Home | About | Donate

There’s No Strategy Behind Trump’s Wars — Only Brute Force

There’s No Strategy Behind Trump’s Wars — Only Brute Force

Phyllis Bennis

These are awesome days for headline writers. So many global settings, such an abundance of weapons, such a wealth of choices!

On the morning of April 14, the New York Times led with “A Giant U.S. Bomb Strikes ISIS Caves in Afghanistan,” matched by CNN’s “US Drops ‘Mother of All Bombs.'” The Washington Post chose Syria, where “Errant U.S. Strike Kills 18: Victims in Syria Were Allied Forces.” By mid-afternoon that same day, the Associated Press had shifted to the horn of Africa, where the “U.S. Sends Dozens of Troops to Somalia, 1st Time in Decades.”

Yes, we have to keep up the struggle. Our only adversaries are a bought and paid for Congress and Senate, Executive Branch, Judiciary, and the Pentagon, not to mention Homeland Security.
* Also be aware that NorthCom for several years has been quietly training returning troops from the ME wars in "Suppression of Civil Dissent."
* They're getting ready. Are We the People?
;-})

There’s No Strategy Behind USA foreign policy — Only Brute Force: war, pillaging, and plundering.

Exactly what strategy was there in the previous administration's slaughter? And the many slaughters since the end of WW2? And exactly what did any of these slaughters achieve? And when does "war" (occupation/oppression) not require the massive use of brute force? Trump is an inheritor of all this, not an initiator.

I guess it's career suicide to say that almost, if not all, of these military extravaganzas are actually war crimes. It's suicide to say that $125 million was spent on these two illegal strikes alone. The reports of $1 million for each tomahawk missile is off by $ 870 thousand and again is career ending suicide. No wonder a big portion of corporate news is considered 'fake' for those that read independent crowd sourced journalism such as Common Dreams or Counterpunch.The warmongering neocons of Washington have been given free reign by an administration that doesn't have a damn clue about what they're doing. Really, I hope the powers of the Universe will intervene, or, if not, the anti-war protesters before we all get vaporized.

Precisely. The foreign policy nightmare got going at the end of WW II with the dropping of the nukes on Japan.

Welcome to the realization we are in WWIII ... and it is being intensified.

To me - we need to understand the inter-relatedness of all the issues ... when I speak or write about this I use the image of a multi-faceted diamond. It doesn't matter which issue anyone begins with. So pick the issue about which you are most passionate or touches your life, shift perspective so it is understood as a facet of a larger reality that needs transforming ... and constructively join forces with others. It is already happening - we just need to pick up the pace ... a lot.

The only wars he should be waging are those against corruption and big business right here in the US.

Yes, and keep Guantanamo open to house the oligarchs and the politicians they own after they are brought to justice

The universal strategy behind most wars during the lifetime of CD readers is to sustain an eternal revenue stream for the military industrial media infotainment complex (MIMIC) that morphed from the military industrial complex Eisenhower warned us about in 1961.

Then he would have to start by spanking himself, entering a cell, and throwing the key out the window. He probably won't.
;-})

Renewed wars brought and sold by the bellicose blond boomer, err bomber; what a bummer, eh!

The opening rounds of WW-III began with Operation Crossroads in 1946. Between 1945 (Hiroshima and Nagasaki) and 1998, there were a total of 2,053 nuclear bombs set off. The majority surface or air bursts.
US 1,032
Russia 715
France 210
China 45
India 4
Pakistan 2
* Look at the statistics on cancers, birth defects, various diseases during and since that time. Not to mention such things as Chernobyl, Fukushima, TMI, huge amounts of Depleted Uranium, etc.
* I am a nuclear veteran of that first phase (Redwing, Marshall Islands, 1956) and I survived my exposure. Many didn't. The horror of those bombs still gives me flashbacks. I've spent much of my life working for an end to nuclear, period; and for us to adopt a philosophy of world peace.
* Now, I am looking at a pack of madmen who want to go to phase two and start throwing these things at each other in wholesale lots, and a couple of hundred million people who just shrug their shoulders and tweet.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I Have Seen the Dragon

I have seen the Dragon
Through clenched lids and arms pressed tight.
I have felt its hot breath on my back
And listened to the rumble of its voice.

I have looked upon its breath,
Glowing Amethyst, red and purple,
Climbing towards the stratosphere
To deposit its venom downwind.

I have waited in fear as my gums began to bleed
And my hair came out in clumps.
I breathed a prayer of thanks
As I began to heal.

After fifty years, our ranks are thin,
We who have seen the Dragon and survived.
Those who have died or are sickened still,
Their numbers are legion.

All we can hope for, work for, pray for,
Is that no madman will ever be allowed
To unleash the Dragon again.
For its legacy to all is death, disease and decay.

© Stephen M. Osborn
2 November 2006
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
;-})

Question for Ms. Bennis: Would Trump's wars be somehow more acceptable if there was a "strategy" behind them?

I think she is right. It should begin on april 29th with the climate march. I'm pretty sure our constant bomb dropping is bad for the environment.

Like he isn't a prime example of those.

Sorry - but i don't put CD and CP in the same category ... CD and too many other "prog" sites are way too much pro Dem for me ... indep. voices are quashed - can't help wondering how much of the "prog" press would be swooning over Sanders, e.g., if he weren't a de facto Dem ...

Good question - but i think there was no different "strategy" behind Bush I and II, Clinton and O wars than behind Trump's - and yet our reaction seems decidedly different depending on the Party waging them ...

We give Ds a pass when they wage them and whack Rs when they do - but they are pretty much seamless across time ...

Considering that the duopoly always seems to come together around war - I really don't understand why all the anti-war folk don't come together in a concerted effort to get them out of office and replace them with indep. non-corp party folks .... That seems to me a no-brainer, but it is also the most neglected solution considered ...

Guess we better start saying our prayers because other super powers might decide to nuke the United States before the crazy idiot try's to come after them.

THE USA -and not least of all the world- HAS A CHILD WITH A NUCLEAR TRIGGER IN A POSITION OF POWER WITH RECKLESS ELITE GLOBALIST "PARENTS".

You can't MOVE-On. The planet has to deal with it! - and by "it" I don't mean President Trump - he's just a symptom not the cause.

Happy Earth Day.