Home | About | Donate

This Map Shows How the Apple-FBI Fight Was About Much More Than One Phone

This Map Shows How the Apple-FBI Fight Was About Much More Than One Phone

Eliza Sweren-Becker

The government insisted that its effort to force Apple to help break into an iPhone as part of the investigation into the 2015 San Bernardino shootings was just about that one case. Even though the FBI no longer needs Apple’s help in that case, the FBI’s request was part of a sustained government effort to exercise novel law enforcement power.

Where is the legend for the colors on the map ?

Quite a few years ago, the program "60 Minutes" did a story on the then nascent spy operations. The topic was that certain buzz words--BOMB being one of them--tweaked the spy circuits, and according to the individual interviewed, a regular Mom was harassed by some suit from an alphabet agency because she or her son had used the terminology that "her son bombed a test at school." (The program was called "Echelon.")

With that anecdote serving as prelude, what would happen to all the spies' circuits if everyone suddenly started using terms like BOMB simultaneously? And I mean MILLIONS of people?

I get Bonnie Rait's song lyrics in my mind at the sheer thought of it: "Let's give 'em something to talk about..." or better yet, overwhelm the bastards' circuits!

They have NO right to spy on us!
They have NO right to read our computer emails.
They have NO right to imprison people on the basis of a fallacious war on terror that is itself, the product of Deep State players who have essentially enacted a coup that's continuing to have dire global repercussions.