Home | About | Donate

The Year That Changed Everything: A Personal Memory of 1968

The Year That Changed Everything: A Personal Memory of 1968

John de Graaf

Fifty years have passed since the one that changed everything for my generation, the crucial turning point when the promise of the 1960s turned to a defeat and despair that still weighs on our thoughts of what might have been. It was a roller coaster year of emotional highs and lows, when unlikely dreams suddenly seemed possible, only to be dashed time and again. It marked the end of my political innocence, born in the magic of John Kennedy’s Camelot.

Beautiful song! I too lived through that time. The 60’s and early 70’s brought so much hope and promise–all dashed to the ground. The backlash is always so cruel and painful. The darkness doesn’t want you to raise your head. Keep that head down, all you who are believers in the light, it seems to say. And we meekly do. Don’t you know? The light will overcome the dark! So raise that head and sing out strong! Keep love in your heart and light in your eyes!!!

2 Likes

I was one that never danced in the streets when Obama was selected for POTUS. The author seems too intelligent to " believe again"…but I guess that is why the Democratic Party has been called: " THE MORE EFFECTIVE EVIL!"

2 Likes

The author should read up on the crimes of LBJ. Caro did a brilliant job of capturing the essence of LBJ and the times but he omitted the crimes of LBJ and his foreknowledge of the hit on JFK.

1 Like

“The personal is the political.” John de Graaf blends his recollections from 1968 with some of the many events that occurred during that watershed year into an enlightening oral history. This was a worthwhile read.