Home | About | Donate

'This Is a Scandal': Documents Show ICE and FBI Using Facial Recognition to Mine Millions of Driver's License Photos

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/07/08/scandal-documents-show-ice-and-fbi-using-facial-recognition-mine-millions-drivers

1 Like

This is truly horrifying but not surprising, how long until these DMV databases are actually copied by law enforcement and the FR metrics of everyone who has a driver license is complete in their FR databases, if this hasn’t already started?
Since FBI and ICE seem to have little or no respect for privacy for the citizens they serve, perhaps it’s time for a dose of reality for them. Hackers providing and publishing addresses, phone #, personal info., photos, etc., of law enforcement. Anonymity seems to be important to them, and why so many of them wear their cowardly masks to hide their faces when making arrests.

8 Likes

ICE is being used by Trump to deport a million immigrants out of the U.S, by using the DMV’s data bases? ICE is Trump’s Gestapo and this needs to be stopped NOW!

4 Likes

Anyone who thinks these agencies are going rogue and will not use these practices to crush dissent in the U.S. is living in a fantasy world.

6 Likes

Respect our fine police officers, BULLSHIT!! I’m 72 yrs old and as even a middle class “white” kid I was harassed by the police over bullshit crap. I can only imagine in my fucked up dreams what it is to be a kid of color.

I NEVER trusted the police, NEVER!!!

8 Likes

Everyone here should read Radley Balko’s book, “Rise of the warrior cop”. It’ll definitely change your thinking of the old adage “serve and protect”.

4 Likes

America, the home or the brave, has sold out liberty, freedom and privacy for security

4 Likes

The Constitution is in tatters and America drinks & goes home.

5 Likes

As my driver’s license will need renewing I will be sure to hold up a FUCK YOU Trump sign so that it gets to be part of my photo. If not then a middle finger will do. My paternal, patrilineal grandfather was undocumented but those being targeted by this arch, ignorant bigot have more right to be anywhere on the American continents than this descendent of the worst racists that ever invaded these shores.

2 Likes

This is practice as well for those who have designs on those of us ultimately that will resist the rise of fascism in this country.

Is everyone here familiar with where AI is headed as it pertains to being an incredibly powerful and dangerous tool that could be directed against whole groups of people? How those machine learning algorithms used in facial recognition can also be tasked to “learn” every aspect about whatever is available in the “data sets” it is unleashed to process “in the wild”. How ultimately such parameters having to do with political/dissident alignment could be directed to an AI system to cull the population according to whatever parameters a fascist government might see necessary?

We are in spectacularly dangerous times my friends.

I’m nuts, but not that nuts.

Data sets is what AI feeds on for the “learning” and that that the DMV has now turned opened its doors to this is disturbing…but, expected. Fascism is here and it has been decades in the making, but the end game to bringing Empire home began on that seminal day that hardly anyone questions.

Go figure.

1 Like

Hate to break the news to you kiddies, but Snowden told us all this would happen 10 years ago. Yet, all the democrats did was call him a traitor to the Clintons and a Russkie spy.
And here we are. Living in a fascist police state, with a surveillance apparatus that would make the Stasi jealous. Remember to mind what you write in emails and text messages, as you wouldn’t want to accidentally use one of those marked words or phrase that may land you on the other “list”
And you don’t want to be on that “list”

2 Likes

Sorry folks but when you get any kind of license the state DOES have the right to get your photograph and signature. Objections like this are STUPID. I have a pilots license along with many other licenses, and I am damned if I want frauds and crooks running around with no means to counter them. How about getting on a plane with a person who has no business flying a plane? It is even more bizarre that any person objects to those who STEAL IDs, unless you are crooks yourself. I have had IDs stolen, and I sure as hell want the cops to catch and put those folks in prison where they belong. IT is even worse when some people object to catching illegal aliens who have broken the laws, are wanted for criminal prosecution or are avoiding court ordered deportations. I guess some of you folks must HATE wanted posters too. That is also an invasion of privacy since it makes it harder for crooks to show their faces or even live in peace. They have to live in the shadows, so let’s get rid of cops so the crooks can live free from worry.

Shan, i am an immigrant and i know a lot of other immigrants. None of us are living in fear of being deported.

I assume you mean to say “ICE is being used by Trump to deport a million illegal immigrants out of the U.S”? Which is perfectly legal and normal. All countries deport illegal immigrants. I remember in the early 90s there was trainfulls of illegal immigrants being deported form Western Europe back to their countries in Eastern Europe. There was nothing to it.

Well, it does speed up the reentry process at the airport. You get in line, get to a kiosk, insert your passport, take your baseball cap off, smile, get a piece of paper with your smiling mug on it. Hand it over to the immigration officer and you’re on your way. No more of that, what countries did you visit? what cities did you go to? And all that crap.

Seriously, Big, find someone that used to live in the former GDR to educate you about the Stasi. Then start making comparisons. You don’t wanna sound like a 28 year old ex bartender from the Bronx.

WANTED: George Bushes for killing
WANTED: Cheney and Rumsfeld for killing
WANTED: Obama and H. Clinton for killing
WANTED: Trump for sexual assault
WANTED: Kavanaugh for sexual assault
WANTED: Abrams, Pompeo, Bolton for crimes against humanity
WANTED: Wall Street and Banks for grand theft larceny
WANTED: ICE for child abuse
Etc etc etc.
The lady of justice holding the scales is supposed to be blind, not using facial recognition software!

2 Likes

Sure she is, but someone still has to catch the alleged perps to bring them to justice. That’s where the facial recognition come in.

Another “Mission Accomplished.”

The main point in my post is that you do not need facial recognition software to arrest the biggest and most dangerous criminals in the USA—-they are in plain view. The cannon’s aim is too low and a waste of powder.

“With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
E.L.

I would dare say most of our ancestors fit the bill, and many were asylum seekers.
If the USA really was serious in dealing with immigration issues on our southern border, the answer is blowin’ in the wind: stop the destruction and robbing of their countries of origin.

That is very good news! Mea culpa. Should have said " illegal".

1 Like