Home | About | Donate

'They Pointed Guns at My Kids': Outrage After Florida Cops Raid Home of Scientist Who Refused to Censor Covid-19 Data

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/12/08/they-pointed-guns-my-kids-outrage-after-florida-cops-raid-home-scientist-who-refused

7 Likes

“If DeSantis thought pointing a gun in my face was a good way to get me to shut up, he’s about to learn just how wrong he was,”

Good for you ms. Jones. Don’t be intimidated by these rogue creatures.

11 Likes

If the police are going to be present they should be rounding up the hooligans toting guns in the way they are.
This is not the same as the person packing a pistol for self defense. This is armed intimidation.

8 Likes

No surprise, this, coming from Florida’s own mini-Trump. Shocking, though, to see the lengths to which the powers that be feel they can go to intimidate political opponents. We’re no longer a democratic republic, folks. Straight up Empirical fascists now. God help us.

4 Likes

Once sanity returns after January 20th, this lady is going to have an open and shut case against the Florida government.

DeSantis included.

5 Likes

Intimidation no, armed “assault” yes.

5 Likes

Today, there are thousands of lawyers in Florida praying to their diety of choice, “Please let her pick me to represent her when she files suit.” This one is a slamdunk.

3 Likes

Do Americans hate whistleblowers? American power brokers, politicians, and corporations (I’m being redundant) hate whistleblowers, I’m doubtful the people agree with the boss on this one.

From a recent Marist poll (yeah, I know, polls):

• 86% stating that there should be stronger legal protections to protect whistleblowers who are federal employees and who report fraud in government programs
  • 82% stating that passing stronger laws to protect employees who report corporate fraud should be a priority for congress
2 Likes

If I ignore it, it will go away. Standard mantra of a conservative. Terrified of what they cannot control, angry if something bad happens, they will do whatever is in their power to squash the truth and/or blame someone else for it. Which is why the US, with 4% of the world’s population, has 22% of Covid cases(measured, probably a lot higher than that). Which matches up with our use of global resources…Guess Gaia is thinning us out so we use only our fair share of what she has to give.
And conservatives will resort to violence to silence these issues, whether it’s a child that’s not perfect or a race of people that they think aren’t human but want a place at the welcome table. DiSantis did the same thing with hurricanes.
Now, to really mess up your mood, the Ohio state government has a super-majority of Republicans ruling both state houses plus the Supreme Court and the Governor. Whole lot of stupid in that state. I suspect the spirits of the Shawnee and other tribes who lived there before the wave of squatters moved in are getting their revenge, which is a dish always best served cold…

7 Likes

So much for our much-exaggerated and ballyhooed “freedoms”. We are certainly “free” to shop and consume as much as we want to and can afford to, but we rub the ever more fascist police state the wrong way when we dare to suggest that the petty tyrants who we elect just might be lying to us.

DeSantis is a jerk.

2 Likes