Home | About | Donate

The 'Worst of the Worst' Myth Behind Clinton's Pro-Death Penalty Stance

The 'Worst of the Worst' Myth Behind Clinton's Pro-Death Penalty Stance

Scott Martelle

The death penalty made a rare appearance on the presidential campaign trail last week with Hillary Rodham Clinton saying she backs it “because I do think there are certain egregious cases that still deserve the consideration of the death penalty, but I’d like to see those be very limited and rare, as opposed to what we’ve seen in most states.”

It must be fashionable to give voice to obvious signs of racism but leave sexism and misogyny in the closet.

Mr. Martelle states the following:

"For instance, “Green River Killer” Gary Ridgway admitted killing 48 people in Washington state and, in return for a life sentence, pledged to own up to other killings as evidence emerged. The prosecutors put verifying crimes (and guilt) above seeking the death penalty, which is an arbitrary decision."

Gary Ridgway ONLY killed women and most of the victims were raped... even post mortem.

To say that he killed "48 people" dismisses the misogynistic motivations behind these crimes and MILLIONS worldwide like them!

Who defines "worst of the worst"?

Lots of us would put war criminals like Bush, Cheney, Rice, et al, as well as Obama, both Clintons, Madeline Albright, et al, in that category. Each of them has been responsible for uncountable deaths and disfigurements.

And then there are the banksters who crashed the world economy (except for themselves and their best friends) wreaking untold suffering on those who were most vulnerable.

And then there are the oil company executives who have pushed life on this planet to the brink (maybe over the brink) of extinction.

And then there's the pharmaceutical industry. And those who have manipulated the mass incarceration complex to their benefit and the harm of others. Tobacco company execs. Monsanto execs.

My Oh My! The list is long! Just housing all these "worst of the worst" would be a challenge.

Unless, of course, we release all the non-violent offenders. And the immigrant families. And everyone falsely convicted by perjured testimony. Or sloppy lab work. Or inadequate defense attorneys. Or because they plea bargained when they were innocent but couldn't afford bail.

Actually, I'd be perfectly happy if all those "worst of the worst" were simply incarcerated for the rest of their lives. No TV. No internet. No cable. No mail. No visitors. Adequate food, exercise, water, medical care. Better than many of their victims had.

It doesn't surprise me that Hillary Clinton is for the death penalty. Her propensity for "regime change", "safe zones", etc., shows that she likes putting other people in harms way. She seems to take delight in people being maimed, tortured, put to death. Just look at the way she behaved upon hearing of Gaddafi's death (he was sodomized with a bayonet, tortured, and killed): We came, we saw, he died and then chuckled and clapped her hands. I felt like I was watching a serial killer when I saw her performance. Certainly no "statesman" would behave like that. But she wanted to use the whole Libya overthrow to her political advantage. It almost sunk her. If the Republicans weren't so stupid, it would have. I am sorry it didn't.

The US imposes the 'death penalty' on millions of people all over the world, all the time. So, what's new?

The death penalty is a statement that killing is OK

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.