Home | About | Donate

'This Is Fascism': Trump Riles Up Minnesota Supporters With Racist Attack on Somali Refugees

Astonishing, really, but on the other hand…Mitch is also helping with this arson.

2 Likes

The tragedy is not Trump as much as it is that crowd which reflects the numbers of people that feel this way. Outright racism is not fringe as it once appeared to be, For years the people on the right (See Carlson Tucker) have proclaimed racism dead and it no longer an issue. This is not the case. It remains and is as dangerous as ever.

I am reminded of the breakup of Yugoslavia and the orgy of violence that followed. While much of the Western media laid all the conflict on the Serbs this was not the case. Croats started killing Serbs, Christians the Muslims and vice versa , Serbs the Croats and Albanians… What was most alarming is many of these people were neighbors and lived side by side for decades under Tito. They attended each others Weddings and funerals . Farmers of different ethnicity helped each other bring in the harvest. If you would read the accounts of some of the survivors many expressed shock at what occurred| “WE knew him for years yet he came around and butchered my family” was a very common statement.

The Rwandan genocide was much the same. Peoples united in hatred against another group simply because of ethnic origins all forgetting that they might have been friends and neighbours for entire lifetimes.

Hatred has been embraced and guys like Trump fuel and nurture it. These people are filled with it.

What fuels that hatred? It a desire for MORE things. These people all feel that they would be richer and better off were it not for those plug in group here. In Croatia the Croats wanted the farms and lands the Serbs lived on. In Serbia the Serbs wanted the stuff the Muslims had. In Rwanda the Hutus were told they were poor because the Tutsi had too much land and so on. They were told for years that their failings from the aspect of wealth was not because the 1 percent was taking it all , it was because their poor neighbours were taking it all.,

The 1 percent loves guys like Trump. He helps ensure that the hatred never directed towards them.

11 Likes

Our grandparent’s, and our parent’s, generations participated in two world wars - fighting fascists - And now most of the current executive branch, and the senate, are fascists - Openly supporting and encouraging a radical bigoted fascism, by ‘our’ president. Let that sink in - “By ‘our’ president”. There are no “fine people” who are fascists. Fascists are the enemy of the United States, and have for over two generations, they are not patriots, they are hate-filled violent bigots. They are anti-constitutional-democracy corporatists authoritarians. To quote Hitler… "The national government will maintain and defend the foundations on which the power of our nation rests. It will offer strong protection to Christianity as the very basis of our collective morality. Today Christians stand at the head of our country. We want to fill our culture again with the Christian spirit. We want to burn out all the recent immoral developments in literature, in the theatre, and in the press — in short, we want to burn out the poison of immorality which has entered into our whole life and culture as a result of LIBERAL excess during the past years.”

— Adolph Hitler - Taken from The Speeches of Adolph Hitler, 1922-1939, Vol. 1, Michael Hakeem, Ph.D. (London, Oxford University Press, 1942), pp. 871-872.

We deserve what we continue to “allow”. e.g. “allowing” FOX to continue its lethal propaganda, allowing Trump to remain in office, when he has openly proven, over and over again, that he is a white-supremacist bigot, an extreme malignant narcissist, and not to mention a truly stupid bully, “allowing” his family to continue to openly steal ‘our’ tax-reserves for personal profit, “allowing” a level of nepotism never seen before in our entire 244 year national history, “allowing” the unprecedented continued stacking of the federal bench with over 200 unqualified, radical-right, ideological, corporatist ‘judges’, “allowing” the current shoving a third SCOTUS judge down our collective throats with only a few weeks before the most important federal election in our nation’s history, during a purposefully politically manipulated pandemic which is currently the third (3rd!) leading cause of deaths in America, and projected to be the 2nd soon, “allowing”, “allowing”, “allowing”, “allowing”…

The “allowing” must no longer be “allowed”. FOX News must not be “allowed” to continue as an openly fascist propaganda megaphone. The Constitutional Democracy of the United States of America must be saved, no matter the cost… Revolt? Revolution? Civil war? What ever it takes to save us - It must be “allowed” to happen. Otherwise we will all deserve what happens, but not the rest of the planet.

4 Likes

" the place for people of Duluth to gather is in front of the White House not the airport. "
AND in front Biden’s house and Obama’s mansion. The refugee flow was not created by Trump (although he does seem to want them to suffer more than they have already) but by most/all of the POTUSs before him.

2 Likes

Not to defend Trump but he hasn’t created the Fascism - we’ve been leaning more and more towards it since the neoliberal takeover. He merely applied the awful last ingredients that have made it more apparent. Biden will put a mask on those appearances and restore us back on the path to a kinder - gentler Fascism.

4 Likes

My father too, was in the Korean War. He told me about Korean children in the bitter cold wearing only a burlap bag with holes cut in it for their head and arms, no shoes, no hat or mittens. War is hell. Time we stop venerating our participation in death and misery. We only need the military to defend against invasion of our American homeland (stolen as it is). Time we stop our regime change and natural resource stealing wars. Time to stop creating refugees.

7 Likes

I think any analysis of elections in the US has to account for who doesn’t vote, and why they don’t vote. Cause, that radically changes the analysis. The people that vote, given how many people don’t vote, cannot represent what the US is. Since the pool of people that vote is usually the same rough group of people, it is a reflection of the percentage of the country that votes, feels represented in this system. Those people usually vote for trash, in both parties. I mean, when I watched that utter train wreck of a debate, the first thing I thought was that Trump needed to lose. The second thing that came to mind was how horrible Biden was. He is a bad candidate, and would almost certainly be toast if he was running against a relatively normal Republican. I think that is the case with empty people like mayor Pete or Harris. This dying neoliberalism stays alive entirely at least for another election because of corruption in that party, the media, and because of Trump. But, I fully expect many people who saw that debate to decide to just not vote. It was jarring how bad both the options are. I think more people will be inspired to vote against Trump than to vote for him, but I also think that many people will decide to just not vote, because the two major parties in this country are really bad and picked horrible candidates.

I also thought about the need for there to be a League of Women voters like group to manage the debates, and think that we must stop a two-party monopoly on these debates. There is no logical reason, when there are so many parties in the US, that these two private entities get to control this system as they do. It is no more legitimate than one-party states.

Oh, and we should be in the stretch run of Bernie’s second term. Clinton was a horrible candidate, so is Biden, and I think the debate would have be rotten regardless, but I think Sanders would have done much better than Biden. I loathe Democratic Party primaries voters and their sham primary process. The very policies Biden has long supported has created the context where fascism can grow. Is happening in other countries to because of the same exact failed policies.

8 Likes

…Your mind circles the drain because you see your circular firing squad as some kind of justifiable ploy, to do what? Phk your bullsh*t…

…Yes, we’ve only had “corporate resource wars” in the last 70 years. Nobody was invading and/or occupying OUR nation…

1 Like

I dunno about that. The fact that so many grassroots Democrats have simply stopped voting for “the party” tells me we haven’t been ignoring it at all.

1 Like

Don’t forget the ‘epitome of rot’ -------the Clinton’s home in Chappaqua, NY. You can tour this ‘little white house’ on Homes Beautiful. Built with blood money.

2 Likes

The Climate Catastrophe does this, not future-tense: some decade, but present-tense: as we speak. Human survival depends on our ability to put aside antiquated constructions such as national borders. This isn’t woo-woo one-worldism, this is physical reality now. Also warfare – human survival is a doubtful enough prospect if we do everything perfectly and catch all the breaks, no way can we afford warfare anymore. That also means “the world’s sole superpower,” in force only because of warfare, evaporates before our eyes.

That’s assuming it’s possible to survive. Humans could find millions of ways to destroy ourselves, now.

1 Like

Exactly. Doesn’t matter how many dems are fighting the good fight, Pelosi, Schumer, Biden, Harris, the Clintons, Obamas, and hundreds of other corporate stooges in line to take their place, they are the ones who control what the dem party does. Look at Medicare For All. 90% of the good fighting democrats want it and Biden vows to veto it if it comes to him. Biden says that he needn’t worry though because it will never come to him because he knows the twats in his party and the repubs will never send M4A to him, because they are owned by the donors. I’m tired of the blue check dems exhorting us to vote for Biden. If he needs our frigging votes that bad, why does he not budge on the most important, life saving initiatives we want? Because he is a fucking republican and so is the entire dem leadership posing as a resistance while Pelosi funds all of Trump’s wants. They make me sick.

12 Likes

Part of the problem is that the electorate has become much less a voter then it has become a “fan club”. They really could not care less about the issues and the policy just as long as their guy wins.

They might as well wear little mouse ears and sing "T-r-u-M and P " (B-i-d-e and N) ,S-h-t onme.

4 Likes

Agree entirely. During the Democratic Party primaries, look how much support racist police lapdog Pete got, and he literally said nothing of substance the whole time. People that supported Biden, many of them said that they didn’t even like his policies, they were convinced by rich people on TV that Biden was the best candidate. Objectively, he is just horrible. In the debate, yeah, it was difficult and Trump was a dumb bully, but Biden looked frail, said things that were incoherent, and even when he made okay points it was delivered in a way that didn’t inspire tons of confidence. And he has a bad record, is openly corrupt and is ideologically opposed to the very policies we need. The debate, a good chunk of it, was both of them punching the left. Biden went out of his way to trash the GND, single payer and Bernie. He might as well have said, “Hey, all those great policies that would help people, I am not going to do any of it!”, and he says that as a means of getting people to support him. Is he talking to the huge percentage of the public that doesn’t vote? No, he is talking about the PMC types, the suburbanites, who feel represented in this system. As far as both of them are concerned, most everyone else can scramble for the crumbs they wipe off the table.

A good chunk of Democratic primary voters are economically well off enough that they don’t have to concern themselves with policy and they focus on superficial nonsense, and a decent chunk also is outright opposed to basic social democracy, which is what Bernie offers. We all talk about how the Republicans have drifted to the right into insane land, which they have. But the Democrats have drifted in the same direction, and look at the shape of the country.

8 Likes

Unfortunately,…too many readers seem to associate “21st century,” with the far away future, instead of “Today.”

I, by the way, hate Trump to my core and all his idiot, racist followers. I don’t think this emerging fascism has grown in the US as much as it is increasingly out in the open. The right have long supported brutality here and abroad, and have long hated democracy. But, they had to use codewords, had to hide their intentions. They don’t feel that they have to any longer, and the only way Trump can win is to appeal to people’s general anxiety (which HE has caused in many ways) and to undermine the vote. We need to have a conversation not just on him though, but the role of the neoliberals in leading us to this point. Look at long term macroeconomic and microeconomic trends, the shape of our democracy, infrastructure, etc. Someone like Trump doesn’t win an election in a healthy democracy and in a society doing well.

9 Likes

Many independents who once voted democratic, will never do so again.

Giovanna-Lepore, that’s close — but close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.

This is what I just commented to Frank Bruni’s column on the "Times’:

Frank, “Emperor Trump is Not a Second Fuhrer”

Faux-Emperor Trump is not the cause of our democracy being strangled or “drown in a bathtub”, rather, ‘Donald’ is just a symptom of the actual cancer in the ‘body politic’ of our formerly “promising”, and sometimes progressive, country.

This sophisticated, subtle, but silent Disguised Global Crony Capitalist Empire, only nominally HQed in, merely ‘posing as’ our former democratic Republic, has learned from errors of preceding Empires throughout history and recognized, analyzed, and corrected — in terms of past totalitarian Emperors going “off leash”, or being ‘excised’.

The problem is neither in our stars nor ourselves, but in a nearly perfectly camouflaged Empire the scope of which is truly globalized, capitalist-fueled, and very carefully designed from 1944 on with “Accumulation by dispossession” cubed by Facebook AI.

“The U.S. state is a key point of condensation for pressures from dominant groups around the world to resolve problems of global capitalism and to secure the legitimacy of the system overall. In this regard, “U.S.” imperialism refers to the use BY transnational elites of the U.S. state apparatus (hard & soft powers) to continue to attempt to expand, defend, and stabilize the global capitalist system. We are witness less to a “U.S.” imperialism per se than to a global capitalist imperialism. We face an EMPIRE OF GLOBAL CAPITAL, headquartered, for evident historical reasons, in Washington.” William Robinson

5 Likes

You remind us of the fact that Bin Laden won as he became a martyr and we won a new HHS, Patriot Act, and lots of extra spying on the citizenry.
I wish it were true that either war was over.