Home | About | Donate

'This Is a Trap': Progressives Sound Alarm as GOP Attempts Sneak Attack on Social Security in Coronavirus Stimulus Plan

Contrary to popular belief (read: Republican and other Right-Wing lies; see my comments and that of ellsworth_weedman above, around no. 25-30, and the book mentioned there), Social Security is NOT sinking, nor even leaking.

1 Like

Nope, on Sept. 11, 2001 cell systems for personnel phones did not have the ability to pass off calls from one tower to the next in commercial aircraft, at cruising speeds or altitude. Do some research.

You don’t know what you’re talking about. The very nature of a cell phone system is the ability to pass calls from one tower to another. Doesn’t matter if you’re three feet off the ground or 30,000 feet. Besides you’ve invented the passing off from one tower to another out of whole cloth. At altitude you can lock on to one tower at much greater range.

The plane has nothing to do with it. If you’ve got a signal, you’ve got a signal.

Trump has been a one night stand on just about every issue he campaigned on. Some he just outright lies about.
A charlatan. A political enigma, as we never know how he will construe the next statement he utters.

1 Like

More like a one minute stand.

A one second stand would be the same as a lie. “Lie” is easier I guess.

1 Like

Oh, I don’t know what I’m talking about, yet you did no research on the subject.
We can agree on one thing with this subject, to respectfully disagree.

Didn’t need to research it. Worked in a related sector professionally. Very familiar with the technology.

Ironically, today’s technology would make it more difficult to get a signal at higher altitudes. 2001 era phones had a stronger signal on the phone itself.

1 Like

It’s not about the strength of phone signal, it was about the ability to pass the calls off from one tower to another at the speeds jets travel. This is my last post on this subject.

That’s a much more difficult question to prove either way. You need to know the ground speed/direction vector of the aircraft, the altitude of the aircraft, it’s location, the location of all cell towers within range of the aircraft/cellphones, the apparent ground speed of the aircraft relative to each cell tower and which cell towers would be queued up for a signal handoff.

When the aircraft is not traveling directly toward or away from a cell tower it’s relative speed decreases (down to zero when the line from the aircraft to the cell tower is perpendicular to the ground path).

At any given time, it’s unlikely the aircraft’s apparent speed from the point of view of any given cell tower is going to be anything near it’s overall ground speed.

In addition, the greater the altitude, the less the relative speed.

You can’t just take the aircraft speed and assume that is the apparent speed from any given cell tower. Indeed, that would be quite rare.