Home | About | Donate

The World Laughed at Donald Trump

The World Laughed at Donald Trump

Vijay Prashad

When U.S. President Donald Trump began his speech at the UN General Assembly, laughter erupted from the hall. “In less than two years,” Trump said, “my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the entire history of our country.” There was a pause. Then, Trump continued, “America’s—so true”—but he was interrupted by laughter. Not laughter at a joke that Trump had cracked. Nothing like that. The laughter was directed at him. “Didn’t expect that reaction,” Trump said, “but that’s OK.” There was more laughter, even raucous laughter.

3 Likes

Never forget for a moment that Trump’s views on the U.N., globalization, toxic patriotism and more represent the views of a significant portion of the electorate in this country. After all, Trump did not and could not write that speech. The fact he even managed to finish it without going even further into la la land is surprising. As always, Trump and his followers are not an anomaly. They are the the product of a country in decline and that decline has had many contributors. Blue wave in November? I’m still not convinced.

8 Likes

And that shows me that not only is the empire failing, but so are the oligarchs behind him.

1 Like

Like all presidents before him, Trump was selected by the empire, before he was elected.

2 Likes

I am fairly certain there will be a “blue wave” in Novermber, and i am even more certain it will turn out just like every “blue wave” before it.

3 Likes

How are they failing? They literally own half the wealth in the country and can control the rest.
If America is turned into a toxic crater tomorrow they would still have their wealth and power, and could continue their pillaging uninterrupted from just about anywhere else.
The only way they could fail is if humanity as a whole rejected their claims of ownership and abandoned the idea of money.
That wont happen for most people until the realities of climate disruption has completely destroyed the biosphere.

2 Likes

He is the greatest distractions the oligarchy has ever had.
If he was slightly more mentally stable they would probably make him president for life.

2 Likes

“The illegal and immoral Iraq War”, AND taking away due process from anybody the gubmit labels an “enemy combatant”, a term that has more than 15 years later not been defined.

2 Likes

Tom, you, wolfess, and Shantiananda are so correct when you focus on the seminal and meta-causal cancer of Empire (in Emperor Trump).

While it may well be superficiously funny to “laugh at” idiot-president Trump (as this article notes) the only solution to the implosion and death of the American “Revolution Against Empire” [Jusstin du Rivage] is for ‘we the American people’ to have the brains and courage to fire a; loud, public, sustained, ‘in-the-streets’, but totally non-violent “Shout (not shot) heard round the world” to; Shout-down, ‘expose’, excoriate, expunge, and if nessisary ‘excise’ this cancerous tumor of Emperor Trump, and the broader Disguised Global Capitalist EMPIRE, only nominally HQed in, and merely ‘posing’ as, our formerly promising, and sometimes progressing country of America as an actual ‘New World’ “land of the free and home of the brave” — let’s not just sing it but DO IT!

DUMP
EMPEROR
TRUMP

“We can’t be an EMPIRE”

1 Like

BTW, the following is the commentary which I sent to the New York “Times” in response to their Editorial Board opinion piece on Trump’s speach at the UN, but unfortunately, this was the first comment of hundreds from me the the NYT did not publish — although they had published dozens in which I precisely described America as metastasizing into a “Disguised Global Capitalist EMPIRE”:

"Here’s Trump’s basic message to the UN:

I’m here to “Make Empire Great Again”

I’m going to change the UN into GE — Global Empire.

But here are the messages/signs that ‘We the American people’ should shout-down Emperor Trump with:

DUMP
EMPEROR
TRUMP

“We can’t be an EMPIRE”

"Yes, social
democracy

No, Global
EMPIRE"

“Give the U.S. Liberty over Empire, or Give us Death”

I’m still trying to understand why the “Times” wouldn’t publish these descriptions of Emperor Trump and our disease of EMPIRE which they had previously felt comfortable publishing. Maybe, the other nations of the world laughing at Emperor Trump brought too close to the surface for the “Times” the proof that the rest of the world clearly views the U.S. as an Empire, and that this might cause some people (Americans or other global citizens) to wonder why the “Times” itself is not allowing their own columnists, or editorials to address the ‘Empire subject’ that they have been allowing citizens to broach, but fearing to ‘go there’ themselves as “the paper of record”?