Home | About | Donate

'This is a Joke': Snowden and Other Critics Slam New EU-US Data Sharing Deal

'This is a Joke': Snowden and Other Critics Slam New EU-US Data Sharing Deal

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

The European Commission on Tuesday touted a new deal that will continue to allow tech companies such as Google and Facebook to share user data overseas based on a promise from U.S. intelligence officials that EU citizens will not be subject to indiscriminate mass surveillance, in a move that critics said "sells out EU fundamental rights."

"... a promise from U.S. intelligence officials that EU citizens will not be subject to indiscriminate mass surveillance ..."

Now what might such a promise be worth ...

That promise and two dollars will get you on the subway to provide one answer to your query.

"Privacy is dead, and we have killed it." --Nietzsche 2.0

Anyone or any country who believes anything that the US government says is a damned fool.

That's the understatement of the day.

But if they do not believe what the US says and do not want to go along they will be bullied to do so by sanctions, threats or worse.

Yes, this is a joke. Unfortunately, the joke is on us. It's being played on us before April Fool's Day. The only thing you can count on Obama to do is to break his promises.

Mark, I think there is/was a story at Truthdig about the "threat score" program -- that is extremely disturbing. There is so much that has been developed that has, initially, the potential for great good, however, in the same vein, it can and usually will be subverted by the government for extremely nefarious purposes.Over the past several months, I've been "exploring" some of the various "conspiracy" theories and I'm learning the following: 1) Much of what I was taught to believe was history is actually nothing more than propaganda perpetrated by the "elite" and those organizations that follow their direction; and 2) upon doing my own research, some of the "conspiracy" theories have more likelihood of being conspiracy reality. The question then becomes who and what, if anything can we really believe?

To answer your question: Become your own authority; believe in what you see, not what you're told.

The data that corporations produce is protected under copyright laws. Whether if be movies, music, intellectual property etc., one has to pay the corporation for the privilege of using their data. Should not the same protections be afforded to data generated by individual citizens? Corporate data miners are collecting data from us literally 24/7. They know who we are, our location in real time, what we buy and even our most personal information including our sex lives. All this data is sold to the highest bidder for tens of billions of dollars a year.

Have you ever wondered why you never get a bill from Google, Facebook et al? Ever wonder why they don't have an 800 number for tech problems? That's because we're not their customers but instead are their products. The 800 number is for their customers who buy our data from them. Much of the data that the NSA collects about us is bought from these data mining corporations. The gold rush is on but in today's world it's data not gold and it's completely unregulated thus prey to corruption and evil doing.

We need legislation that requires corporations to pay individuals for the data they produce just as citizens have to pay corporations for the data produced. Such legislation would even the playing field, give citizens the choice of sharing their info, and address the problems of income inequality.