Home | About | Donate

'This Is Us': In Wake of El Paso, Eddie Glaude Delivers 'Incredibly Powerful' Statement About US History of Racism and Violence—And You Can't Just Blame Trump

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/08/06/us-wake-el-paso-eddie-glaude-delivers-incredibly-powerful-statement-about-us-history

3 Likes

I’m very proud of Mr. Glaude telling it like it is. Yes its easy to place “it” on rump’s shoulders. However, these very same ugly people like a big bully of a leader to follow. That’s why they voted for rump. They don’t like soft talkers for leaders. They want a podium thumper. With that in mind, I believe that it is republican leader’s responsibility to rebuke these ugly people and tell them that this behavior is not to be tolerated! They aren’t doing that.

3 Likes

I woke up this morning and found myself in a very weird world, it’s some place I cannot identify with. “They say”, this is us, sorry, it’s you not me and yet I am the one classified as “crazy”. I live alone out in the middle of nowhere in the desert hidding under the covers from you. The quality of my life sucks. Thanks a lot folks!

1 Like

I agree that the GOP leaders should rebuke this racism. But many of Trump’s supporters are driven by economic fears brought down on them by an oligarchy that exploits race to divide and conquer. Until the top-down class war is confronted honestly things will only get worse.

7 Likes

A very powerful statement of truth from Professor Glaude.

This regime is not the cause of our crises or inhumanity or exploitation, especially regarding race and justice, it IS though, the current manifestation of bigotry and racism, and the president the current champion of regime policies that build on our past of racism and genocide, not diminish that ugly history - he - trump - is very intentionally stoking the flames of hatred and racism against minority peoples - and for that he must be singled-out and held accountable for there to be any substantive change or some “truth and reconciliation commission” reckoning as in South Africa and other conflict areas.

The possibility exists, even if slim, that the odious excesses of hatred and division into “us vs them” by this person and his regime, might rouse people to see a greater truth.

4 Likes

Yes, this is who we are. We are ICE separating children from their parents and operating concentration camps for profit. We are the sanctions, weapon sales and the military used against people of color all over the world for their resources and the profits. We are unarmed black men being killed by police on the streets with no accountability. We are true blue American terrorists murdering people and children all over the country with no Congress standing up to the NRA. We are a country where politicians vote for trillions in military money and tell us we can’t afford to give people healthcare, education and a living wage. Welcome to America.

8 Likes

Manifest destiny way out of control. Racism deep in the veins of this country. Why hasn’t anyone talked about using the Patriot Act against domestic terrorism. The talking heads at CNN, MSNBC are either stupid or don’t know how the Patriot Act works. Probably both. Stokely Carmichael discussed how the FBI, and the CIA provided intelligence for white supremacist groups. If the feds can’t get the job done, maybe it’s time we started getting the job done!

2 Likes

Wow. Thank you, Professor.

1 Like

There is no doubt that the generation of men and woman that lived through the Confederacy and the Jim Crow years are still alive and well.

It was just a few years ago that we had to fight tooth and nail to get Civil Rights legislation through a predominantly Bigoted Congress.

Our current crop of Racial Bigots and White Nationalists remained partially incognito during the Obama Years.

But now these Cave Dwellers have emerged into the light of Day and feel comfortable spewing their contempt for Mexicans, Muslims, Jews and Blacks.

They finally have the return of their Slave holding General, Robert E. Lee in the White House.

These ancestors of the Civil War are ready to fight that War again.

They either want the Free Labor of the Black People or they want to send them back to Africa.

These mindless Red Neck Bigots can easily relate to their new leader, Trump, because he Hates the same type of People they do.

3 Likes

I am depressed too. But I cannot shirk my civic responsibility to try to stop it. I cannot say, “This is you, not me.” It’s not me, but us.

2 Likes

As I said in the previous thread, leadership has not been our friend on this homeland war front.

2 Likes

Very true. Trump cannot be blamed for racism and violence in the US just like Putin cannot be blamed for Trump. Republicans have been racist since Lincoln founded the Party.

The person that the Democrat’s power structure is positioning as the Presidential candidate, Joe Biden, has made very racially offensive comments, used his power to in ways that have had negative impacts of people of color, and has refused to apologize for this. Moreover, the Democrat’s, as a Party, have never apologized for their founder, President Andrew Jackson, leading crimes against humanity in his attacks against First Peoples and taking pleasure in brutality inflicted upon enslaved Blacks.

The US is founded upon genocide of the indigenous population, brutality and enslavement of tens of millions of Black people, and imperialist attacks against people in the Global South. The political leadership of this nation, the nations historians and cultural leaders, and the US society as whole has never accepted responsibility for these crimes against humanity, nor have there ever been an atoning for these crimes or reparations for the decants who still suffer the lingering negative affects of the legacy of these crimes.

8 Likes

If we are going to say that it is everybody’s fault then it is nobody’s fault. Frustration looks for easy answers which solve nothing. There are plenty of people of good will who are being silenced by the greed and injustice of a few (e.g. Trump)

3 Likes

They are gonna give the guy the death penalty. That will solve all the problems and let people recover from this terrible tragedy. The quick fix is in. They love killing folks in Texas.

2 Likes

While the Republicans may have been racist it is the party that opened its doors to freed slaves after the Civil War. Traditionally it has been more progressive on race than the Democrats who were terrible racists in the 19th & 20th centuries up until the 1950s and 1960s. In 1968, Nixon sold out the blacks with his southern strategy to capture all of the formerly democratic racists in the states of the old south. of course, neither party has been that great but the Democratic party did show some true progress in the 50s and 60s.

2 Likes

We are also a country where the politicians don’t seem to care what the public thinks. It seems like a minority is controlling our government and the majority have either given up in hopelessness or don’t care. There needs to be a wake up and people need to rise up to take back the country from the fringes who now control it.

3 Likes

very true - economics is usually behind so many problems although that should not be an excuse for hatred and bigotry.

1 Like

You’d think they’d want to kill a corporation or two every so often—you know, just to show they’re serious about them being “people.”

5 Likes

Mr. Glaude is correct. Another “person of color”, the wonderful Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, has stated that as appalling as Trump is he is also a symptom of something that has gone very wrong with our country. I couldn’t agree more. Look at the endless “rallies” that this egomaniacal monster has talked at and the appalling people who listen to his every word and cheer him even when he spreads his xenophobia and general bullshit. They are part of a regressive movement that is doing exactly the opposite of “Making America Great Again” and, like their malignant narcissist president, they will never blame themselves for any of it. It is always the Others. the libtards, the “illegals,” and the non-whites who are “stealing our country”.
Demonizing innocent people and killing them was a feature of the Nazi regime as well and we have already seen the move toward authoritarianism that Trump is responsible for. He has aligned himself with foreign despots and said that he is like-minded with Brazil’s new neo-fascist president. He has also said that he likes the idea of being like President Xe of China who is President for Life. His idiot followers can’t get enough of this treason. They are a disgrace as citizens and as Americans. This will not end well as I can see the real possibility that if Trump loses what will undoubtedly be a rigged election next year he will simply declare it was fixed for the Democrat and he will not leave the White House. Then he will create even more chaos than he already has and we could see a new version of a civil war begin. Trump has ruined nearly everything he has touched with his schemes for more money and power. This time it could actually be the United States. As I have said before Trump is a combination of Nero and Commodus all rolled up into one large putrid orange ball.

2 Likes

Correct. Remember the detailed Gilens and Page study which showed that the business of Congress has almost nothing to do with what the people said they want.
Our system of government is broken and it was done this way by design.
“If voting could actually change anything they would make it illegal.” – Emma Goldman

4 Likes