Home | About | Donate

The US Needs a Marshall Plan for Central America

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/07/23/us-needs-marshall-plan-central-america

1 Like

Please no. The rest of the wold has had all it can handle of the United States of America claiming it there in order to “save it”.

The Marshall Plan led to NATO and NATO led to the United States of America seeing the European nations as subject states.

5 Likes

We need a Marshall Plan for us!
We need to leave the rest of the world alone

5 Likes

I’m glad to see that US responsibility in the destabilization of those countries and the resultant increases in crime rates and exodus from those countries being discussed. On the other hand, I don’t agree that more intervention from the US is called for. What really needs to happen first is for the US to stop doing what it has been doing that has been contributing to the problems that make the people want to leave their countries. They aren’t coming to the US to “steal jobs.” That needs to be repeated ad nauseum.

2 Likes

let’s maybe take this for a trial run in the US first, shall we?

We could definitely use this in the midwest.

1 Like

While I agree that it would be welcome if the US would stay out of the rest of the world’s business, that has not happened. What you are suggesting would never happen under the leaders we now have in place. I have always said that a great leader of the US would try to arrange a summit with the leaders of all of these countries and discuss how things could be improved. How can the economies of these countries improve and benefit the people there? How can their countries become safer for those who live there? How can the nations co-operate in creating an immigration system that is fair and reasonable for all and respects human dignity? The US needs to look at all of the ways it has helped to create the miserable conditions in many of these countries and what we can do do reduce that harm that has been done. Whether NAFTA, arming of military despots, manipulating economies - these are big issues. Unfortunately the US government if filled with people more concerned about american banks and business interests than those of the people. We are seeing that the same things seem to be happening in the US - homelessness, lack of economic security and the income inequality which has always been huge in latin america.

1 Like

I don’t think this is exactly correct.

It’s not that I do not think some compensation is owed to Latin American for centuries of abuse. But that is not what the Marshall Plan was, nor would it be the intention of any conceivable Western program to loan money. I suspect that putting aside this particular form of hope is part of working with a real world.

Those of us above a certain age often remember the Marshall Plan as part of an enormous aid program in which the US loaned and donated enormous quantities of money to friend and foe alike, motivated by a desire for the common good. This could be done, so the story went, because American manufacturing was of such a quantity that much of the money returned to American manufacturing and a favorable balance of trade, so that enough came full circle to sustain the action.

That is what we were told the Marshall Plan was. It was not.

In the First and Second World Wars, the imperial powers of the old mercantile aristocracies hammered themselves to a point somewhere between impotence and obliviion. Throughout this process, vast imperial holdings in Africa and Asia were lost or in the process of claiming independence. Pundits called this the spread of communism, but it was most centrally a movement by the peoples of the world against their (mostly) European masters.

In the Marshall Plan, European and American bankers colluded with governments, principally the American government, to invest large amounts of money to rebuild the imperial nations and to assure the dollar special status so that the US had something close to a blank check to invest in creating death and destruction elsewhere. The imperial order would carry on through American militarism and systems of theoretically eternal debt.

The dynamic that we thought of as “the Cold War” grew out of these decisions. There evolved a system of collusion between black ops. local corruption, and outwardly “upstanding” business that became the rising pattern of imperial control. This has been the system that inherited the American government’s “Monroe Doctrine.” The system has made a business of farming, mining, and abusing Latin America in general, usually in the name of aid or order.

It is not that Latin America could not use help from those who robbed it. It is just that the point is moot, and that Latin America could build itself up quite handily were it simply left alone.

A far, far better goal might be to bring home the remnants of the Marshall Plan, the Monroe Doctrine, and so forth, and dissolve them.

2 Likes

I get the desire to do something to fix the century plus mess we have created in Central and South America. It’s so tempting. But please Zeus a thousand times NO!!! The only fixing I want to see is the complete and total withdrawal of our military, ‘advisors’, NGOs who are really arms of our clandestine services, religious nutters, CIA and other clandestine butchery et al we keep there. Then a stoppage and removal of all military hardware, and finally stop hunting families on the border and go full bore only to interdict drugs… then… - leave them the hell alone. It will take a LOT of time but the smart decent people there fighting for peace and stability will eventually get traction and eventually get their drug gang issues under control once they can no longer make enough money drug producing processing and smuggling . We ARE the problem. There is no trust in our ability to provide solutions b cause everything we have even done there has brutally harmed people.

2 Likes

According to Trump, we can just build a big, beautiful, concrete wall (that Mexico will pay for) and everything will be fine.

I don’t think it is that easy to stop people who don’t know much else, from wanting the money that gangs, drugs, and trafficking bring, contrary to some opinions. However, it might indeed be an idea, regardless of the politics, for the US to positively incentivize these countries with funding for legal, productive, healthy income sources, lifestyle, and education. Certainly these people would prefer to live in their home country, as long as it was safe and fulfilling. We can make the change worth it for them, with that same amount of income, understanding that these vices must halt. We help support these countries already with hundreds of millions of dollars. These steps would also decrease crime and related costs regionally and in the US.

1 Like

with our infrastructure in shambles, our education system in the toilet, our government riddled with nothing but shills for corporate amerika, how about a marshall plan for us? If we just mind our own business and focus on amerika, that would be a great start.

2 Likes