Home | About | Donate

The US Ought to Un-Swivel Its China Pivot

The US Ought to Un-Swivel Its China Pivot

Buddy Bell

For the last week, I’ve been walking on a peace march organized by the Nipponzan Myohoji order of Buddhist monks. This march is similar in some ways to another: the Okinawa “Beggars’ March” of 1955-1956. At that time, farmers who had been forcefully removed from their fields by U.S. soldiers in the years following World War II acted peacefully to demand the return of their land, which was the source of their entire livelihood.

"Similarly, the U.S. people would almost certainly enjoy increased productivity and prosperity if the U.S. government were to downsize its grossly bloated military outlays. With more than 800 bases around the globe and almost a quarter of them situated in either Japan or Korea, the U.S. spends $10 billion per year trying to maintain a foreign policy of absolute domination rather than amicable relations."

Amen to the above statement.

The Japanese should offer the U.S. military the land impacted by Fukushima. That sounds like a fair karmic exchange (counting in Hiroshima and Nagasaki) to me.

The Japanese should offer the U.S. military the land impacted by Fukushima. That sounds like a fair karmic exchange (counting in Hiroshima and Nagasaki) to me."

Haha. That's rather malicious, SR. Actually, I'd thought for some time that the UN should offer some help in solving the Fukushima problem. I've seen photos of genetically muted daisies and of course read about children with thyroid cancer. Nowadays, governments all over the world seem to be able to do what they want: the people's voices don't count anymore.