Home | About | Donate

'This Is Eco-Apartheid': Post-Dorian Refugees Fleeing Bahamas Ordered Off Ferry Bound for US

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/09/eco-apartheid-post-dorian-refugees-fleeing-bahamas-ordered-ferry-bound-us

1 Like

Visa??? You mean that the Bahamas, which shares a common language and border (only 50 miles of water) from the US, just like Canada isn’t visa-free? Oh, that right, they are not nice and white like Canadians (the stereotypical image of a Canadian anyway).

15 Likes

Detail missing. 130 deboarded. How many stayed? How many had visas? Why would they have visas if it isn’t required? How could you get a visa when you don’t need one? Perhaps the ship was taking non-Bahamians back? Tourists only?
CNN explains. Bahamians flying into the US don’t require a visa. The flight requirement is true for many countries. I have experienced this as a white US person traveling in Asia. The US is accepting blacks–blacks rich enough to fly.

6 Likes

The Fourth Reich in action.

5 Likes

There is absolutely “nothing” today about the plight of survivors from dorian on the “independent”, the “guardian” the “bbc” or “skynews”. What a disgrace. It’s like dorian never happened.

9 Likes

Those in power here are so blinded by the whiteness of their being, that they cannot feel anything but hate for the darkness of their souls.

9 Likes

The ongoing, constantly accelerating Climate Catastrophe forces upon us, ready or not, the question of whether national boundaries are inherently murderous. I didn’t choose this world.

Not so much spaceship as Liferaft Earth, now. Who’s allowed on the liferaft?

6 Likes

France24 is my preferred news source these days. Excellent reporting. And no, they have not forgotten about Dorian. This article is on their website today. God bless the French!

4 Likes

This is hard to believe, even for this racist administration. It is “Ship of Fools” multiplied by a thousand.

5 Likes

Brian Entin tweet sez:
“They were told before boarding it was ok with Bahamian passport and clean polce record. Something has now changed.”

I’m guessing the ‘change’ was Stephen Miller clocking in to start his shift.

8 Likes

The life raft coming here, or the one leaving?

Different day, same shit.

1 Like

The only thing to cling to, bruh. The only “there, where” left. That’s Liferaft Earth.

Meteorological pioneer Harry Wexler (the first dude to fly into a hurricane on purpose!) said “The atmosphere is indivisible.” That simple insight is how practical meteorology (predicting the weather 4 days out – which improved steadily for decades) came to be: you can only understand what part of the atmosphere is going to do if you can map out the whole atmosphere: all the strata, everywhere on Earth. The GFS math behind Nullschool (unaffiliated with Aleph) is orders of magnitude beyond, say, figuring out how to land a rocket on Mars.

The GFS and EURO models are unappreciated foundation stones of modern reality, precariously depending on a unique international cooperation model, where all the information is supposed to be freely available (because if it isn’t, the whole system crashes). Observations from everywhere are continually fed into these planetary models, like data fuel to keep them running.

Now even that, something as basic as a 2-day weather prediction on your smartphone, is threatened by the tightening grip of predators, who thwart fellow humans even in self-destructive ways.

3 Likes

Thank god you were not born Puerto Rican and depending on Trump. In the meanwhile, maybe your queen (Liz ll) will get round toit. But considering she’s up to her ass in British alligators maybe not.

2 Likes

This was a Donald “Cruelty Is The Point” Trump Anti-LEGAL Immigrants action–no doubt brought to you by his Ambassador of Racism, Steven Miller

3 Likes

Not much use for a liferaft if you live in water world with no coast to travel to. Sure the rich might try to ride out the coming apocalypse with bunkers or plans to travel to Mars and all that but there is no other livable planet out there or any intelligent species that will save us from this sinking ship. We aren’t up shit creek without a paddle. We are in the middle of a shit ocean with nowhere to travel to.

3 Likes

Expect more actions like this as climate change renders parts of the planet uninhabitable. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the near future we hear of our ‘glorious’ military mobilized against the increasing number of climate refugees, who of course will be labeled as ‘terrorists’ or other dehumanizing excuses.

3 Likes

Why is anyone shocked? There is a war against women, people of color, people with disabilities, the poor, people that don’t speak american, people of other faiths, people that wear different styles of cloths and on and on the list is almost endless. Why is anyone shocked? It just might be that they have compassion for others. Are you one of them? Scream, Enough Is Enough. This is NOT who we are. Dammit!

4 Likes

Same result; different heading:

2 Likes

I just called my Senator from AZ…don’t know if it helps, maybe. Sinema is all I’ve got at this point.