Home | About | Donate

'This Is the Roadmap': Running on Green New Deal, Virginia Democrats Take Full Control of Government for First Time in Decades

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/11/06/roadmap-running-green-new-deal-virginia-democrats-take-full-control-government-first

1 Like

And progress marches on everywhere

2 Likes

If the state constitution allows it, the Democrats should promptly redraw the legislative and Congressional district maps to favor progressives, liberals, almost everyone else, Democrats, and Republicans - in that order.

5 Likes

Yes, dismantle the steamroller, and give matters of thought a better chance.

3 Likes

“Sunrise Movement’s political director, said Tuesday’s election demonstrated that ‘when candidates reject corporate money and run on ambitious plans to tackle climate change, lower utility costs, and create good jobs, they win—despite right-wing attack ads trying to paint them as too radical.’”

Great - of course, those attacks come from corporate Dem’s too - ideological, but under cover of ‘too radical to win at polls,’ or ‘won’t work.’

6 Likes

We’re going to see two radically different versions of the green new deal. The politically popular version is where we see lots of products imported from Chinese factories and then we rebuild lots of freeways for the jobs part, and maybe a 1950s Disney-style monorail system.

The real deal is where green R&D is democratized so that merit in climate terms, not raw wealth and political bribery, not even academic eminence (Harvard always gets the big bucks and the Presidents keep coming from Harvard, even Trumpy drank his way through Princeton once), determines what products get engineered.

4 Likes

I consider most Dems under the Right Wing banner, but yeah, one must still call them out by name for the uninformed citizen.

3 Likes

“Nothing can stop a movement who’s time has come .”

2 Likes

From Wikipedia:

“In 1964, Trump enrolled at Fordham University.[6][7] Two years later he transferred to the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.”

Trump received a bachelor’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania.

1 Like

Well, the University of Pennsylvania should be downright embarrassed that they awarded him a degree

1 Like

Princeton should not be blamed or even implicated.

My response to you may have seemed blunt, and for that, I apologize. I mentioned Princeton and UofPa only to clarify PaulK’s comment at post #6.

Green politics probably played a part in Virginia’s outcomes, but so did gun control and widespread revulsion at Trump and his attack on federal workers.

2 Likes

Virginia gives me great hope in regards to the democratic primary. It shows that progressive politics play well and that a whole new group of voters are indeed coming to the polls. This should be viewed a real positive for the Sanders campaign. It is remarkable to see how swiftly the old tired logic of the corporate democrats is being tossed aside and dismissed. The revolution is indeed beginning and it is time for Pelosi and the other stooges to get out of the way.

2 Likes