Home | About | Donate

'This Is Unprecedented': Judge Orders Chelsea Manning Jailed, Imposes Daily $500 Fine After 30 Days Behind Bars

'This Is Unprecedented': Judge Orders Chelsea Manning Jailed, Imposes Daily $500 Fine After 30 Days Behind Bars

Jake Johnson, staff writer

In a move press freedom advocates and progressive critics decried as an "outrageous" and "unprecedented" escalation of a prolonged government harassment campaign, a federal judge on Thursday ordered U.S. Army whistleblower Chelsea Manning back to jail for refusing to testify before a secretive grand jury and imposed a $500 fine for every day she is in custody after 30 days.

2 Likes

This is what fascism looks like.

18 Likes

It took the Bush family 3 generations, but their fascist coup finally succeeded.

10 Likes

And the Trump administration…

5 Likes

That’s what happens when folks stand up for the truth .
In the past you would have been crucified ,now they want all your possessions and money you haven’t got.

7 Likes

Chelsea Manning is jailed for truth and principle, while the trump regime rolls along with utter contempt for truth and principle; the contrast is stark showing clearly how our national morality has crumbled into dust.

I would we had more people of conscience in our government than the few we have, as Chelsea Manning demonstrates and exemplifies.

12 Likes

If she is in custody for 18 months under the conditions set by the judge, she will owe $525,000 in penalties. She may NEVER be able to get out from under that debt if she can’t get it thrown out as excessive cruel and unusual punishment. Time for a Go Fund Me. She is the one who should be in office and the people who committed the offenses she revealed are the ones who should be in prison.

14 Likes

"Justice Is Dead In America!"

5 Likes

A substantial body of research claims that incarceration rates are primarily a function of media editorial policies, largely unrelated to the actual crime rate. Constructing Crime: Perspectives on Making News and Social Problems is a book collecting together papers on this theme.[73] The researchers say that the jump in incarceration rate from 0.1% to 0.5% of the United States population from 1975 to 2000 (documented in the figure above) was driven by changes in the editorial policies of the mainstream commercial media and is unrelated to any actual changes in crime. Media consolidation reduced competition on content. That allowed media company executives to maintain substantially the same audience while slashing budgets for investigative journalism and filling the space from the police blotter, which tended to increase and stabilize advertising revenue. It is safer, easier and cheaper to write about crimes committed by poor people than the wealthy. Poor people can be libeled with impunity, but major advertisers can materially impact the profitability of a commercial media organization by reducing their purchases of advertising space with that organization

Just a little food for thought. Hope you enjoyed it,

6 Likes

Wait till they get julian assange. Unprecedented will look like childsplay!!!

6 Likes

The word you can use to describe what’s going on is evil …reverse that word and you get live . It’s really backwards living like the devil …lived…spelt backwards .
Humans are canny at putting hidden meaning into words .We are living in a world of illusion ,it’s time to wake up .

5 Likes

Jean-paul sartre. Being and nothingness.

1 Like

Just what I was thinking: Manning for head of State Dept or something like that.

I seriously doubt Biden would grant executive clemency for Manning. Is there any democratic presidential hopefuls who would? I’d want them to expressly commit to it before I consider voting for them. Let’s add Leonard Peltier to that list. I’m sure there’s others. Assange of course.

2 Likes

Obviously the “right” judge is in charge, the dishonorable Judge Anthony J. Trenga has previously ruled in favor of the Muslim travel ban. This is worthy of Stalin’s justice system, attempting to force Ms. Manning to fabricate evidence against Mr. Assange, so that he can be charged with abetting hacking rather than journalism.

4 Likes

Tulsi Gabbard has stated she would pardon Snowden and drop charges on Assange. I suspect she would also look favorably on Manning.
Chelsea may go on a hunger strike and this may force government to force feed or release her.

7 Likes

I’ll take you’re post one step further, these judges must be very publicly, shamed. I’d like to see a time when fascist judges like this one are ashamed to walk down the street.

4 Likes

The long arms of the Trump dictatorship, enabled by establishment Democrats, are eviscerating what should be an independent judiciary.

2 Likes

‘This is what fascism looks like’ … when no one opposes it.

First they imprison the revealers of truth, then they resort to torture. In this case the official torturer (inquisitor) is Judge Antony J. Trenga.

The time has come to either admit defeat or learn from the yellow vest. Pecking on touch screens will not get it done.

4 Likes

And here I thought it was the war on drugs that created the increase in incarceration.

2 Likes

We will have to wait a couple of years before we can reassess. We can find moral leadership if we want to.

1 Like