Home | About | Donate

'This is the Opposite of What Americans Fought a Revolution For': Tennessee to Strip Right to Vote from Protesters

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/08/22/opposite-what-americans-fought-revolution-tennessee-strip-right-vote-protesters

4 Likes

A couple of things are mixed up in this. For one thing, a felony conviction is a lot bigger a deal than just losing the right to vote – and depriving felons (even while in prison) of the right to vote has nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with oppression, anyhow.

For another thing, what’s with the “fought a revolution for” pretense? The slave-rapists we call “founding fathers” (another f-word comes to mind) had less than zero interest in democracy, period – let alone any universal right to vote. Genuine democracy is a revolutionary concept, not a return to founding principles.

29 Likes

Wow, after taking away protestors right to vote—it seems Iike the reaI criminality is the Governor. I had to go to my atlas and see what the state mottos is----oh my: “Agriculture and Commerce…” Hmm that sounds Iike a boring motto… Oh wait the state bird is the MOCKINGBIRD—that makes sense as what kind of a person wants to take away the right to vote simply for PROTESTING?
Oh this is interesting, the state is named from an Indian word —a Yuchi indian word, " tana see," which means meeting pIace. WeII IoI-----but "meeting pIace is what protestors are creating when they protest! It’s a way to express their 1st Amendment rights of free speech and freedom of assembly. Wow, another moronic governor-----and that is truIy sad. : (

18 Likes

Of course, if the protesters are Q-anon or some other right wing group, I’m sure the police and governor will look the other way.

22 Likes

Zieg Heil!! USA!! USA!!

10 Likes

The disturbing thing about Q-anon is that USA’s right-wingers have a very consistent pattern of accusing others of exactly those indulgences they most enjoy – so I have to wonder how many of the Q-anon weirdos, like the woman who just got into Congress, are themselves closet cannibals.

Caitlin on Q-anon:

~https://consortiumnews.com/2020/08/20/qanon-is-a-fake-decoy-imitation-of-a-healthy-revolutionary-impulse/

9 Likes

How low can they go, there’s no bottom to this barrel. Ignorance and stupidity.

" Amy Goodman: I wanted to ask you about this comment that you made that the Republican Party, you said, is the most dangerous organization in world history. Can you explain?

Noam Chomsky: I also said that it’s an extremely outrageous statement. But the question is whether it’s true. I mean, has there ever been an organization in human history that is dedicated, with such commitment, to the destruction of organized human life on Earth? Not that I’m aware of. Is the Republican organization—I hesitate to call it a party—committed to that? Overwhelmingly. There isn’t even any question about it. "

19 Likes

For those who have never had the pleasure, Tennessee is a state that never left the 50’s. The 1850’s. When you get off the Vanderbilt campus in Nashville it’s as though you walk into the land that time forgot. Segregation is still a thing there. The problem is that the people accept it as normal.
I have been to many of these United States, but I have rarely come across people that were so willfully mean and ignorant than those in Tennessee. It’s like Boston, only bigger.

9 Likes

“Under the new law, demonstrators who camp on state property can now be charged with a Class E felony, punishable by up to six years in prison, rather than a misdemeanor it was previously.”

These people are really serious about their fascism.

12 Likes

Sometimes you come out with some classic funnies Gloriana.

2 Likes

Or give them badges.

3 Likes

This is the opposite of what Americans fought a revolution for.

I find it ironic that these protesters are fighting for justice for the African Americans who have never received justice in this country by invoking the ‘founding fathers’ who enshrined, IN THE CONSTITUTION, the premise that African Americans were only partial humans and WERE NOT ALLOWED TO VOTE. Man, this country just keeps on getting more topsy turvy every effing day.

8 Likes

Dump on Qanon:

~https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/19/trump-qanon-praise-conspiracy-theory-believers

2 Likes

Noam Chomsky as usual nails it! The Republican Party will destroy us all unless we progressives destroy it first, It needs to be re-labeled: THE AMERIKAN FASCIST PARTY; AN AMERICAN TERRORIST PARTY! The most dangerous terrorist organization in the world much more dangerous and terrifying than ISIS or al-quaida !

9 Likes

My sister-in-law is from Kingston, Tennessee and you are correct.

6 Likes

‘If our votes didn’t matter they wouldn’t work so hard to silence us.’

They are making peaceful protests impossible; which means they could be making violent protests inevitable!

13 Likes

My first impression of Tennessee was very lasting indeed. Our son was playing in a tournament in Morristown about 20 years ago. I couldn’t help but notice that there were 2 Waffle House restaurants directly across interstate 40 from each other. We of course walked into the one on our side of the road, and were met with sudden silence. Just like the bar scene from Animal House, we were the only white people there. The hostess walked up and said, “you folks sure you’re in the right place?” After asking if this is the wrong place, she immediately smiled and said “oh, you’re Yankees aren’t you?” She sat us, and we had a very good breakfast.
I asked our waitress what the story was about the two waffle houses being so close together. She explained that the one across the street was for white people. And she was serious. Yes, in 2002, there was basically a whites only restaurant in the foothills of eastern Tennessee.
I drove through there on business a couple years ago, and it was still there. Kind of explains Donald trump doesn’t it?

18 Likes

Please be aware that there’s still reason to keep on hoping for a progressive party. There’s a new “political home” available to you and me and the millions of other progressives who are longing for a government truly intent on improving our lives rather than keeping us down, a government that’s not bought off and controlled by big the oligarchs and the big corporations.

Can we have a government that’s not controlled by the neo-liberals and unduly influenced by the military-industrial complex? The answer is yes, if we’re prepared to support and fight for a political party that’s willing, in turn, to fight for something better.

From 4 p.m. until 6 p.m. Eastern time on August 30, a mere 8 days from now, that upstart Movement for a Progressive Party will conduct it’s virtual convention. Please, please, please do not let it take place without your presence, for that would be a crying shame. You can attend simply by registering and logging on at the designated time.

Here’s a brief excerpt from the Movement’s website:

The People’s Convention will discuss plans to build the largest party in America in the next four years, including building local hubs and state parties, sending representatives to Congress and local office in 2022, and winning the presidency in 2024. We will discuss why we must finish the political revolution in a major new people’s party and how we can do it.

Now, I don’t know how it’s going to turn out but this, I do know. It will only work if enough progressives and others hoping for a better future for themselves and those they love finally come together to make it happen. And if sufficient numbers participate, that progressive political party with meaningful impact on the quality of our lives and the lives of our loved ones will become a reality and a force to be reckoned with. Go to their website, register for the convention scheduled for August 30 and show up!

11 Likes

Er, no Brian. There is no explanation for dump. (Unless you consider some sadistic force, as yet unknown or categorised.)

1 Like

Can you give a link to website please.

1 Like