Home | About | Donate

This Labor Day, Remember That Martin Luther King’s Last Campaign Was for Workers’ Rights

This Labor Day, Remember That Martin Luther King’s Last Campaign Was for Workers’ Rights

Peter Dreier

Most Americans today know that Reverend Martin Luther King Jr. was killed in Memphis, Tennessee in 1968, but few know why he was there. King went to Memphis to support African American garbage workers, who were on strike to protest unsafe conditions, abusive white supervisors, and low wages — and to gain recognition for their union. Their picket signs relayed a simple but profound message: “I Am A Man.”

I can’t believe that “progressives” still promote a Fight for $15 that drags out the actual $15/hr wage for 3-5 years (by which time it will be 5-20% less because of inflation). Any “minimum” wage that is not a LIVABLE WAGE is exploitive. To suck peoples’ time/energy/resources into a campaign that fights for something that is not what it says it is reeks of even more exploitation and co-opts people for capitalists. If this is what being “left” in the U.S. is, I am not left.

A MINIMUM WAGE THAT IS A LIVABLE WAGE! NOW!!!

Martin Luther King had more “humanity” in his little finger, than this entire Republican administration.

But the authentic, global, real Labor Day is May 1 when labor across the globe remember their solidarity.
Time the US Labor joined the rest of our brother and sisters across the globe. This would be a preferable way to remember Labor.

From Truthout:

Absolutely. “Labor Day” in the U.S. was originally “Law Day” instituted by capitalists and the U.S. labor “movement” rolled over and accepted it. I am lucky that I have a history in Chicago and know about the Haymarket rebellions (as much of the world’s left does) and can see through this BS.

Solidarity to a real sister, GL. Struggle on on as best you can. We are never alone.

Thanks Tom, and you are a true-blue radical brother. not afraid to address what needs addressing. So yeah, it is good to know we are not alone.

If you have time check out this new website of another radical brother, a writer and former Black Panther:

http://literarytongues.com

Giovanna:

I read Neil Smith’s Bio-Blurb and it is truly interesting. I’ll get into the website deeper after awhile. Thanks for the link,

TomJ

Thank you, Peter Dreier, for this excellent informative historical review, with emphasis on Dr. Martin L. Kings’s influence on Civil Rights and Labor Rights, including up to the present day. When I read this, I feel his spirit and presence, and I am inspired and encouraged. May he be always with us. In solidarity this Labor Day, a member of Teamsters Local 120 in Dubuque.

That probably was one reason MLK was assassinated. Hoover was a Republican who called and demonized MLK as a “communist sympathizer” when what he really was… was a humanity sympathizer.

MLK was assassinated because he threatened their love of Hate.

Trump chooses Labor Day holiday to proclaim his presidential whim of ending the humanitarian Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, for 845,000 “Dreamers.”

As in Dr. King’s day, only one leader rises with any moral or political authority to condemn this vile whim. Fifty years ago Dr. King stood against the ugly and cruel, and today only Senator Bernie Sanders condemns this “the ugliest and cruelest decision ever made by a president.”

No other US religious leaders, Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Jew or Muslim speak out against this; their collective yawn to greet this news is striking and notable.

Perhaps a mantle of moral authority that Dr. King possessed is finally being passed to another American.