Home | About | Donate

'This Is a Coup': Protests Engulf Wisconsin Capitol as Outgoing Scott Walker and GOP Move to Cripple Democratic Power

'This Is a Coup': Protests Engulf Wisconsin Capitol as Outgoing Scott Walker and GOP Move to Cripple Democratic Power

Jake Johnson, staff writer

As Wisconsin Republicans voted to plow ahead with a sweeping package of legislation that would allow outgoing Gov. Scott Walker to strip significant authority from Democratic governor-elect Tony Evers, outraged Wisconsinites flooded the state capitol Monday night to denounce the GOP's brazen attempt to subvert the will of the voters and "undo democracy itself."

"They can't believe people are coming out in this weather once they hear how cold it is. We're proving them wrong right now. This is what democracy looks like."
—Ben Wikler, MoveOn.org

4 Likes

In the immediate, short term these GOP lame ducks should be forcibly removed from the building. In the longer term, any legislation they now propose should be cancelled by the incoming administration.

14 Likes

Koch brothers, meet the fire ants. Fire ants, meet the Koch brothers. The venue? A 5-foot by 5-foot by 5-foot terrarium–center stage. The price of admission? Let the market decide…

7 Likes

Kinda makes me wonder how much of this would be found to be unconstitutional in the States Courts.

8 Likes

Note to Democrats: If you were interested in learning about how politics is played circa 2018, this is a teachable moment.

19 Likes

“How is it that you have more power when you lose?”

Welcome to the question perennially posed by all on the receiving end of predatory capitalism as 21st century colonization of EVERY ASPECT of every aspect of life on planet earth.

Dang, there has been an unprecedented run of legacy lies, genocides and plunder - say a couple of thousand years - the terms of which are jealously guarded in all interactions by the poisoned powers that be. When people awaken to the screeching point of diminishing return where our skin is on the line - history looks a whole heck of a lot different and the breadth of voices that say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH draws a very deep breath and ORGANIZES in good faith - because NECESSITY is nature’s momma.

Heck, even the squalid world of advertising recognized the potential resonance of “Its not nice to fool mother nature”. Well, welcome to the real world. One alone can be broken, but many together get things done and are unbreakable!

14 Likes

Doncha just love the clarity of real teachable moments. It ain’t rocket science, its human beings experiencing the scales dropping from their eyes and seeing how the koch and other types have been tightening the fiddle strings for the devilś …

8 Likes

These Lame Duckies should also be blocked from even entering the building. Folks need to also shut everything down along with lawsuits.

14 Likes

Coup then back! Everywhere… from this moment on. Enuf of their BS tactics. Next to Climste Change, Trump has been the biggest Man Made Disaster in our lifetime!

5 Likes

I love that song with video and I use it in my ESL classes on breaks. So I went to a Charlie Daniels concert live on one of my stateside visits. I don’t remember what the man said, but ohmygosh that fellow was arch-conservative Repub.

1 Like

Look at the vote totals on the state contests. The Democrats %s are much larger but they lost, via gerrymandering.
" The tyranny of the minority. Just like Trumpster, get used to being hosed. " Jahn Jahnsan

4 Likes

Sad that republicans are such sore losers.

4 Likes

What a clear example of the strategy that the fascist Republicans are using to create permanent minority rule over the majority. Without policies to help people they know they have to put an end to democracy to retain power. People need to be out in the streets to try to stop this takeover of Wisconsin.

6 Likes

If you watched that clip of the Wisconsin rally at the capital you got a taste of the “fire in the belly” enthusiasm the CD community has been saying it will take for the American people to project on their federal, state, and local leaders to get things moving on all fronts with climate change, healthcare, and voters rights. It’s pretty obvious that if we don’t fight together the right-wing-nuts, the leaders and the followers will take advantage of that void, and fill it with more stumbling blocks for the average citizen.

9 Likes

The courts are stacked with Republicans

I’m with you JP, I support removing any GOP legislature from the building and preventing them from entrance to it in the future.

The will of the voters must be upheld.

At all costs.

7 Likes

sore losers would be ok, but total ethic less gaping loons without moral courage? these are the same people who claim to be patriots? they are without dignity and should be thrown into a cage with hungry hyenas

2 Likes

I’ll feel sorry for the hyenas if they get sick.

3 Likes

There’s a lot to unpack for Wisconsinites in your assertions. My only claim is that the raw numbers of votes cast would suggest a less Republican skewed legislative body.
BTW- The Republicans who want to strip the Governor & Atty. General of their former power are the same bunch who drew up the districts. Really, does it appear they are neutral arbiters of the people’s wishes/desires, as expressed by votes cast, by judging this abysmal work product?

4 Likes

The Republicans are truly despicable, but I guess they don’t care. I heard an interview with Tony Evers, the new Democratic governor, who was cool as a cucumber last night. He thinks Wisconsin Democrats will file a lawsuit immediately that will stop Scott and his minions in their tracks. I suspect Scott et.al. are acting so assholey because they are already underdogs and are pissed: never mind that the Republicans and Trump have brought all this on themselves. There is an evil infection in the Republican party currently that is nation-wide. Do power and greed/money mean THAT much to them? They are the ugly orcs of reality, truly loathsome, wretched, and vile. I cannot express my contempt for them enough.

5 Likes