Home | About | Donate

The War in Afghanistan Turns 18, and No One Notices

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/10/10/war-afghanistan-turns-18-and-no-one-notices

2 Likes

American politicians infect every country they send the military to.

Then again, it’s ultimately the 95% of us that enable them to.

3 Likes

"Honestly, I don’t think a lot about it.” All he knows is that “I’ve got a job to do, and that we’re still over there right now and it’s not done yet.”

You don’t think a lot about it? Well, start thinking then, dumb ass. You’re no hero, you’re a fool. Everybody knows our entire presence in the Middle East is based entirely on lies, and yet you young naive dumb fucks keep signing up. THINK! I have zero respect for soldiers today. They are all nothing but cannon fodder and willing murderers for the Military Industrial Complex.

4 Likes

The 95% of Americans too apathetic or too stupid to care…and the young naive fools who keep signing up to fight in these wars that anybody with half a brain knows were/are based entirely on lies.

3 Likes

Please note that Obama had the surge of +30,000 army and marines. WE killed over 110 each week.
Pakistan was able to replace every taliban squad they had sent in country and add 10%. Nutthin said by americas media.

Now, whining about trump in afghan is hilarious. Our soldiers are in garrison with only a few out in the boondocks. Over 16,000 afghan police and army were killed by taliban in 2018,

I think we retain our army in afghan to fulfill John Bolton’s attack into Iran.

2 Likes

I remember when we first went in there thinking, if Russia couldn’t win in 17 years, what are we doing there? Seems we didn’t learn anything from Vietnam.

2 Likes

First of all, I don’t consider it a war. Certainly not after the first year of being there.This is, and has been an occupation. Nation building, so called. We seem to simply be building a different fiefdom. One that keeps the MIC rolling along, along with Iraq and Syria. This is more like an olden days set of British colonies, only it’s the U.S. over-lording this time.

1 Like

The last US serviceman should have been out of there by 30 Nov 2012.

But the majority of Americans call these young people and veterans ‘heroes’, making us just as dumb. I heard someone say the other day, ‘It’s not as if we’re at war.’ The wars are so old they are over as far as most Americans know or care. As long as our fighters don’t get killed, we don’t care. We have the attention span of, actually I can’t think of any comparable creature. Even a mosquito doesn’t give up on its determination to bite its victims. The murders and suffering of the people whose countries we invaded are still going on. If 9/11 was a subversive plot to support the military industrial complex, it worked! The military budget grows larger and larger and have we heard any candidates remind us that is where most of our money is going? Talk about conspiracies; the media, the politicians, the weapons makers, and the idiots( that’s us- the American people).

3 Likes

“An army of one” “Be the best that you can be”. Military service is the last resort for some of these young men and women. The Pentagon spends millions to induce them to “join the army”. The MIMIC has made this choice just another among others for young people. The military forces stand whether of not the US is at war (the last congressional Declaration of War was on Dec 8 1941), in a police action, or a congressionally authorized use of military force (AUMF - the basis of the everlasting deployment in the Middle East). I doubt if any of the new volunteers view themselves are you describe. I do detest that their participation in the US never-ending War on Terror has become just another job choice. I also believe that if starting tomorrow volunteers disappeared, the Pentagon would contract with the likes of Black Water to protect our way of life and preserve their bloated budget. The Pentagon and all of its tentacles woven into US society is just another corporation driving investment, innovation, and employment. The contractors will be history when the drones and robotic-warriors take over.

Short answer: Making trillions of $$$$$$$$ for the defense industries and the drug industries. And the lesson learned from Vietnam? Wars are profitable and the defense industries always win; they never lose!

1 Like