Home | About | Donate

The Wars No One Notices

The Wars No One Notices

Stephanie Savell

I’m in my mid-thirties, which means that, after the 9/11 attacks, when this country went to war in Afghanistan and Iraq in what President George W. Bush called the “Global War on Terror,” I was still in college. I remember taking part in a couple of campus antiwar demonstrations and, while working as a waitress in 2003, being upset by customers who ordered “freedom fries,” not “French fries,” to protest France’s opposition to our war in Iraq.

War IS terrorism!

Thx for an excellent summary of how the US conducts itself around the world. I share your frustrations of the “roll of eyes” when I have tried to talk about this mess. I’ve been following this story since the late 1940’s (yes I’m that old). It is purposeful for the American public to be “unconscious” of our foreign policies. They (we) are supposed to be nothing but selfish consumers which makes us selfish towards the rest of the world. Until some public personality becomes a bit involved in what we do in others’ countries the American public remains mute and uneducated. That is why our government is able (the Deep State) to get away with what it does around the world. This activity escalated greatly with 9/11…and the declaration by President Bush that he was now able to do whatever he wished anywhere in the world and the passing of the Patriot Act to emphasize that he and the Fed government could do whatever they wished within the borders of the US. From a country that professes to be “exceptional” we have a muted and ignorant, self-mirroring public, a government so entangled with the military industrial war machine that one is not distinguishable from the other. Where is the military conscription laws, the excess war profits taxes, the dollar a year men? The lack of national military service with NO EXCEPTIONS, the continuing privatization of the military services and actual “war fighting”, a media that is saturated and immersed in the idea of “American Exceptionalism” and propagandizes constantly over the “privatized” public media (including NPR) those of us who like to keep this horrible situation in the forefront of the public eye, we stand no chance. But we do keep trying. We “bleat” compassion, but act selfishly. We point the finger at our neighbors but we neglect our own house. We label those who resist us as terrorists; but we are the terrorists. The fetid atmosphere of militarization has penetrated deeply into our local police departments. What a secondary market for the MIC! And those who believe that we must rule the world with “Full Spectrum Dominance” bellow mightily that we have to protect ourselves from those, “out there” who would harm us. You think?? We are now trapped in this historical cycle of violence shrouded in patriotism; no different than any two-bit authoritarian government of the past who professed to be “exceptional”.
I admire your efforts; keep it up. Even the small voices in the wilderness will be heard somehow. There are many of us out here in the hinterland that absolutely abhor what our country is doing here at home and around the world.

Thanks MS. Savell, you’re org, does provide a valuable service to the citizens. You’re frustration and anger about this info. is understandable. Sadly I don’t have information to relieve said anger. When you combine what you’re group has discovered with the fact that this “war on terror” was a self inflicted wound, you’re anger levels are sure to climb off the charts, (I lost almost 400 of my Firefighting brothers on 9/11, I will never forget, or forgive). Lets hope one day the perpetrators inside our govt. will be brought to justice for that terrible day and all of the harm they have caused here and around the world since that day.

What if they gave a war

And nobody noticed?

True, but on a much bigger budget! And wrapped in a pretty flag!

If it was a war on terror they would be fighting themselves. In reality it is a war on peace, humanity and freedom by pychopathic killers. Nothing will stop this short of complete destruction of planet Earth down to a depth of the deep hidden underground shelters. That seems fair, if we die you die.

The American people will not discuss this because, as a topic, it is verboten in the MSM.

When will people start to realize that the media is strictly controlled?

I applaud your activism Stephanie! Its nice to see a person of young age actually become aware of the various war costs. What really would be interesting to me is if your generation actually started to study what happened on 911 - a short examination will reveal the obvious lie that led us into these wars. So reveal the big lie and just maybe the American people will realize that the people we are killing in the name of terror had nothing to do with 911.

Which I think is the point of Stephanie Savell’s article, and I think an answer to your question is that “they” are hoping nobody notices and that the work of maintaining the empire continues unabated.

'Twas ever thus, at least in the post-World War Two period. One of the best books I’ve ever read on foreign policy was Jonathan Kwitny’s Endless Enemies: The Making of an Unfriendly World, first published in the mid-1980s. Kwitny opens the book with the story of a woman who wrote a letter to the New York Times in response to an article she’d read that discussed US military support in Chad.

The woman said that she was writing because she had never even heard of Chad until that article and wanted to know why the US was even involved in Chad. Kwitny used that anecdote as a springboard into his investigation of US foreign policy around the globe including military and covert operations. The idea of the US as a garrison state with presences in many countries around the globe was later picked up by Chalmers Johnson, author of Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American Empire, and others.

The problem, as Paul Kennedy points out in The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers, is that the US must eventually come to terms with the “imperial overstretch” that has eventually gutted all other empires that have come before it. And I think that one of Savell’s points in her article is that Americans are beginning to lose the empire they never even knew they had.

It was a play on the peace movement slogan from the '60s

"What if they gave a war

And nobody came?"

According to one source searched out

"The line has its origins in an epic poem by Carl Sandberg called ‘The People, Yes’. … The actual line from the book is, ‘Sometime they’ll give a war and nobody will come.’

Thanks. Understood. I figured it was a droll comment, and I tried to use it as a transition to my previous comment. Perhaps a bit heavy-handedly.

I’ll never forget a bumper sticker I saw when I was a teen in the early 1980s, which read roughly: “It will be a great day when schools get all the money they need and the air force has to hold a bake sale to buy a bomber.”

Nowadays that is too long to read for many. And Trump would demand a pretty picture instead.

Pretty pictures and Killer Clown seem somehow incongruent, n’est-ce pas?

(Two years of junior college French, and all I got was this lousy
pretentiousness)

When Barack Obama was elected, I called him the biggest threat to peace. He never did anything to end the wars and no one would say anything because he is black and thus any accusation would be labeled “racist”. The Democrats had control of Congress for his first two years of his presidency and they never closed Guantanamo, never reduced the military budget, and increased the troops protecting the pipelines in Afghanistan, which was the whole purpose of the invasion in the first place.

I watched as each election, the supposed party of peace remained silent about these on-going wars and bombing campaigns. No one protested the wars. Hillary Clinton is a war hawk. She said she wants to attack Iran. She sold Uranium to the Russians who had no need for it and sent to it to Iran with full knowledge by the US government so Iran could create a nuclear weapons program to justify a US bombing campaign. That is the real issue of Uranium One. Trump actually campaigned against war, though he has done a 180 degree turn since entering the White House.

On the conservative boards, people are trying to create exit strategies from the ME. They don’t want more war. On the progressive boards, it’s all #metoo or transgender rights or white privilege. The military action against Iraq has been going on unabated since the 1990s. remember the no fly zones in between the two illegal, unconstitutional, undeclared wars? Probably not because a democrat was in the office and everyone lulled themselves into sleep, pretending the death of 500,000 children was worth the price. (Madeline Albright)

People protest the citizenry owning guns and say nothing about an armed to the teeth government supported by primarily unintelligent forces (they are scraping at the bottom of the barrel to get recruits for these never ending wars). People say nothing about the carbon footprint of the military and all of the wars and conflicts.

The wars no one notices. Orwell must be crying in his grave.

In 2016