Home | About | Donate

The Useful Idiocy of Donald Trump

The Useful Idiocy of Donald Trump

Chris Hedges

The problem with Donald Trump is not that he is imbecilic and inept—it is that he has surrendered total power to the oligarchic and military elites. They get what they want. They do what they want. Although the president is a one-man wrecking crew aimed at democratic norms and institutions, although he has turned the United States into a laughingstock around the globe, our national crisis is embodied not in Trump but the corporate state’s now unfettered pillage.

14 Likes

My only complaint about Chris Hedges’s columns is that they are over dense with important truths and observations. Every piece he writes is like the Cliff Notes summary of a book–history, the destruction of the environment, abuse of power, idolatry, psychoanalysis . . .

But what a great paragraph, the one above.

16 Likes

There is a new world a’borning - here it is:

2 Likes

But isn’t the commodification of everything the natural end game in our capitalist system? The whole point of Citizens United was the enshrinement of money as free speech, right?

Capitalism won, democracy lost. Put it on the gravestone of civilization.

10 Likes

Such a clear crystal explanation of our times.

4 Likes

From the first paragraph, Chris Hedges nails it!

9 Likes

The USA Gymnastics version of offal office occupants - or maybe its the other way around.

Empire is an obsolete goal/method/model. Its non-existence claims (no consequences; costs?what costs?; trickle down? - its no longer necessary to beat a dead horse or pretend there is no hephalump in the rum of empire.

My fervent efforts utilize the smelling salts provided by the emerging human beings who call on our humble skills and dedication - all of which see the exponential blossoming from assiduous composting of the shit dealt out by an abusive system, spreading, airing, turning and tending of the TRUTHS spoken by those being abused. Stand together and remember that under a predatory system we are only as strong as the weakest among us!

3 Likes

As usual, excellent article by Chris Hedges.

8 Likes

Wow.

Chris Hedges is always powerful. This piece is simply amazing, in its reach, its depth, its grasp of the essence of today’s struggle --for our humanity.

9 Likes

Thank you Chris Hedges, the world of Donald Trump summed up in a few hundred words. It’s too bad the general public will never read these words, or understand them if they did read them.

7 Likes

Well said. I really liked the part where he talks about the similarity between Trump and Obama and the Clintons. Very true, unfortunately.

12 Likes

Aren’t you confusing financialization of everything with the commoditization of everything. Commodities are, and were, traded for centuries before Capitalism became relevant or even descriptive.
I’m not hearing the fat lady singing, quite yet, either.

1 Like

Exactly. Corporate, mainstream Democrats need a fire under their you-know-what to do the right thing or get out of office. I guess it’s up to organizing and leaders like Sanders to get the people to demand a truly progressive government.

1 Like

To the extent that your genetic code is being commodified, I’d say we’re entering territory once reserved for diplomats who arranged strategic royal weddings.

Except now you can know how likely you are to die from colon cancer.

Soon, even eternity will be for sale:

I think that’s by design for him. It’s a form of narrative resistance. He encapsulates the larger picture repeatedly as an attempt to help make an alternative narrative stick. It’s using the propagandists own techniques against her.

This is just one more. The danger of what Hedges does is that after the 100th siren, it’s tempting to just tune him out–not from disagreement, but from repetition.

1 Like

Eternity has been for sale for centuries, or longer. Can you name one dead person that’s complained they paid too little to get to eternity?
" And, I wonder where the lions are " Bruce Cockburn

The useful idiocy of Donald Trump would never have been possible without the manufactured idiocy (consent) of the American citizenry. It’s very hard, at age 60 and with things so bad, to look back over the past four to five decades and think anything other than “we had it coming.”

8 Likes

I happen to agree with you. It’s not a danger for me–I’ve read Hedges for years, and I know where I agree and where I disagree with him. I love the pep talk critique that he specializes in. I think even for radicals who have been at this a long time–and for those with sizable educations, too–it’s good to see Hedges clear summaries of just what we face on a weekly basis.

But a lot of folks don’t appreciate him hitting that note as often as he does.

2 Likes

I wonder why Hedges is so reluctant to name the enemy with his repeated use of the term “elites”…what is so wrong with being specific …and call them what they are - capitalists and their lackeys

i remember as a teenager after coming back stateside from panama a police checkpoint being set up. we sat on the side of the road. i can recall thinking something wasn’t right, this wasn’t a military base.

1 Like