Home | About | Donate

'They Are Executing An Innocent Man!': Final Words of Walter Barton Spark Fresh Demand for End to US Death Penalty

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/20/they-are-executing-innocent-man-final-words-walter-barton-spark-fresh-demand-end-us

2 Likes

What, exactly does murdering a murderer accomplish? Then there are the inevitable cases where innocent people are killed by the State, which I believe are the most egregious of all capital crimes.

3 Likes

It reinforces the state’s monopoly on the legitimate–or at least “lawful”–use of violence (assuming that wasn’t a purely rhetorical question).

3 Likes

We are a death cult nation. No surprises here.

3 Likes

From Prison Notes, Neil J. Smith:

While you can’t discount a book by its cover you can’t overrule your first instincts either. One of the many CO’s with whom I’ve had the fortune or, in some cases, misfortune to work with , one of late, a young blood, as they say, with a military air, crew cut, and crude of manner, played a number of hands of cards with Tony, another fellow CO. Tony is among the most amenable people I know, and is a pleasure to work with. I paid little to no attention to them during their care games, but after the game broke Tony approached me, as the new jack stepped out for a smoke, and remarked, “That guy is a KKK member.”
I shook my head and replied, “The people you gotta count on with your life in this place.”

Today, Sunday, Sept 29th., produced one of the most disturbing episodes I’ve experienced since working at Greene: A couple of gray beards, men in good community standing, men of prominence, who often visit and just as frequently bring me a cup of coffee informed me, “He’ll be released soon. So this is our last visit.” The taller of the two then said, “He didn’t deserve this. He’s going to be 69. He got eight years for a rape he did not commit. He was a successful man, a prosperous man, a wealthy man. That’s all done now. His reputation is shot, his name is mud. She destroyed him for her own selfish gain.”
I asked, “What will he do now?”
He shrugged, disenchanted, “No one knows.”
We shook hands for the last time and wished each other “God speed.”

A gentleman I’ve come to like considerably explained to me: “MY son is here on drugs. My brother took a gun, went to the woods and killed himself because he was terrified of having to undergo withdrawal.” It was the end of the day and I was happy to finally be able to leave. It was heart wrenching, and I would open the car windows for a breath of fresh air, as I wend my way home.

alison, often the fathers of inmates drive their wives and children of inmates up but won’t visit themselves —as if wishing to not be tainted. And fathers who do not visit are guilt ridden. However, the scientist seems to have taken an objective stance and explains, “This was long in coming. It was an avenue down which he was headed and we could not head him off.”

Rest in peace, Walter. May you go to a far better place.

Meanwhile, Trump who incites violence, hatred, and is responsible for the many deaths due to COVID-19 in US America not only walks free but heads the government.

5 Likes

“The death penalty has been completely abolished in all European countries except for Belarus and Russia, the latter of which has a moratorium and has not conducted an execution since sept. 1996.”

Time to abolish this Draconian practice.

4 Likes

Indeed, my country Denmark abolished the death penalty in 1930. If you except the execution of Nazi collaborators after WWII, the last death penalty was carried out in 1892 using an axe!

2 Likes

Many of the recent executions have been of men held on death row for almost three decades. To any person with the slightest degree of humanity this would be considered “cruel and unusual” punishment. But not our judges and politicians. Is it because where blood should be running in their veins they have ice cold water. The United States is backwards on so many things and this is a big example of a regressive nation that is mired in hatred and violence. What is wrong with this place?

1 Like

An axe. Even more barbaric.

The “Exonerated”/“Innocent” Frauds

71-83% Error Rate in “Innocent” Claims, Well Known Since 2000

The “Exonerated”/“Innocent” Frauds

Deception: The DPIC “Exonerated”/“Innocence” List
(see fact checking/vetting model)
at prodpinnc

The 4.1% “Innocent” on Death Row: More Nonsense
at prodpinnc

Death Row, “Exonerations”, Media & Intentional Fraud
at prodpinnc