Home | About | Donate

'This Is What Winning Looks Like': DNC Bans Donations From Fossil Fuel Companies

'This Is What Winning Looks Like': DNC Bans Donations From Fossil Fuel Companies

Andrea Germanos, staff writer

The Democratic National Committee (DNC) on Saturday unanimously passed a resolution to ban campaign donations from fossil fuel companies.

Author and 350.org co-founder Bill McKibben called it a sign that the "social license of big oil is being steadily revoked." 350.org Action, for its part, declared, "This is what winning looks like, folks."

We need the Democratic majority to restore our faith in them. They have to fund the R&D necessary to flatten and end the entire fossil fuel industry.

1. If you live in Maine, Michigan, Minnesota or Montana, then all last winter your house or office building should have been absorbing and storing solar heat in the afternoon, and it should have been heating itself up to 68 degrees by 7:00 a.m. the next morning using that stored heat. This horse race should have been over years ago, this train should have long ago left the station and the natural gas industry in 2017 should have been struggling to find any consumer demand at all. Where’s the beef?

2. The next electricity race is for stored nighttime electricity. Line up every viable horse in this new race. Fund and develop every good possibility until we’re sure that each particular possibility has lost out to its competitors. Go! They’re off! Who’s in the lead? Build this and solar self-heating buildings, and soon you’ll hear the death rattle of the natural gas industry. Then the Republicans won’t get any fossil fuel slush money either.

3. The chief inventions for our mass transit system came out in the 19th century. They invented the air brake, the self-coupling railway car and the cowcatcher. Our civilization forgot how to build cowcatchers, but if they could be redesigned to move minivans or luckless on-track pedestrians safely off the tracks maybe we should bring them back. In any case, we need an above-grade automated transit system that does everything right.

4. We have to prevent an Arctic meltdown, or else our planet has a food supply meltdown and that won’t be pretty at all. So, where’s the prototyping? I want a wind-powered artificial snowmaking machine to restore the tundra’s albedo in late spring and in early fall. The Republicans can laugh in the face of death if they really want to posture like culties, but I want to see a real responder effort to save our grandchildren’s lives.

Nice to see some good news now and again.

When something goes against a cherished narrative-belief - like the cherished narrative held by a majority of commenters here, it is ignored. So expect the comment section to this particular article to be mostly crickets chirping…

How will this “New Rule” be policed and enforced?

Chirp!

So the Democrat party’s much-belated scrambling to catch up with its constituents is to be celebrated like the Second Coming? Pardon me for being underwhelmed. I thought that’s what political parties were supposed to do, but, in its usual fashion, it will once again fake left and go right to placate the donor class.

Full disclosure: I’ll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Dems got few Big Fossil bribes in 2018 compared to Reps. I have a long way to trust the DNC, but keep it coming and who knows?

https://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=E01

Since most donations from fossil fuel companies go to Republicans, that is the party that likes to scream out “drill baby drill” at its conventions or at least did until it was replaced by the equallly insane screaming to “lock her up,” this is somewhat of a symbolic gesture. But nevertheless it is the right thing to do and it is compatible with the DNC’s position on climate change.

That’s good.

Can we go for no donations from foreign governments as well? 5 oil-producing nations donated to the Clinton campaign in’16.

Still need to enable a democratic nomination process.

If you think this is what “winning” looks like, it is no wonder America is imploding.
This is what a blatant, and ultimately toothless, PR move looks like.
All this does is prevent the people behind the fossil fuel companies from donating directly from a few specific accounts.

CAN I REALLY BELIEVE MY EYES … !!

Wow – !!!

“Unanimously passed a resolution to ban campaign donations from fossil fuel companies.”

The text cites the climate crisis’s “existential threat to civilization,” and asserts that "fossil fuel corporations are drowning our democracy in a tidal wave of dark oily money; they have deceived the public about the impacts of climate change, fought the growth of clean renewable energy, and corrupted our political system."

It goes on to note that hundreds of individual candidates in the party have already vowed not to take money from the dirty industry.

Well – Thank you Christine Pelosi, daughter of Nancy Pelosi –

A baby step by the DNC, yes it’s a step in the right direction, but very small.
How about they ban donations form all corporations. There’s hope and change we could get behind.
This won’t happen until all corp. Dems are purged from the party.

I wouldn’t heap too much praise on the DNC yet. There are foreign governments, banks, corporations, NRA, PACs and other dangerous special interest group donations that pour into candidates’ coffers. When the DNC has banned all those donations, then we will see a change in politics.