Home | About | Donate

The Years Since I Was Jailed for Releasing the 'War Diaries' Have Been a Rollercoaster

The Years Since I Was Jailed for Releasing the 'War Diaries' Have Been a Rollercoaster

Chelsea Manning

Today marks five years since I was ordered into military confinement while deployed to Iraq in 2010. I find it difficult to believe, at times, just how long I have been in prison. Throughout this time, there have been so many ups and downs – it often feels like a physical and emotional roller coaster.

Shame on Obama for not issuing a pardon for this hero. And double shame on Obama for not prosecuting the war criminals who prosecuted this hero for exposing them.

Thank you, Chelsea Manning for your bravery and integrity. You tower over those military thugs shown in the picture on both sides of you.

A time will come where the various Presidential administrations that fell under thrall to the Military Industrial Complex, and thereby let The Beast loose on too much of the world will be tarred, feathered and go down in infamy.

To the contrary, your name, along with those of Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, John Kiriakou, and whistle-blowers of various strokes and focused on a variety of key issues will be seen for the heroes and heroines that they are.

Bravo!

Just as Nelson Mandela, Lech Walesa, and others forced to spend long years in prison later emerged to lead their nations... I believe you will not serve out your full term.

Public Office requires persons like yourself. That you have maintained your sanity throughout this ordeal is its own testament to moral strength... if not greatness.

Such behavior is indeed shameful zen, for the least transparent president who once promised to be the most transparent president.

"In 2010, I was considerably less mature than I am now, and the potential
consequences and outcomes of my actions seemed vague and very surreal
to me. I certainly expected the worst possible outcome, but I lacked a
strong sense of what “the worst” would entail. I did expect to be
demonized and targeted, to have every moment of my life re-examined and
analyzed for every possible personal flaw and blemish, and to have them
used against me in the court of public opinion or against transgender
people as a whole."

Oh puke! Manning was not imprisoned for being transgendered. He/she was imprisoned for divulging that which was not to be divulged. You did the deed and now you must pay the price by going to prison which is a nasty and revolting place. Joining the military is a cross between voluntary servitude and an organized crime family. Deal with it and stop whining like some self-absorbed fashion model who broke one of her press on nails before some big photo shoot.

Hit a hot button there, did she?

Heroism is genderless.

Manning is a hero.

Manning is a hero when Manning accepts the penalty for the heroic act done. Instead Manning is whininhg about how unfair it all is--which is true--but also should have been part of counting the cost for what was done. Otherwise Manning is just a wannabe celebrity desperately searching some way to get someone to notice.

You are welcome to your guesses as is everybody else on this forum. I'm guessing that your definition of "compassion" is someone who agrees with your take on any situation. If so we must agree to disagree.

Chelsea isn't saying that she went to prison for being transgendered. She is expressing concern that her actions reflect on the transgendered community in a negative way. She was and is well aware of the consequences of going to prison.

Joining the military is indeed a choice which comes with many moral questions. But Chelsea decided to expose the brutality of the crimes and the servitude.

Finally, gays, lesbians and trans people know quite a bit about the difference between fashion modeling and oppression. We are good at the first and will fight you for the last. It's called integrity. Try it sometime.

You call yourself a poet? You should be ashamed.

Bull. Revealing war crimes should be lauded, not punished.
You seem to have a different issue. Manning isn't 'whining' - you are