Home | About | Donate

'This Is a Dog Whistle': Barrett Condemned for Implying That Being LGBTQ Is a Choice and Saying Working With Anti-Gay Hate Group Was 'Wonderful'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/10/13/dog-whistle-barrett-condemned-implying-being-lgbtq-choice-and-saying-working-anti

2 Likes

Someone needs to inform her that we are now living in the year 2020, not 1420.

I wonder if she knows any LGBTQ people. If she really did, she could not have held such a biased and ignorant view, nor worked with an anti-LGBTQ legal organization. And now she wants to decide laws which affect women (Roe v. Wade), LGBTQ people, and everyone depending on Obamacare.

Any Senator who votes to confirm her is an enemy of most people in this nation.

7 Likes

Being a conservative scumbag traitor to America is a choice and when these treasonous scum are done screwing up this nation living in a shithole nation will not be a choice.

3 Likes

How sad to be so close minded. This tunnel vision is shaped by her religion and will guide her decisions on the bench as she has self professed. We deserve a higher caliber justice in the vein of a Ginsberg not another Thomas.

6 Likes

I wonder what she would do with hearing that these traits are evident during childhood?

3 Likes

…"their sexual orientation is a choice, and described her experience with an anti-gay hate group as “wonderful.” Hmm, “wonderful”, that is a pretty strong statement it implies a very personal response to the issue. Is she a closet lesbian afraid of her own feelings trying to stuff them? Some of the most extreme anti gay officials have been gay; J.Edgar Hoover, Roy Cohn.

Anyone passionately anti gay has to be working on fear or anxiety. What we are most afraid of in others is frequently something in us we are ashamed of.

Analogy time: Replacing RBG with her is like replacing Thurgood Marshall with David Duke.

7 Likes

"During her 2017 confirmation hearing for the federal appeals court, Barrett said she would separate her faith from her work as a judge…

…A former member of Notre Dame’s “Faculty for Life,” Barrett, a devout Catholic, signed a 2015 letter to bishops that affirmed the “teachings of the Church as truth.” Among those teachings: the “value of human life from conception to natural death” and marriage-family values “founded on the indissoluble commitment of a man and a woman”…

https:/www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/on-key-issues-statements-and-rulings-by-amy-coney-barrett/article_853864c0-fbbc-11ea-9c8b-8b2b07717d56.html

3 Likes

That is not a dog whistle: it’s a bullhorn. The October issue of the humor monthly (We’re living in) Funny Times has a cartoon by Darrin Bell that draws it out for modern people who don’t read well (although the better one reads the clearer the picture becomes).

2 Likes

Cleopatra, Queen of DeNile.

Here I am, patiently waiting for Feinstein to bring some one front and center with a genuine remark about Judge Amy or give a vigorous series of disclosures.

Today, all I get is an ‘implied’.

Disappointed I am in Diane.
Maybe she is keeping her powder dry for Thursday.

The sum and substance of this is that certain rights need to be explicitly and non ambiguously put into the Constitution.

The explicit power for the Federal Government to operate a universal health cover scheme should also be in the Constitution. " The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes , Duties, Imposts and Excises" is not enough to save the ‘Affordable Care Act’ (or any advance on it) from challenges coming from politicians representing the interests of ‘short-term greed’.

1 Like

Catholic to the [ rotten ] core Amy has issues just because of her faith. She will vote against anything not supporting her religious views including lbgt rights , because her Christian bible says so. I suggest that she read the Bible for what it is and if she is such a good litigator , explain how she would defend the numerous commandments by the almighty for defenders of the faith to commit atrocities. For those Christians that are offended by my little rant, you need to read it also, and you might be enlightened to the entire truth of your faith. Dan Barker spells it out pretty well in his book, " GOD , The Most Unpleasant Character In All Fiction " . It’s a good read , just like the bible, because it is essentially the bible . Thanks to Dan for his efforts in spreading the truth .

2 Likes

sigh–the Preamble does say : “WE the PeopIe .”

It doesn’t say we, SOME of the PeopIe."

I aways wondered why Jesus, said to be a rabbi. never got married. Hmm, there’s a thought!

2 Likes

Jesus was probably married to Mary Magdalene.
She was a hero until some french guy made her out to be a woman scorned.

I apologize for missing their wedding reception.

3 Likes

Pence? The way he looks at Trump…

I have had this conversation in mixed groups several times… the “nature vs nurture” concept.

To me at least (and most people I know) the answer is “Who cares?” People are entitled to live as who they are OR who they want to be. The rest of us need to step back and realize we are only entitled to speak for ourselves and not others.

Maybe, just maybe, SOME people (not all) decide to be open to experiencing other lifestyles. So what? If they hurt no one, then all the more power to them! Who am I (or anyone else) to make a judgement about something that has NO effect on my health or wellbeing?

To me, it is one of those “Grow up” moments that we as humans need to apply to ourselves and not others. Whether I chose or was born to be who I am, it is not your call. Get used to it. Don’t f’ with me and tell me I have to answer to anyone else’s standards.

7 Likes

Unfortunately, much of the reporting here, and the commentary is muddled. The so-called Left has adopted very anti-gay, anti-woman, anti-rationality positions with respect to transgender issues. I don’t trust a thing Human Rights Campaign & other such “left” groups say. They have misrepresented gender critical people and attacked us. When only the “Right” questions the insane idea that people are born in the wrong body, and that giving children puberty blockers is liberating them, the Left is in serious trouble. On gay rights in particular, HRC and others who shout “trans women are women” are subjecting lesbians to harassment when they refuse to have sex with people with penises. That’s classic homophobia in new wrapping paper. Common Dreams, open your eyes on this topic. Members of the Left, open your eyes. Stand up for gays, women, children, science, and free speech.

1 Like

Right. See Seeker’s comment just above.

1 Like

Why should anyone be given the right to decide laws that reshape the lives of every American? Supreme Court membership is inherently political, yet they are entirely unelected and unaccountable to the people and they rule (not ‘serve’) for life. The Court must be abolished. It is an insult to democracy.

2 Likes

You need to meet some trans people, Lucy. Your comment shows only your lack of understanding.

Amy Barrett’s slip is hanging all out –

The closed religious community she lives in obviously continues to use the
language of anti-abortion and anti-gay terms – so … OOPS!

Barrett should be tackled on the issue of freedom of conscience –

People of Praise members are always free to follow their consciences, as formed by the light of reason, experience, and the teachings of their churches."[[29]]

The above is more a religious straight-jacket – not any valid freedom of conscience –

Her religious community – and she lives in a religious community 24/7 – is based in
Catholicism and Evangelicalism – most of the members are Catholics – and note below
it is “part of the Papally approved mainstream, including by Pope Francis.”

People of Praise is "part of the papally-approved mainstream of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, which has been encouraged by every pope since Vatican II, none more strongly than Pope Francis."

No one ever said that religion and religious fanatics – especially when combined with
politics – isn’t dangerous for democracies –

Beyond “Speaking in Tongues” … “Faith Healing” … it’s also Prophecy –
A prophecy is a message that is claimed by a prophet to have been communicated to them by a deity. Such messages typically involve inspiration, interpretation, or revelation of divine will concerning the prophet’s social world and events to come.

The community, like the Catholic Church, excludes women from leadership positions.
Freedom of thought is the freedom of an individual to hold or consider a fact, viewpoint
or thought independent of others’ viewpoints.

Paul Thigpen writes that in general these communities "typically involved a commitment to at least some degree of sharing financial resources, regular participation in community gatherings, and submission to the direction of the group’s designated authorities."

The community teaches that husbands are the head of the household as well as the spiritual head of their wives.

The community, which refers to itself as a “family of families,” sees this patriarchal tradition as following the biblical model of the family. Men and women meet separately each week in small groups called ‘men’s groups’ or ‘women’s groups.’ The purpose is to build deeper relationships as brothers and sisters in Christ by discussing their lives and other issues with the goal of gaining wisdom, deepening friendships, and encouraging one another to be faithful to God.

Basically, Barrett lives in a cult-like religious community 24/7 – sort of like a nunnery, but
more crowded – based in male supremacy –

From Wikipedia –

Reception
Ralph Martin, president of Renewal Ministries, stated in the *[National Catholic Register] that People of Praise is “part of the papally-approved mainstream of the Catholic Charismatic Renewal, which has been encouraged by every pope since Vatican II, none more strongly than Pope Francis.”[[1]]~(~https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_of_Praise#cite_note-Roberts2020-1)

1 Like