Home | About | Donate

There’s One Big Unfinished Promise By Bill Clinton that Hillary Should Put to Bed

There’s One Big Unfinished Promise By Bill Clinton that Hillary Should Put to Bed

Robert Reich

What can be done to deter pharmaceutical companies from jacking up prices of critical drugs? To prevent Wall Street banks from excessive gambling? To nudge CEOs into taking a longer-term view? To restrain runaway CEO pay?

Answer to all four: Fulfill Bill Clinton’s 1992 campaign pledge.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof. John Kenneth Galbraith

The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectable. John Kenneth Galbraith

In economics, hope and faith coexist with great scientific pretension and also a deep desire for respectability. John Kenneth Galbraith

Economics is a subject profoundly conducive to cliche, resonant with boredom. On few topics is an American audience so practiced in turning off its ears and minds. And none can say that the response is ill advised. John Kenneth Galbraith

One of the greatest pieces of economic wisdom is to know what you do not know. John Kenneth Galbraith

Few can believe that suffering, especially by others, is in vain. Anything that is disagreeable must surely have beneficial economic effects. John Kenneth Galbraith

Great, succinct point made.

the top 20 banks paid their executives over $2 billion in performance bonuses between 2012 and 2015. That translates into a taxpayer subsidy of $1.7 million per executive per year.

Perfect example. Thank you.

I like the double entendre in the headline.

Instead of merely trying to limit the speed at which inequality grows beyond its already world-destroying level, we should treat life in the US and the world as a cooperative venture, which of course it is. We should first stop spending 90% of our money, time and resources on useless and destructive things, then we should split up the proceeds evenly--completely evenly.

The only way democracy can work is for everyone to get exactly the same pay at a level that's sustainable for all of humanity and allows the Earth to regenerate. Necessities that can be paid in kind, should be--land or housing, medical care (single payer), etc.

Any extra money people with certain addictions have will be spent on rent-seeking--getting more money to get more power and vice versa in an ever-increasing spiral that leads inevitably to authoritarianism. It will take generations to repair the damage to ourselves that inequality, twisted childhoods, and all the rest of what we've done has done. Until we achieve radical equality we're unlikely to start the repairs.

Robert,
It seems like all of your other colleagues in the Clinton administration were conservatives. How did that feel?

Ah, I thought from the headline that this would be about finishing off Social Security. H. Clinton's "concerns" about corporate profiteering are seen in her own record. On Social Security: After ending actual welfare, Bill Clinton quietly began similarly "reforming" Social Security, targeting the disabled. In fact, by 2000, the disabled became the fastest-growing group of homeless people. There are no doubts that H. Clinton hopes to pick up where her husband left off, dismantling Social Security one piece at a time.

Ah, I thought from the headline that this would be about finishing off Social Security. H. Clinton's "concerns" about corporate profiteering are seen in her own record.

Along with ending actual welfare, Bill Clinton took the first steps to similarly "reform" Social Security, targeting the disabled. There are no doubts that Hillary Clinton hopes to pick up where her husband left off, dismantling Social Security one piece at a time.

Are you going to change your tactics, stop using lies, straw person misrepresentations and other dishonest techniques and apologize and retract all those false statements you already made? Then we can have a conversation.

But I will answer the question just in case it isn't simply more trolling, even though it's another example of a supposedly magical question that the asker believes is a powerful test, or something that reveals some flaw in their opponent. As always with denying delayalists, trolls, reactionaries and the like, it's nothing of the kind. It only reveals yet another gross misperception of reality and meaning.

This crisis will not be solved by a tiny number of people, who already live pretty simply because they've always cared, further reducing that impact while the vast majority of rich people and the system they collaborate with go on destroying. Personal solutions are important--to inspire, to teach the way and remove the fear of it, and especially to integrate inner and outer personal lives and political action for the warriors who lead the way. But in the end concentrating on personal action to the detriment of massive peaceful revolution will lead to failure and the end of civilization. It's that political action that will make the difference between surviving and not.

I live in a house much smaller than I need; gave up driving about 10 years ago, and flying about 5 years ago. I grow about half my own food and a fair amount for others, along with construction and other materials and fiber and dyes. I'm in the process of planting a 1/2 acre food forest on the land I live on, sequestering carbon and will within a few years be producing enough food here for everyone who lives with me and others besides.

It's very difficult to live that kind of life in a society that rejects all of it in reality and meaning, and it means giving up time, and effectiveness in accomplishing some of the other things that we have to accomplish. If we hope to succeed, many people who care have to not live that life; they have to live a life they're trying to dismantle in order to change the rest of society, who won't give it up willingly or don't know how or aren't willing to sacrifice what they need to.

Thinking of such people--the caring immersed--as hypocrites is judgmental, pointless and counterproductive; it perpetuates the conservative lie that we exist only as individuals. The only way to avoid climate catastrophe is to cooperate through the agency of government that's not owned by corporations, run by corporations and for the perceived, short term interests of corporations.

Corporations and the wealthy are not likely to give up their power to control our lives, governments, media... We have to break the spell of capitalism, dismantle the system of inequality and manipulation, and redirect it's psychotic, (out of touch with reality), psychopathic (feeling little or no connection to life in oneself or others) resources to creating a sustainable society.

That society can never exist unless it's based on healthy relationships, to humans and the rest of nature, and while that's a long term project, we need to at least acknowledge that that's the overarching goal, and we need to survive long enough to accomplish it. We need to solve the climate crisis before it's too late and for that a massive immediate revolution of peaceful direct action, stopping the operation of the fossil fuel industry and compelling its replacement with clean safe resilient renewable energy is necessary. It's only the first step but it's a crucial, absolutely necessary step. It can't be done while the sick, stunted and twisted psychological and philosophical basis of capitalism is the ruling paradigm.

I see you're going to continue to use strawperson arguments, distract with irrelevancies, misrepresent and lie about me, yourself, and the subject, about how you continue to leap to wrong conclusions, refuse to apologize for or retract anything, and attack for no reason. Goodbye.