Home | About | Donate

'This Is How Scared They Are of Democracy': Iowa Republicans Move to Curb Mail-In Voting for November

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/11/how-scared-they-are-democracy-iowa-republicans-move-curb-mail-voting-november

2 Likes

Trump, Moscow Mitch, and Joni Ernst have already assured the Iowa GOP cell that if they don’t succeed in Iowa, Trump and Moscow will make sure there is no Postal Service in October nationwide.

2 Likes

Where is James T. Kirk when you need him? He would put those vile Iowans in their place. Time for a little time travel and a few photon torpedoes to the State Legislature.

2 Likes

This is what happens when there is no constitutional right to vote. Read the Constitution. It’s not there. Some democracy!

4 Likes

and where pray tell are the outraged voices of the so-called democratic party as all this voter suppression is going on? why is it not being brought up in the halls of congress and being called out for what it is??? I am about to write to my representatives now and ask them just that!

ugly all around.

3 Likes

The message is clear: If you want to vote out Trump prepare to fall ill and possibly die if you can wait 11 hours on a line somewhere and if you can find a polling station, and if you can come up with all those extra requirements-impediments such as the “right kind” of ID. And from a “president” who votes by paper ballot himself no less.

2 Likes

3.1 million Iowans. 2.0-2.1 million eligible voters ( conservative guess )? OK, let’s say of that, 1/3rd ( 700,000 voters) are N/As ( Independent or Non-Affiliated Voters ). Is it a closed primary system? Must be, right? Let’s hope so { snark }.
530,000 total votes cast is about 26-27% of eligible voters in an open primary, about 36-37% of voters in a closed primary, right? Just back of the napkin #s, here.
Wow! Sec. of State Pate better pay the postage on the next batch of absentee ballots he mails out. Besides, this whole exercise was paid for by a provision in the CARES Act, to begin with ( free ). No money out of the state’s coffers, then?
What a lousy turnout, Iowa. In the midst of a pandemic, a deeply depressed national economy, a time of civil unrest and protests and a farm state economy dealing with Trump’s tariffs, et al.
What does it take to get Iowans to vote, anyway?
This looks bad.
The 2020 Federal Elections are " the most important of our lifetime ". Well, apparently not so much in the former heartland. Again, Wow!

2 Likes

I’ve heard that some voters are bringing folding chairs with them. If I don’t vote by mail I might bring mom’s wheel chair. I can switch back and forth with my wife so we don’t collapse like summer soldiers standing in a retirement parade.

2 Likes

Save a few for our Wisconsin legislature please.

2 Likes

Another exercise in promoting good government, thanks to the Iowa GOP. Without popular support, they turn to rigging the election in this manner.
It was good seeing Dubuque’s state senator, Pam Jochum, (D) speak out against the Repub effort to curb voting.
Commenters on these pages who declare the equivalency of R and D have no idea how ethically and morally bankrupt is the Iowa GOP.

3 Likes

Republicans being irrational again. Fearing something that doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Trump has been dolling out cash to the farmers big time------can we be done with this racist evil state-----it’s just filled with a bunch of old white racists ----this should not be the first state to vote in the presidential election.

1 Like

Yet, farm bankruptcies in the Midwest are way up, int’l markets are being lost and compromised:
this Agricultural Model isn’t working. And, it’s devastated a rural agrarian lifestyle many found to be an attractive alternative to city living.
Plus, growing your own food; well, it becomes more than sustenance at some point. Now, not so much. It’s a 1%ers leisure activity with gov’t subsidies holding it all together; shameful and bogus, pretty much. They’re lords, not farmers.
" The falcon cannot hear the falconer; things fall apart, the centre cannot hold, Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world …"
Yeats

3 Likes

Terrific presentation of facts and keen analysis and commentary on the voting data from our June primary, Ann.

You could write a book on the improprieties and crooked dealings of the Iowa GOP. My brother, Art, did, in his book, Storm Lake. I’ll bet you’re familiar with it.

There has been nice June weather in this neck of the woods, and the song birds are here in force. It’s a lovely environment.

2 Likes

While it is embarrassing to be redressed in this public forum, it is in notable respects warranted. Look at the openly racist Congressman Steve King, who Governor Reynolds requested serve as her co-chair in her 2018 campaign. There are indeed very many “old white racists” in our state.

As for the state caucus, many of us are ready to abdicate this responsibility. Too many Iowans are indifferent, as turnout showed. Our precinct caucus was much smaller than I anticipated. Perhaps we’re blasé about the whole circus. TV stations benefit the most, in millions of dollars in revenues from commercials. I believe we’re ready to pass the torch. Thanks.

2 Likes

Sounds like a beautiful land scape. Birding along the river, any river worth its’ salt, is a good day. Almost better than fishing, Ocean fishing got me hooked in the early '80s, though sort- of- freshwater fish are very tasty, I’ll give you that.
The Mississippi’s eagles have beome quite the world attraction.They’ve been through a lot, of chemical and political reactions, since Rachel Carson walked the land. Tough old birds, pretty good at fishing, too. Both of them.
We have the Columbia and all its feeders, here. Lots of opportunities to bird watch and bird listen. The osprey fish remarkably well, fun to watch, though I’m not sure if they work and play nicely with others. And, you can see them all just driving or biking on this city’s residential streets. Very nice.
The red-tailed hawks, guardians of the highways, are plentiful here. Ours aren’t using attached cameras yet, as far as I know. Though more austerity is on the new normal short list, so one can’t assume they soon won’t be tasked with that in the future, either. Who said birds don’t toil?
Calvin Trillin, I know, said Iowa and Oregon were his two favorite states. Another character who grew up along that mighty river in your backyard. Probably said that in the Pre-Clinton era, when the Hawkeyes still played in the Rose Bowl. And, graduating from an Ivy League school didn’t require selling the farm back to the bank. Or, should we say, a New York based REIT.
I’ll bet Mr. Trillin is a bird watcher. Well, this fall he can gaze upon a couple of very rare and old ones. Sitting on their perches, parroting some consultant’s ideas from a tele-prompter. Birds of a feather?
This year really has been one for the birds, Bill in Dubuque. Think I’ll go birdwatching this fall, looking for eagles instead of listening to parrrots…
How about you?

2 Likes

Thank You, Ann, for the very nice note!

Columbia River, of the Pacific Northwest. I just read about it. Some beautiful images can be viewed.

The Decorah Eagles, north of here, are quite an attraction. The 3 eaglets are grown enough that they are about to leave the nest, and move to branches. I noticed that eagle cam viewer numbers are down. Two weeks ago most days would have 3500 viewers and now that number is less than half. Life goes on.

In our neighborhood, so many songbirds: cardinals, robins, doves, chickadees, finches, wrens, catbirds and blackbirds. There’s a 5am chorus out there each morning. They’re a delight.

Btw, your CD views are also appreciated! Keen views on a variety of political and cultural subjects. I don’t know how some of you writers do it. I’m lucky to turn in 3 brief comments per week. I couldn’t survive on my writing.

2 Likes