitol building with the express purpose of disrupting the counting of the electoral votes which would have made Biden’s victory official. The mob was egged on by Trump who was undoubtedly pleased as punch when he saw them unleashing mayhem inside that government building by terrorizing the people inside and which is a reason why Trump should be arrested and prosecuted. Trying to downplay what that mob had done would be sweet music to their ears as well as Trump’s

2 Likes

And? What did they succeed in doing? What was the actual danger here? Or just because this ceremonial vote was sacred to you? Trump incited the crowd to march to the Capitol and “show strength”. The cops let them in and the Trumpers occupied offices and the floor of Congress. Big deal. At worst he incited a fairly peaceful riot, not a coup. Cops have done worse and served no time. Just saying.

They actually did much more damage/destruction than what you mention. Plus, they attavked officers & in the end, many were injured.
A crowd of angry, violent, yelling people who bust their way into Capitol bldg, while Congress is there doing business, is very much illegal. But beyond rhat, it is also considered “terrorizing” the occupants of bldg, since angrily forcing their way in & the people inside not knowing their intentions, is meant to cause fear, terror, in the least. The crowd may very well be armed. After what hapoened in a State Capitol (Gretchen Whitmer?), where plans were to kidnap her, have mock trial & …?!!
For all these reasons & more, this tyoe of behavior/actions cannot be allowed ~ too much can go wrong! Plus, the intent to cause fear, or injury, even death, imakes the angry crowd’s attacks & forced entry able to be considered terrorizing/terrorist acts. They were NOT protesting, but were a mob, rioting, angry, loud & breaking in.
Having said that tho, that’s why we have security at these bldgs. to protect the premises & the people inside from such actions as this was. Capitol Police fell far short of what we expect & we pay them to do.
Peaceful protesters with BLM were treated MUCH harsher… large # of fully outfitted cops, looking like SWAT teams, “armed for bear” & creating a human wall. Very intimidating! And no one was busting their way into any bldgs. – protesting, not attacking crowds of people.
I’m just sayin’… Was very different! Could’ve used some of that "tough looking & non-lethally armed, to the hilt, for this rioting crowd.

1 Like

.not exactly as friendly as you make it sound…

Destruction of gov’t property. Trashed the offices pretty bad. But no one in Congress was hurt.
Police were. And 1 woman killed in the melee´.

The thing is, our President, who refuses to acxept that he lost re-election, has been telling faksehoods (lies) insisting that there was fraud, despite there being zero evidence of any. Yhis has been going on months now & heard constantly, dwspite statements being UNTRUE! Numerous lawsuits – all tossed out but 1 & that 1 was a minor detail, not the actual fraud case. Trump’s behavior is not at all presidential. It’s the actions of a tin pot dictator, 3rd world country maybe, trying to pull off a coup - not military coup perhaps, but a coup, in order to stay/be placed in office even tho lost ekection. We aren’t used to such crap. We have a winner & a loser in elections & NIT sorw losers eho won’t acceot rwsults. Recounts & all, it is over & done now & we should be working on a smoith & oeaceful transition to the new admin. That’s Anerican elections & demicracy. This is not. This us divisive & it’s all based on fhe lies told by the loser & friends. There was NO FRAUD found & this childish behavior of loser is now taking on dangerous tones! The lies have been so constant that hus voters actually believe there was fraud & election stolen…but it was not!! The proof/ evidence backs that it was fair election! Trumo has gone so far as to try & conjure up votes that aren’t there, as heard recently in his thug-like phone call that’s recorded. Enuff is enuff akready! A person who wiuld lie, cheat & incite violence to stay in WH, doesn’t belong there in the 1st pkace!

1 Like