Home | About | Donate

'This Merger Is a Monopolistic Disaster': Consumer Groups Decry Approval of T-Mobile/Sprint Deal

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/02/11/merger-monopolistic-disaster-consumer-groups-decry-approval-t-mobilesprint-deal

If all the mergers go through as planned, and we end up back at the beginning with one giant telecom corporation, let’s not make the prior mistake and break it up, but this time, rather nationalize it as a publicly-owned utility. (Remember Lily Tomlin’s Ernestine? “We don’t care–we don’t have to. We’re the Phone Company.”)

3 Likes

Bernie will simply have to break them up again.

Normally I’d agree - I believe that all essential utilities should be at least majority owned by the government. The long time ago former pres of Bell Enterprises thought so too (Phillipe de Grandpre I think was his name).

The problem Guild is we have no governments worthy of the name, if governments mean taking care of and respecting the people.

Now it would be like the Mafia nationalizing an olive oil company.

1 Like

Your objection is not without merit. There are tons of jobs that need doing when we finally wrest control of government from the predatory, parasitic rich. It’s coming, “and that right soon.”

3 Likes

Doesn’t matter what people want.

1 Like

It looks like the oligarchs are pushing all these dangerous mergers now before Bernie becomes president. They know he won’t allow these smash and grab policies under his administration.

2 Likes

T-mobile is German.
American Water is German.
All business commoditiies drift toward monopoly over time.
How many companies are mining iron ore in Minnesota?
How many American companies are designing, tooling up, building and selling cars and trucks?
How many pharma companies selling us the same medicinal?

Yes, prices will increase from ATT, Verizon and this new combined outfit. Profits is why they do it. Not because they are in love, respect each other.

It only takes a well funded lawsuit to put a moratorium on a merger. That’s what trump would do, if he didn’t want a merger.

Isn’t it a bit of karma that our democracy is one of laws. It’s fitting that it dies because of runaway litigation.

“For my friends, everything; for my enemies, the law”

Maddow uses this quote extensively in her revelatory book on the ‘merger’ of oil & government in “Blowout”.

all the while corporate media pretends that nationalization of necessary services is a bad thing…

And as if T-Mobile/Sprint weren’t bad enough, Verizon has always been the worst. AT&T the original too accepts blame for shoddy workmanship arranging telephone connections. Calling the nomination: Amy or Liz with Bernie remaining a close ally. Women must kick fake blond hair butt out of our arena of sensibility.

I haven’t read her book “Blowout” yet. A great prerequisite, and easy to read book, could be John Perkins’ “Confessions of an Economic Hit Man.”

If there is collusion to price fix, that should be prosucuted. But if not, AT&T would be stupid to raise their prices because I can’t be the only AT&T cell phone customer who isn’t happy with them and would move to another company that isn’t Verizon (even less happy with those guys) as long as the coverage is reasonable. Raising prices just gives another reason for customers to leave to this new option that wasn’t practical before (neither Sprint’s nor T-mobile’s coverage is that great around where I live on their own) . I’ve long had more respect for Sprint and T-mobile (especially T-mobile) than for the other two and will be considering moving to whatever the merged company is called.

I do not agree with Public citizen on this one.

Note: I do not have any financial conflict of interest in expressing my view (no stock in any cell phone company - funny I was just posting about this as an example of a conflict of interest for someone with stock to @SuspiraDeProfundis recently not knowing it was possibly going to happen this soon - I figured it would happen eventually).

1 Like

A possible option for cable TV, internet access and cell phones:
County provided.

We do have rural electric companies who purchase bulk electricity and distribute to homes, businesses and farms. Why not use this as a beginning model.

Need not be a money loser. Break even is OK.

I saw that on the shelves when it came out - but couldn’t get up the gumption to read more bad news from an ‘economic hitman’.

Maddow is different - unknown completely to me until a couple of months ago, when she was being discussed by posters here.

But I can tell you this Gandolf - I can spot a diamond in the rough. I know oil and gas from ground level - not the high level Maddow details, but you pick up vibes on the ground floor. And I’ve read “Oracle of Oil”, the bio of Marion King Hubbert - and that set the background.

Maddow has chosen to link many things in her book - the most important is her insistence on putting not only real faces in there, but in depth characters - the ones who are in fact ‘corporations’, as a corporation is no more a person that the piece of paper which creates its legal standing.

This way of chronologically following oil and gas here and in Russia, thru Putin to Harold Hamm of Contintal Energy in frack central Oklahoma City to the young seismologist there being leaned on by big oil - and the parallels in actual ways things are done between Russia and here - you’d have to be blind not to see them.

Rex Tillerson figures prominently along side his Russian counterpart Igor Ivanovich Sechin of Rosneft - just as big as Exxon, well - I could go on and on -

We’re not going to stop this juggernaut in the New Hampshire Primary, or this year, or this decade, unless I miss my guess.

So - know your enemy.

PS: I’ve changed. For me there’s no more ‘let’s educate the public’ - this is a battle for survival, and words are perhaps less than useless - allowing one to pretend some good is being done.

These guys intend to bury us - and I don’t like to lose.

1 Like

“Except prices to rise and service to suffer.”
That is one of the Republican Party’s favorite mottoes.
P.S. “Mission Accomplished.”

ms-That is a great post. Thank you.

I like the idea of municipal wi-fi and think there have been enough demonstrations to be confident it could be done well. Perhaps cell phone infrastructure is different enough that it is a bit too much to bite off at first go - I’d start with more public banking, Medicare for All and free public college obviously, and municipal wi-fi.

So I have no problem with his merger as long as anti-trust prosecutions aren’t hamstrung (as I’m afraid they are under Trump, but I still can’t oppose the merger on principle and I do think it would give some AT&T and Verizon customers besides myself an additional option which isn’t nothing - I’d be interested in knowing if any Sprint or T-mobile customers are bothered. I realize there will likely be some layoffs with consolidation.

1 Like