Home | About | Donate

This Is an Emergency: Americans Need Relief, and Trump Is Standing in the Way

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/views/2020/10/08/emergency-americans-need-relief-and-trump-standing-way

Once again a story on this subject, with no mention of the largest impediment of this needed legislation, McConnell. Even if you get Trump onboard, the bill still has to hit the Senate floor for a vote. McConnell who has no fear of losing his seat on Nov. 3rd (thanks to the dnc’s backing of a Trump supporter instead of a progressive), won’t let that happen. Ignoring this fact won’t make it go away.

2 Likes

Hi ReconFire:
sigh------when I lived in L.A. there were tents and homeless everywhere. I thought it was just L.A. County. BUT— I have now seen tents and homeless people in the capitol of Oregon—in Salem—and I have read about the homeless in Britain too. With fires in Oregon and in CA, thousands of people are homeless —jobless-----and feeling totally HOPELESS.
WHO reports that Europe has the highest number of cases now, 338,779—
it seems that Germany was taking care of its workers----but America—where is your humanity? Surely, SENATE, there must be people who understand that people all across the nation need help.
sigh------ Apparently BRIBERY has repacked LIBERTY in the Senate. : (

1 Like

Hey stardustIBID, agree, things do not look good anywhere in the world right now, and authoritarian leaders seem to be using this worldwide pandemic to further their expansion of power, and in-rich the 1% even more. Never in my lifetime have I ever wondered or worried about the future of this country, or if it will remain a country at all. More than 40 years ago I had a government teacher predict what we are seeing today, I thought she had a screw loose, turns out she was a prophet.

About 40% of Americans live with hardship or in poverty, says the ALICE study from United Way charity. The Supplemental Poverty Measure for 2019 shows that 38.6% live with incomes below twice (200%) the official poverty level. It comes to maybe 127 million. The U.S. Census weekly Pulse surveys have ended, but they showed even greater hardship than the study mentioned in the article from Harvard, NPR and Johnson Fdtn. The Harvard et al study reported that 31% had spent down all savings and 10% had no savings. It showed also that around 20% of households “Nationwide” reported difficulties in paying bills. The Pulse surveys were worse by far. They received too little attention. The Common Dreams article on Fed Chairman Powell said that even in August after about half the job loss had been recovered “In August, employment of those in the bottom quartile of the wage distribution was still 21% below its February level, while it was only 4% lower for other workers.” Those families are hit pretty hard. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in a 2017 report Financial Well Being in America, also did an assessment of family finances, and about 40% experienced material hardship and had a hard time paying bills. Small businesses, restaurants, buses, trains, airlines, and poor – paying a big price for a disease that other controlled better than the U.S.