Home | About | Donate

'This Is Not What Democracy Looks Like': Outrage as London Police Use Battering Ram to Raid Extinction Rebellion Building

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/10/06/not-what-democracy-looks-outrage-london-police-use-battering-ram-raid-extinction

The police have “BP” patches on their uniforms…or should have.

2 Likes

Does anyone know what ‘democracy’ looks like? Since the ancient Greeks, we have called rule by the few democracy and convinced ourselves it existed. Occasionally, we might get a chance to vote for their chosen ones.

5 Likes

Boris Johnson, Trump’s British twin, and his facist backers run the show in the UK and attack anyone with progressive ideas. They even tacitly supported one of his backers assasinating a house of commons member. The UK is far from a democracy for all.

4 Likes

And yet the protesters are destroying where I live because they want to be a ‘democracy’ like USA and UK. WTF? I so wish they were focused on the existential issues facing the entire human race and not these minor, local issues. Not that political rights aren’t important, but they aren’t everything and they seem not to know that.

When I see the destruction going on, I wonder if those causing the damage think it will all be repaired when it is over? The government actually providws many public services here. But there’s no reason to count on getting it all back or any or it.

Looks like London’s famous and unarmed “bobbies” have morphed into a version of their American counterparts, all with the undoubted support of that Trump-like buffoon at the head of their government Boris Johnson.

4 Likes

Boris Johnson wants to ensure the UK’s exit from the EU is carried out. Per the will of the voters. Who democratically voted to exit. Yet a handful of remainers are stymieing his efforts. You are right. The UK is far from a democracy.

1 Like

This is what oligarchy looks like.

2 Likes

Not at all. That isn’t what has the people in the streets where I live. You make my point exactly. They are asking for none of that which would really seem to make some sense to me.

1 Like

Ben Franklin thought he did and set up his own little State under what he thought was a true democracy using direct rule. It collapsed into chaos and he gave it up. I think it was called Franklinville if I’m not mistaken.

Of course the riot police get to be armed, as we attempt to disarm everyone else. Trouble will continue to brew.

We aren’t a democracy. We are ruled by a tiny faction of extreme right-wingers led by someone elected by about 0.02 per cent of the electorate. He claims to be representing the Will of the People - composed of a mere 37 per cent of the electorate - not a majority. And these people are mainly motivated by xenophobia and racism (masquerading as “concern” about immigration) and threaten riots and violence against our judges and MPs if they are thwarted. That’s the State of the Nation today, and we should be ashamed of ourselves.

4 Likes

I grow more and more ashamed of being a U.S. citizen every year. This current regime makes me ill. Trumpo the Traitor and his band of extremist enablers shit all over the Constitution and lie and betray the very people who say that he is the “Chosen One”. Chalk much of this up to 30 plus years of unchallenged right wing media spewing its ignorance and intolerance 24/7. One of the hings that make me so ashamed is that I would have hoped that many more of us would have recognized that pandering garbage for what it was. Tragically, they adopted it as the “truth”. Now we really are a country of what the loathsome Kellyanne Conway called “alternative facts”.

3 Likes

As U.S. cops adopt more and more of the tactics of the military and use the equipment given to them by the military (surveillance, crowd suppression, etc.) so other countries will likely copy us as their own social upheavals grow.

2 Likes

There is a powerful and principled opposition to the fascist challenge in Britain. The story is certainly not over yet.

2 Likes

Same struggle, same trench.

1 Like

As appalling and as trumpian as USAns’ efforts to suppress the voice of the people. This isn’t just about the evils pouring out upon us by the oil and gas industry; it’s about the fundamental importance of citizens’ voices being respectfully heard and obeyed. The police should be encouraging people to participate in democracy, not forcing them to obey the corporations.

1 Like

Now we have a video of a conspiracy to cause public nuisance

Police are scum.

1 Like

You’re misinformed. Boris Johnson and his Thatcherite, neo-liberal cronies are trying to force through an exit from the EU without a deal so they can shred all environmental, social, welfare and employment regulation and there is no democratic mandate for that. Even to the extent of trying prorogue Parliament, like some fascist 3rd world dictator, so he can force it through. At the time of the 3rd referendum (2016) these same cheats and reptiles promised brexit would result in a great trade deal with the EU and that’s what many people voted for, now exposed as a pack of lies and an impossible sham, so they are trying to do what they wanted to do all along, leave with no deal and turn the UK into the deregulated, bargain basement, wage slave, free market Singaporean type economy on the edge of Europe. And people like you support him. You’re easily duped.

2 Likes