Home | About | Donate

This Fracking Setback Will Only Lead to More Victories

This Fracking Setback Will Only Lead to More Victories

Wenonah Hauter

Colorado’s high court on Monday struck down the rights of Coloradans to enact local fracking bans. It’s no surprise, given the massive sway of the oil and gas industry in the state. The suit was brought against Longmont (which passed a popular fracking ban in 2012) by Governor John Hickenlooper and his industry cronies.

Republicans: "States' Rights right now!"

The states, they believe, can better determine their way than the federal government. Now when localities try to determine their own way (against the Republicans' wet and oily dream of fracking), Republicans balk at such matters.

Cognitive Dissonance Overload!

Activism against fracking has been characterized by a mixture of victories and setbacks and that will probably hold true in the future. While the Constitution pipeline for fracked gas from Pennsylvania through New York was stopped. Spectra Energy's expansion of a pipeline for fracked gas from Pennsylvania through New York to New England continues to be constructed despite ongoing efforts by activists to stop it. Ultimately the best way to stop fracking is to replace natural gas and oil with renewable energy as quickly as possible. The bottom line is that people need energy to function as a society and it has to come from somewhere. The quicker it comes from sources that do not emit carbon dioxide like solar, wind, and geothermal the better.

When looking at New York's water supply one is amazed that it is even possible that so large a system was even created but that it has been preserved. Could such a system be created and set up as a protected resource now? Not even remotely likely. Call it the Central Park moment where a large parcel of land in the center of the city has been created and preserved (for the most part) despite its being worth literally trillions of dollars in real estate value. The new era of the anthropocene beckons and it Is in fact somewhat hostile to man if you can believe it. The era of limits is nigh. There will not be anymore Central Parks in our future. That era which could still create a Central Park is over.

The best we can do now is to preserve what we already have because we will not be getting any more. Fresh potable water in Colorado is a limited resource! Protect what we have because we will not be getting any new sources of drinkable water.

The Anthropocene is all about limits. The bountiful days are done. The days of want and scarcity begin. Fear those who would make a profit by sacrificing other people's resources... Like drinkable water.

I deeply appreciate your very salient noting of the NYC water reservoir system - but find myself 180 degrees from your timing out on the "Central Park Moment", an excellent articulation of a perspective in my opinion, by the way.

It is precisely the scale ratio of a population to resource that people can begin to relate to as a starting point for urban identity with greater nature. In fact, it seems to me to propose, for instance, a sensibility to counter the stasis of stunned recognition of sea level rise. Granted, the latter impacts precisely what has been taken for granted in the hyper materialism so characteristic of what we increasingly call the anthropocene era (and our errors).

I agree the era of limits is nigh and deep appreciation for what can be drawn from past experiences, like the water system, and those decisions and their longevity of efficacy is an example of a classroom teacher's and civic unity dream lesson.

Us oldies need to exercise jujitsu on the systemic conceptualizations of limitations. Yes, limitations, but not on human genius (spirit) that can look at what is already here, taken for granted and passed by every day without celebrating their beauty and potential as models.

Kudos for reminding this old goat of a stunning treasure right before our eyes!

Figure that there could ever be another Central Park created somewhere else? Maybe they could try in some place like the Amazon but it never happens. That looking to the future mentality seems forever lost. For example despite all its history, NYC rarely preserves very old buildings. They do preserve architectural notables and examples of styles etc but very old buildings like from the revolutionary war days are mostly gone. A famous case was a two story brick building from the revolutionary war era that was torched and destroyed because someone wanted to use the space as a parking lot. The parking area was constructed. The business failed and went bankrupt a few years later and that as the end of it. The site simply is part of the street last time I went there to check a decade ago. Not even a plaque.

My point is that a Central Park or a NYC reservoir system simply would not be created. In Colorado where it could still be possible, fracking destroys that potential. A true crime poisoning the wells. A biblical crime in fact. For all their baloney about fundamentalism (Cruz and company)... Poisoning the wells is an ancient abomination.

Substitute the word "fight" for your use of the word "fear" and I will give you a like. Fear is for cowards. Fear freezes your senses and ability to react. Fear is what they want; a fight is exactly what they do not want. You see, there are way more of us than them!

It is not only the Cruzes of the world, but include Democrats like our Dem Gov Hickenlooper and his side kick our Dem Senator Bennet (a lot more to these two's cozy relationship and their connection to the oil/gas industry than time allows now) and I am a democrat. Colorado politics is no different from other states, or nationally. It is owned by the Big Corporate $$$$$. Sad thing is that we keep voting in the very people who screw us.

True words all. Hickenlooper appointed Bennet to replace Ken Salazar who was appointed by Obama to be Sec of Interior and who left that job to open a new office for the international law firm WilmerHale in Denver, defender of BP in the Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster, while Salazar was Sec of Interior! Salazar's deputy at Interior, Tom Strickland also went to work for WilmerHale at about the same time as Salazar. Coincidence of coincidinces, Sen Bennet also worked for WilmerHale prior to being appointed Senator of Colorado by Hickenlooper to replace Salazar. A lot of people representing the people of Colorado seem to swim in pools of oil or are working for the oil industry life guards! Oh, Hickenlooper was an oil field geologist prior to brewing beer in Denver.