Home | About | Donate

'This Is Why We Continue to Fight': Indigenous Leaders Outraged as Trans Mountain Pipeline Spills 50,000 Gallons of Crude Oil

There is very little information about the monitoring system of oil leaks that I know of and that even applies to the horrible mess that I have personally inspected, of the EXXON Valdez oil tanker spill which just devastated Prince William Sound. To this day, it has not been thoroughly cleaned!

3 Likes

There have been instances where pipelines in remote areas were leaking and the leak not discovered until local First Nations hunters came across the spill in the wilderness and alerted authorities.

The types of pipelines leaking run the spectrum from those that were constructed many years ago only now beginning to fail after years of service and leak to even pipelines built a few years ago that are failing because of sub-standard construction practices where they cut corners to get these things built as quickly and as cheaply as possible.

The thing is these pipelines will always fail and even if they do not fail for 50 years they will fail meaning massive cleanups needed 50 years from now. Every pipeline constructed WILL fail and if one looks at a map of pipelines in North America, these things are everywhere.

When they do fail many of the Companies that built them are out of business or have been bought by another firm and more often then not the taxpayer foots the costs of cleanup. Even with cleanup they can never restore the environment to its natural state,

When one Pipeline company buys up another in a merger they often spend billions to do so. After making that investment they need to generate a return as quickly as possible to recoup the costs of that investment. This is accomplished by laying off employees and cutting way back on monitoring and maintenance. This means more spills.

We have seen only the tip of the iceberg with these reported on spills. There are going to be far more occurring in the future.

6 Likes

Make them drink the contaminated water until they can’t take it anymore, then give them water from Flint Michigan to cleanse their pallets.

1 Like

Today the Supreme Court approved a gas pipeline to be constructed under the Appalachian Trail from West Virginia to North Carolina. Not good. Even Ruth Bader Ginsburg voted for it.

6 Likes

They must have discovered a few miles of West Virginia that hadn’t been defouled and decided we can’t allow that.

6 Likes

Excellent, just excellent! That is something that is very seldom mentioned.

3 Likes

Hey, I understand, at least they put somewhat of an effort to clean up PW Sound, here on the Gulf of Mexico, they just sprayed it with dispersants, dropped it to the bottom, problem solved as far as their concerned. There is literally tons of it at the bottom of the Gulf, no one knows how many hundreds of years it will take to break it down.

5 Likes

I agree it’s crazy, see my post above about the Deep Water Blow-out in 2010. I understand, pipes fail, welds fail, etc., but it’s still hard to wrap my head around that there’s no technology today that’s reliable, to detect these spills at the pumping stations themselves. The AK. pipeline used to send a device (PIG) down the pipe every so often to detect defects in the pipe and welds, I’m not sure if it’s still in use today. I remember reading that the section the BP used to own, had many more leaks than the rest of the pipeline, turns out they stopped using the device to save money, typical of BP. In a perfect world we wouldn’t have them, in a less than perfect world they should be forced to use all technology available to reduce damage to the environment, and fine their fannies off when they don’t and when their product hits the ground.

4 Likes

Until the oil companies really have to pay all the costs to the environment damages and “clean-up” (not all of which can ever be totally accomplished) they will not use safety devices, actually care about their spills, or stop increasing their exploitation.

The fossil fuel industry must be made pay for all costs, be assessed fines, forced to put billions in escrow for potential water pollution, and all tax-breaks and all government “subsidies” ended .

NONE of that will happen until we get into the streets demanding an end to the fossil-fuel conglomerate lies and deceptions, subversion of government, violence and brutality against humans, water quality, The Natural World, and all animal life - whether police violence or fossil fuel conglomerate, both kill; one fast by shooting to death, the other long term via cancers and other diseases and deadly conditions.

ENOUGH!

5 Likes

You see the Supreme beings got their way !

In the near future there will be no supreme court ,the will of the people ,the local people will get to decide.
What works for the ecology will be utmost in the decision ,what works for Life to thrive.

4 Likes

They’re failing at a higher rate, due to a very REAL perfect storm of loosening regulation & oversite, the slick-water fracking, Dilute Bitumen and now fracked ethane/ plastics pyramids; where both sociopathic parties join in fucking investors and poisoning air, water & food to pocket a buck. After all the good inspectors had their contracts bought-out, conscientious workers forced into early retirement, DOT/ PHMSA corrupted, five new Indian & 7 largely ancient Russian mills & 3rd party inspection firms switched to virtually untrained frequently undocumented, transient 1099, temp hands… Well, just think what’s about to happen under Trump/ Biden if it got so much worse under Shrub & Obama that monopoly LLC gas transmission companies has PHMSA attributing most catastrophic pipeline failures to, “subsidance” as ETHANE lines are laid adjacent to schools, hospitals & nursing homes, and it’s all a scam, where debt is the real product? Of COURSE we’ll pay!

~https://www.desmogblog.com/2020/06/15/shell-falcon-pipeline-construction-pandemic-permits

3 Likes

Almost hell, West Virginia…

2 Likes

Even with those substandard welds and that low quality steel, a lot of these firms have been pushing more oil through these pipelines then they were designed to handle. They want to get the flow as high as possible so as to maximize profits , this added pressure putting more strain on those welds.

There was a whistleblower her in Canada who worked as an inspection engineer. When he made what was going on public he was fired from his job.

~https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/whistleblower-forced-investigation-of-transcanada-pipelines-1.1146204

Note how his going public forced the NEB to act. The NEB is the agency that is supposed to monitor pipeline safety. They come back with the claim that while what Evan Vokes claimed was true , that the Companies in question had already addressed those concerns.

Absolute rubbish. A few weeks after this “review” a number of pipelines failed just as Mr Vokes claimed they would.

3 Likes

That idea came to my mind too. But the only foolproof way to end this, is a total stoppage of fossil fuels. And when is that going to happen? We are all guilty of perpetuating the existence of these oil companies.

1 Like

Hopefully Hemp, hopefully.

2 Likes

They’d ALWAYS done that. But, first under Shrub, then under Obama. DOT authorized 80% SMYS (up from 72%) which we thought hilarious; given the breakdown in quality standards, oversite, materials and workmanship, just in time for the fracking boom, beginning after Katrina. Now, I’m totally cognizant, that it’s ALL forms of oversite, inspection and industry standards. But REALLY don’t want novice hands, sent to perform welds on laminated Ukranian slabs, rolled into coils full of centerline inclusions, ignoring (or fudging) procedures, trying out different parameters, combining AC & DC passes, with whatever consumables are most convenient to throw a lot of metal (allowing fewer passes to speed things up), because, empirically experienced welders refused to take responsibility or charged appropriately with doing a proper job? Don’t live in an Appalachian valley… ethane’s heavier than air, and we’ve seen 18’ of torn HAZ or weld. Let’s see if they remove this post?

2 Likes

Even better:

~https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAfjgTc-t0U

Hi sekhmetsdaughter:

The juvenile delinquent part of my brain wants someone to fly planes like the kind that drops chemicals on fires—but fill the planes with this crude oil: then look up the addresses of the CEO and overly paid oil people of this company----and then fly over their properties and dump oil all over them. The first time I though of this was when the oily Rex Tillerson would not allow anything destructive near his house.
The hypocrisy is astounding and the lack of any consequences is horrifying—because the Exxon Valdez of long ago never finished cleaning up anything either! Perhaps someone from Alaska can tell us how that went as corporations are criminal and they get away with all the destruction that they create! AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGH!
First they came for protesting Americans and black people and now they are trying to screw over the indigenous people too! Has ANY oil company EVER had consideration for land and people and Nature anywhere???

2 Likes

Oh, I do love your idea! Combined with the oil, we could mix the contents of sanitary sewers. After all, they think their own waste products have no odor…

2 Likes

With the strident opposition to any more pipelines in Canada, you would have thought that pipeline companies would have been absolutely dedicated to making sure there were no spills of any kind, even if they had to double shift their personnel and add further senors. I guess the companies didn’t think the extra cost was worth it. Boy were they wrong!