Home | About | Donate

'The World is Watching': Amnesty Report Details 125 Human Rights Violations by US Police in First Two Weeks of Racial Justice Protests

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/04/world-watching-amnesty-report-details-125-human-rights-violations-us-police-first

8 Likes

The police operated on the direction of this criminal administration.

Their complicity is evidence for the need for complete restructuring of how departments are designed to “protect and serve” our citizens, and not only “corporate property.”

8 Likes

According to the Patriot Act, an act of terrorism is defined as an action which is “dangerous to human life”, in “violation of the criminal laws of the U.S. and “which seeks to intimidate or coerce a civilian population”.

By their own standards, the actions of our fascist, insane, clown president, the ‘Justice’ Dept and DHS in Portland are clearly terrorist attacks on the citizens of the U.S. They represent a far more imminent and dangerous attack on our democracy and the constitution than the attacks of 9/11. What are our congress and courts going to do about this? What are WE going to do about this? This requires Big-Time Push-Back.

5 Likes

Cops are pissed because the protests are aimed at them. Still waiting for videos of the looters and vandals instead of actual protesters getting beaten, gassed, and plowed into by police cars.

5 Likes

Soooo damn true. One has to wonder how bad it will have to get before THE MAJORITY of American’s rise up and say: 'WE ARE MAD AS HELL! NO MORE OF THIS FASCIST BS!

2 Likes

“All We Are Saying Is Give Peace A Chance.” ~John Lennon and Yoko Ono~

1 Like

Ah, nostalgia. Another place, another time. Such a ‘Kum-ba-Yah’ stance now in Portland would get you clubbed like a baby seal.

I recently had a disagreement with a friend. He leans progressive but has friends who are Trump supporters. He tolerates their jibes, he states to keep communication open. His version is they can like Trump but are not racist or any other adjective attributable to Trump. Apparently the friends have done well in the stock market.
My point was that you cannot support Trump and divorce yourself from the many odious acts he is behind. That makes one complicit in racism, xenophobia, abuse, white supremacy, lying etc, etc, etc.
Does anyone else have an opinion here on this?

4 Likes

Giving the police the V sign in Chicago in the late 60’s got one arrested or clubbed also.
Will it ever end?

3 Likes

" Imagine there is nothing to kill or die for". Until that is realized by millions…there will be no chance for peace.

1 Like

Calling on Congress to do something about police violence against citizens is calling on a rogue group of sanctioners, democracy destroyers and war mongers,

Sure, there are a few new faces trying to do good, yet asking congress for help is imagining there is a good heart running the most violent state on Earth.

1 Like

‘The World Is Watching’:

And the world will do nothing.

Get rid of that friend once and for all.

1 Like

Complacency, neglect and failure to engage or participate in our democracy lead to it being easily hijacked by the criminal oligarchs for their profit at our expense. Everyone here understands that this looting has been going on for many decades, and has NOTHING to do with the traditional philosophical differences between the parties that existed pre-Reagan.

The rise of the ‘Tea Party’, though seriously misguided, indicated that at least someone was pissed off enough to get off their ass and make some noise. Trump’s base is a new animal which has been conditioned and incited to the most vile and dangerous of human passions. There can be no denying the parallels with 1938 Germany. These are unprecedented and dangerous times indeed.

1 Like

I do agree with you. Most of my family including my mom escaped from Nazi Germany in mid to late 1930’s. The parallels are plainly in sight.
I also agree this is not a party issue but class warfare, the haves against the have nots. Trump is extremely dangerous, but even more so are the evil ultra rights mainly in the Republican Party.

1 Like

Perhaps in our next lifetimes Shanti.

1 Like

The whole world was watching Chicago in 1968. Look how well that turned out. They watched again as students were gunned down at Kent State in Ohio. The whole world will watch the United States turn into a fascist banana republic, no matter who gets elected this fall, if anyone gets elected at all. The fact that Sarah Palin was taken seriously as a potential candidate, and that Donnie Trump got elected, proves the general electorate in America is as dumb as a box of rocks.

3 Likes

When I was in grade school my teacher told me that " anyone in America can grow up to be President" Trump and Sarah are proof of that statement!

1 Like

Wait any longer & it will be too late to make a difference! I believe the use of Trump’s “private army” of unidentified stormtroopers is a practice run to see what response there is to it & how well his thugs perform. He certainly must be happy with the results. Contrary to Constitution? No problem. People who thought our own police/military would not move against us are likely still trying to make sense of it. Dress them up & arm them like military stormtroopers + make them anonymous & they feel they have authority to do anything they feel like. Brings out the worst in mankind!
Never mind that these are peaceful protests & well within our 1st Amendment rights to free speech & assembly ~ they acted like it’s war & we are the enemy.
Thing is, only terrorists using violence that I saw there were the gov’t stormtroopers! Suit them up in riot gear, armed to attack & they will do just that! Attitude comes with the suiting up in armor. Not being identifiable removes last of any qualms they may have had about warring against fellow Americans. Trump recruited the worst of each group he got them from.

1 Like

I am old enuff to remember when the U.S. was on the same side as Amnesty Int’l. Now, we are the thugs & terrorists that people sign petitions against & send letters to leaders asking them to stop hurting their own people. Now we are the ones being asked to get in line with International Human Rights Laws that we used to be proponents of!
We’ve come a long way baby…but it’s in wrong direction!
How sad.

2 Likes