Home | About | Donate

'This Is Not A Drill': Amid GOP Attack, Pro-Choice #StopTheBans Rallies Take Place Nationwide

'This Is Not A Drill': Amid GOP Attack, Pro-Choice #StopTheBans Rallies Take Place Nationwide

Julia Conley, staff writer

A week after the Alabama legislature sparked outrage that spread across the country with its approval of a near-total ban on abortion care in the state, reproductive rights advocates across the country are holding "Stop the Bans" rallies on Tuesday to demand that state Republican lawmakers end their attacks on abortion rights.

The crux of the problem is the Democrat’s abject failure to take state legislative races seriously. During the Obama administration over 900 state legislative seats were lost to Republicans. Then in 2016 the state Democratic parties were used by Hillary and the DNC to funnel money up to her campaign, further exacerbating the problem.

The abortion issue is minor compared with the Republican’s threat to hold a Constitutional Convention as soon as they get enough state legislatures to sign on.

Think about it - these same people rewriting our Constitution.

3 Likes

The opposition needs to highlight that abortion bans ban abortion only for those without the means to travel for a safe abortion. Politicians and their corporate owners always have safe abortion access for their wives, daughters and side action.

4 Likes

The same intolerant cretins babble on about “freedom” while denying it to others such as blacks and women–note the racist states advancing this. A recent article by Chris Hedges pointed out the fact that white birth rates in the US are particularly down. Oh, can’t have that. No way. They need foot soldiers for their damnable wars and to supplant the eroding of the safety net such as social security. And the same cretins don’t mind murdering women and even pregnant ones and children in foreign wars of choice against non whites. Why is it that their crocodile tears suddenly stop after a poor woman gives birth when she struggles to support them?

4 Likes

We eventually have to create a venue for foreign travel for abortions. I have no idea where, or what laws Canada, Mexico, or Cuba have. Might have to go further. We will have to set up "go fund me " type support as well.
Moreover, put equal pressure on the anti choice movement, that they have created to interfere with women’s health.

1 Like

That’s one option. Another is relearning and disseminating the means of terminating pregnancies safely and effectively at home. Where are the Wise Women of this latter-day patriarchal dystopia?

I’m kind of basking in the resolve of female solidarity as we define our relationship to issues in our lives that matter. For many women there is no plan b.

1 Like

A frequent comment on this and other political websites is that there is no difference between our two major parties. That they are really one and the same.

In that both are so tightly controlled by the moneyed interests, I get where they are coming from.

But one difference that has emerged over the last few decades relates to how the two parties view democratic decision-making processes. Repubs work feverishly to LIMIT who can make decisions, while Dems (at least anyone who represents the meaning of the word from which their party name is taken) work to EXPAND who can be involved in making decisions.

The abortion issue exemplifies this divide: repubs want decisions about abortion to be made by a handful of generally white men, while 70-80% of the people want the Roe v. Wade decision to stand and for women to have the right of control of their own bodies.

What exactly does Unite mean? I hope it means self defense with any action needed, against people who intend to kill you. When do we have to stop being so afraid and so nice?

The reality is we don’t know whether the dems lost these races, or they were stolen. That’s the problem with using easily hackable machines to count you’re votes. Until these machines are “shit-canned”, the repugs will maintain control over US politics, and we will slide further into 3rd world status. They have a lock on the system, and they know how they got there. These machines are but one of the ways they conduct their “rat-f__king” of elections (their word, not mine), but they are a major advantage.
Now a normal person would question why the dem party never brings this problem out into the open and discusses it, since they are getting their a$$es handed to them nearly every election because of these machines. The answer, because the dems use the machines to their advantage during the primaries, to eliminate potential progressives challengers.

1 Like

I agree with all your points - including the Dems using the machines to their own advantage, therefore won’t raise the hackable machines issue.

The other monstrous problem is Kris Kobach’s “cross-check” sytem for purging minority voters. Greg Palast has been all over this. If I recall correctly Palast said far more voters than Trump’s win in Michigan were purged from the Detroit area in the 2016 election.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Awesome. I wasn’t aware. Isn’t that what organizations like Planned Parenthood were already doing? I would rather see some of our politicians taken out than doctors and surgeons.

1 Like