Home | About | Donate

Thinking of Amazon Workers This Holiday Season

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/12/09/thinking-amazon-workers-holiday-season

2 Likes

I was looking for an item at Bass Pro Shops yesterday and did not find exactly what I was looking for. Although I knew I could find it on Amazon, I also know of other stores that I pass by frequently that may carry that item. I think I shall eschew the one-click for it. Still, it does hurt the workers at Amazon, so life’s imperfections creep up no matter what I do. As my father was wont to say, “life is a series of tradeoffs.” Let’s think of all workers this holiday season and always. Their smiles and good cheer often override difficulties going on in their lives. Let’s also think of those who want to work but can’t find it. Let’s also do what we can to push our governments to to their jobs to get things right! Peace.

3 Likes

I am sorry to say that I use Amazon a lot. I live out in the sticks, and as someone in her 60s, and overweight to boot, I can either drive into town, possibly go to multiple stores in search of something, exposing myself to the virus at each one, or I can stay home and go online. That being said, I also scrupulously shop my local retailers in my small town when I do go there.

2 Likes

One of the truly awful things about Amazon is that , per the workers, the bathrooms are too far away and they are timed on everything as workers. I suppose the slaves in America were timed too. I think a it was a man named Thomas Taylor was the one who created the timed work idea, that it takes so many minutes to do a task—and the time must be fulfilled to keep a job.
Amazon work places are giant caverns with high level of pallets holding all of the stuff.

There were game shows once which gave contestants times to do specific tasks —but for a human being to have to race against a clock to keep their jobs—that is truly inhuman. : (

3 Likes

I don’t use Amazon, to be fair, I’m not much of a consumer either. I use the internet to source somethings locally which is getting harder to do. Many places are no longer in business. I also, try my favorite places where the money goes to specific things like hospice. I actually have pretty good luck with that too.

I would object to the working conditions if I worked there, it must be horrible.

Hi fern: I have never bought anything from Amazon either. But they can k eep selling when the mom and pop businesses have to shut down. Besides, I have heard that Amazon will take on new products, then mimic them and undercut them and put the new people out of business. : (

1 Like

I suppose they have jobs. They wont be evicted and lose all their possessions.

Merry Christmas. God bless us, everyone.

People who are couch surfing might be able to afford to keep some of their stuff in a storage locker, but they often lose it all when they cant pay rent for it.

I agree, a good share of people I know use it because of convenience, but there is a huge downside. It really limits decision making too when your choices are provided for you. If they could reduce or eliminate some of bad things I might reconsider but I still like the experience of small business as opposed to group think and user agreements.

1 Like

That’s likely because they didn’t have new and original ideas that they could or were patentable. But even having a patent is no guarantee you’ll receive the benefits. Big corporations have huge amounts of IP, because they can afford the legal teams, in the real world, IP attorneys cost $2000/hour.

1 Like

Hi zed:
OMG------it’s getting harder and harder to be a human in America. : (

1 Like

It’s American to want to make lots of money.

Here is an interesting idea, to expand the market economy to other species.

~http://www.thecrowbox.com/

There is no free lunch, you know.

Hi zed:
Yes, I know were is no free lunch------ but the workers are starving —while the owners are gorging as if they live in a vomitorium! . : ( I’m going to read the crow box that you suggest : )

Hi zed:
I found lots of things on" crowbox" , including feeding crows and training them—and others use the word crow in games and pix…so I am not sure what you meant . I would ike to feed crows but the stellar jays already eat all the food! : )

The crows pay for the peanuts, one quarter gets them a couple of peanuts, its a huge markup, if you buy them the way I do.

You wouldn’t believe the stories I’ve heard from North Korean defectors. Ive heard what seem like thousands of them. I have even met some. Slavery does still exist, in a form that’s far worse than many think. If people raise even a single peep of protest, or even roll their eyes, they are as good as dead. Not just them but all the other people who were tasked to work with them and sometimes even three generations of their family. Many of them are missing limbs, eyes, ears, but they still have to work until the harsh conditions kill them. Some of the ones who have had the worst experiences (very few have escaped to tell the stories) now live here in the US because if they remained in South Korea they would be tracked down and killed by the DPRK. I could show you where these things happen, you can see them from space.

What I am saying is, humans will put up with a lot, especially if you use the boiling frogs technique.

GATS blocks the things Democrats want. I’m not lying to you, it does. And has for a long time. Ever since at least Jan 1, 1995, and probably long before that.

many of the workers at Amazon - I dont know how many, though, are foreign subcontractors whose employers are foreign staffing and subcontrcting firms. Thats supposed to become the future of much work. because they are cheaper. Nobody is forcing Americans to work at these places. There are no 800 volt electric fences around them, with deep trenches and shit smeared spikes hammered into logs placed far enough apart so that people will get seriously injured falling in (made by slave labor, and visible from space, do you want to know where to find them?) at the bottom, so that people will bleed and leave a trail for the dogs right to them.

Why do people keep pretending here that single payer or UBI is right around the corner, its absolutely forbidden to us unless we bargain our way free, its called the GATS Article 21 procedure, we’d have to trade away some of the other concessions we bought, with these concessions. We officially traded more and more future jobs away if others can do them for less. Thats called “PROGRESSIVE liberalization” in these labor mobility deals.

maybe I’m wrong but lots of documents that sure seem to be authoritative are pretty explicit in explaining the changes. Do you trust the US media, and the six corporations, or say the UNCTAD or EUA dot eu. Are we phasing out services of general economic interest (SGEIs) and their universal service guarantees?

The lack of the basic knowledge that I try to explain, even not being an expert - about GATS often here, seems to be confusing lots of people, why are they going to such lengths to hide it from ALL of us…

See ~https://ebrary.net/42530/education/sgeis for an example of what I mean. This Australian web site reprints a Canadian government paper that does its best - it is a good shot at explaining it.

~http://members.iinet.net.au/~jenks/GATS_BC2001.html

Frederick Winslow Taylor?

also Leffingwell. But hes not as mean spirited. His books are still very useful in helping decompose any task into its pieces, which is the core thing thats needed to automate them. Jobs are going away, rapidly. We have to stop pretending they arent.

Look at it this way, workers, when working, are being paid to work, thats the way US business still myopically looks at it.

(research shows that people who work and rest more are more productive, we should let workers take naps, many other cultures know this!)

Increasingly, here in the US various means are being used to ensure pay is only for work, that’s the idea behind the gig economy. Read Taylor who is much more influential than many people claim. The US economy is an extreme example, with our weak labor unions. So our workers, our indigenous labor force, are always used as the example, of where the biggest changes will be. we’re (the working and professional classes here in the US) in a very real sense are expected to be the biggest losers of globalization. But we’ve been dragging our feet!

Economics is claimed to insist that wages should fall proportionately as demand declines and supply, the number of workers who would do a given job, increases.

Increasing the size of the labor pool, to say 7 billion potential workers instead of only 320 million will increase the potential supply.

1 Like