Home | About | Donate

This Fourth of July, Time To Tell the Truth About the Confederacy and Its Symbols

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/07/03/fourth-july-time-tell-truth-about-confederacy-and-its-symbols

Do remember that The American Revolution also had one of its goals the preservation of slavery. Property rights were enshrined in that first Constitution so as to ensure things like the Somerset Decision that occurred in Great Britain , would never arise in the new United States of America.

The protection of slavery as an institution was demanded by the Southern Colonies and in return they would join the other Colonies in Rebellion against the crown.

This was part of the ruling by the British Judge in 1772. Keep in mind that with such a decision the institution of slavery would have to end throughout the Empire. It took some years to make that the case but the ruling made it inevitable.

The state of slavery is of such a nature, that it is incapable of being introduced on any reasons, moral or political; but only positive law, which preserves its force long after the reasons, occasion, and time itself from whence it was created, is erased from memory: it’s so odious, that nothing can be suffered to support it, but positive law. Whatever inconveniences, therefore, may follow from a decision, I cannot say this case is allowed or approved by the law of England; and therefore the black must be discharged.

Under what was deemed repugnancy laws, no British Colony could pass laws that was contrary to British laws. The Southern slave owners had so much invested in their Slaves, they would have lost their plantations if the practice outlawed.

Given most accept that preserving the institution of Slavery was the main reason the South rebelled in 1861 and this the truth of the Confederacy leading to these calls to dismantle the symbols of the South and “Their Noble Cause” , I submit the same argument can be made regarding the American Revolution and I also suggest that those that cling to THAT as some “Noble Cause” , are just as uninformed as those that support the Confederate flag today are.

Remember that as well on the 4th of July.

Remember that, in the United States of Amnesia?

“If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union”

Abraham Lincoln

The toppling of monuments and downing of flags is the beginning. Were we to stop here, it would only be cosmetic. We have to make certain that our history books rightly teach how this country was founded upon slavery and genocide, that we became a powerful country because we were cheating; we were stealing humans and forcing them to work for us without pay so that our profits would be greater.