Home | About | Donate

'This Is My Act of Love': Climate Activists Shut Down All Pipelines on US-Canada Border

'This Is My Act of Love': Climate Activists Shut Down All Pipelines on US-Canada Border

Lauren McCauley, staff writer

Five activists shut down all the tar sands pipelines crossing the Canada-U.S. border Tuesday morning, in a bold, coordinated show of climate resistance amid the ongoing fight against the Dakota Access pipeline.

The Monkey Wrench Gang is a novel written by American author Edward Abbey (1927–1989), published in 1975. Easily Abbey's most famous fiction work, the novel concerns the use of sabotage to protest environmentally damaging activities in the Southwestern United States, and was so influential that the term "monkeywrench" has come to mean, besides sabotage and damage to machines, any sabotage, activism, law-making, or law-breaking to preserve wilderness, wild spaces and ecosystems.

And:

There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart that you can't take part! You can't even passively take part! And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus -- and you've got to make it stop! And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it -- that unless you're free the machine will be prevented from working at all!!
-- Mario Savio Dec 2, 1964

" This is my act of love."

Unless we all begin to love our common Mother, like the Sioux at Standing Rock, nothing will change. Accolades to these 5 lovers of Mother Earth.

And rumors abound for the past 30 years about a movie. First Redford was going to do it, and then . . . . Now, the directors of Paranormal are supposedly doing it. We'll see. Jack Black as Hayduke? Why not?

"If the injustice is part of the necessary friction of the machine of government, let it go, let it go; perchance it will wear smooth - certainly the machine will wear out. If the injustice has a spring, or a pulley, or a rope, or a crank, exclusively for itself, then perhaps you may consider whether the remedy will not be worse than the evil; but if it is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law. Let your life be a counter friction to stop the machine."
---Henry David Thoreau, "Civil Disobedience"

a helpful guide:
https://theanarchistlibrary.org/library/various-authors-ecodefense-a-field-guide-to-monkeywrenching

Awesome! Keep fighting!

Having participated in many protests from standing with Mario Savio at Sproul Hall in 1964 to the battle of Seattle in 1999 after which health issues prevented me from continuing, my heart is with these protesters who are genuinely OUR REVOLUTION.

They are proof that Hayduke Lives !

Thank you to all that helped in this effort. In the end all that is left is love. No greater work than saving our planet and the life that lives on it.

So proud to see that my generation is not soul-dead yet! I thank the five for their courage and sacrifice. They have lifted my DAPL-broken heart.

This is an excellent example of Tim DeChristophers call (in absence of a suitably punitive carbon tax), for all concerned citizens to "be the carbon tax".

Thank you so much! This is absolutely the right action and it's good to see my generation doing it. Come on, you youngsters, what are you waiting for?

Tom Russell - Ballad of Edward Abbey

Giddyup! Nice work!

My job is to save the fucking wilderness. I don't know anything else worth saving.
-George W. Hayduke

No compromise in defense of Mother Earth!

I had no idea it was so easy to shut down a pipeline. All that is needed is a big pair of cutters to remove the chain.....after that just turn the wheel closed like a garden hose faucet. The wheel may be hard to turn, so maybe take along some bicycle chain grease in your pocket. Maybe it takes two people to turn the wheel, or a big guy. I don't know. Just speculating on that. Watch for the brave and mighty Obama Justice Dept. to throw the book at these activists, since they are American patriots. They will probably get the cell next to Chelsea Manning. Annette Klapstein, Ken Ward, and Leonard Higgins are American heroes. I hadn't heard of Climate Disobedience Action Fund before -- will look up.

You speak the truth. For two centuries the indigenes have said to whites that they (whites) do not listen. It is good to see that many of their descendants are doing even more than listening.: they are taking direct action.

As Che' pointed out, a true revolutionary is always motivated by love. It is truly heartening that people are rising up: Black Lives Matter, no pipelines warriors, prisoners in the USA--in the belly of its capitalist beast. Hats off to them all.Total non cooperation as all the different activists come together for the one fight, the one enemy.

This is offensive and inappropriate nonsense. The only action the DoJ has taken on the pipeline issue has been on the side of stopping DAPL. And Chelsea Manning's under military justice and in military prison. If it weren't for the good things with which you bracketed this crap, I would have flagged your whole comment. Please edit to take out the idiocy.

Take a look at the comment policy. You can't flag people for posting opinions or statements of fact with which you disagree. Furthermore, environmental and animal rights activists are regularly prosecuted for acts of civil disobedience and sabotage. In the latter case, they can face terrorism charges. You can't blame the army for that.

You aren't going to solve the climate crisis this way but it does bring attention to the cause. The main focus needs to be on increasing green energy and greatly improving energy efficiency. We have the technology for most of it. Further advances in batteries would be very helpful and probably implementation of the smart grid if issues concerning privacy can be addressed. The main obstacle remains the Republican Party which controls both houses of Congress, has about 30 governors, and controls many state legislatures. Unless the large majority of the members of this party acknowledge that based on mountains of scientific evidence there is an extremely seroius problem soon I don't see any real hope.

Yeah of course blah blah save the world by voting Democrat just yesterday and the day before that and the day before that and the day before that and the day before that and the day before that

You must be able see that on climate change there is a tremendous difference between the Democrats and Republicans. That would seem to be politics 101. I think even Ralph Nader would say there is a very big difference. How do you imagine this problem can be solved if the party that controls both houses of Congress and most of the states politically refuses to say there is even a problem, or that the problem is caused by human activities. The first step in solving any problem is to identify the problem. For the Republicans they aren't there yet and the window to stay under 2C may already have been closed. .