Home | About | Donate

'This is What Solidarity Looks Like' as Wayfair Employees to Walk Off Job to Protest Company for Working With Child Detention Centers

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/06/25/what-solidarity-looks-wayfair-employees-walk-job-protest-company-working-child

1 Like

From the article:

“…we believe it is our business to sell to any customer who is acting within the laws of the countries within which we operate.”

As we all know, “legal” isn’t necessarily “right.” Brains and morals are for those times when rules are inadequate. This is one of those times.

11 Likes

I am not a consumer of that scale but even then I do not buy from the likes of them or giant box stores. Where I live we have a 3rd generation Mom&Pop grocery store, that’s it. That is where I spend my money instead of driving 25 miles to a blue and white box store, you know who I mean. All of that being said, it truly is up to us to do what we can to defend and protect those that are vulnerable to the powers we have no control over.

5 Likes

The woman who reported the carnage said the children had phone numbers of relatives in the US. She called some of them and they wanted to pick up the children and take them home. Many asylum seekers have relatives in the US. Under Obama the seekers stayed with the family or named hosts until their court date. They had a 90% appearance rate in court or more. That is the legal decent way to handle asylum seekers. Trump carnage is a shame on the US.

17 Likes

Nice to see these antifascist protests spreading.

5 Likes

Wayfair you got NOTHING I need. End your damn policy.

3 Likes

Even if they don’t have relatives, I’m sure there are plenty of decent folks who would take them in instead of leaving them in those hellholes patrolled by gorillas.

7 Likes

That 90% appearance rate has been translated into 90% MORE private profit by “externalizing the cost” of the rule of law, compassion, legitimacy and ethics in the human conscience. That was done by the bloviator in chief by manufacturing a crisis. This is how the mafia works. Someday someone will do a study of the people who sell their souls for jobs in these places without taking a stand and DO THE RIGHT THING.

3 Likes

“As a retailer, it is standard practice to fulfill orders for all customers and we believe it is our business to sell to any customer who is acting within the laws of the countries within which we operate”

Money before Morality…Nice Touch Niraj…you Putz

As I recall there were Laws on the German Books when they started shipping the Jews to their Final Solution.

2 Likes

Yo, Wayfair, this is me not buying shit from you.

4 Likes

Oh Wayfair: I think that the world will have to change your name to match your inhumane actions:

WayUNfair—seems to be the exact fit. : (

9 Likes

Absolutely beautiful! We need to develop the consciousness of global citizenship and not be limited by local identities if we are going to make it. Solidarity is an absolute necessity and so is the bigger picture. Thank you to these workers for their courage on behalf of our southern neighbors’ children.

From a recent essay by writer Neil J. Smith author of On The Ropes to be released in November:

The take away is to not become consumed with the nations pathology and find oneself a prisoner in ones flesh. As, all too tragically, many of us become because we can not “Find a way out.” The out is we must, if we are not already, global citizen and not merely citizens of the country in which we dwell. As Kipling put it, “What do they know of England who only England know?” It’s a fair question. If one thinks as does most Americans then, it turns out, they have nowhere else to turn but the color of their skin, and it ensnares them. All too many black people are not only trapped in their blackness but imprisoned in State facility because of it… a Cosmic perspective is required to lift us out of the morass in which our “Nation wallows." One must take the world, as a citizen of that world, and not focus simply on The United States. It makes mental pigmies of us, and we can’t solve the problem of the racial divide because we are seeing it from too close up… I hope we realize it does not have to be that way. It should be recognized that Baldwin left the States and would only come and go, and go more frequently than come. It gave him an Olympian view, an objective perspective. We must purge ourselves of the idea that we are only locally located. We must take a Cosmic perspective, less we heal nothing least of all ourselves. And this, I hope, is a healing process.

4 Likes

Goddamnit. I can not even look at that picture. It makes me sick…very.

“…we believe it is our business to sell to any customer…"
I will never do business with that company - ever

Going forward, any time I see the Wayfair logo I will also see that baby on the fucking floor

I suspect that the companies that supplied:

Said the same thing

5 Likes
3 Likes

More Retailers are picking up their heads as they know what’s coming down the pike for big businesses economy wise looks scary as hell. trumps so called Booming Economy hopefully will bite him in the ass just in time for the election. The analysts are calling for a possible Recession and his ridiculous Tariff Power Play is making all of it worse. A perfect time to Protest with a Walk Outs. More Retailers should do this as they will get hit hardest. People have Zip… and are mostly buying necessities. At this point, anything to Denounce Trump is a good thing. The Dems better get their shit in one sock…If he gets re-elected we are done!

That just about sums up US American capitalism where Africans were seen as the biggest commodity to be bought and sold which also lead to ever expanding greed of indigenous land to grow the cash crop cotton on the literal backs of black slaves that made the wealth of this nation.

This is what I don’t get about these big companies that pay slave wages. If they want to continue to be successful and make huge, obscene profits, doesn’t it behoove them to pay higher wages so there is more money to spend?

1 Like

If that picture of the little Hispanic girl sleeping on the hard and cold concrete does not make you ashamed to be an American… then nothing will!

4 Likes

Way TOO UNFAIR for me. Bye bye, Wayfair…

Mother Earth is the Slave We Must Fight to Free Now

1 Like