Home | About | Donate

This Moment at Standing Rock Was Decades in the Making

This Moment at Standing Rock Was Decades in the Making

Jenni Monet

Attack dogs and waves of arrests by police in riot gear could look like isolated incidents of overreaction to the activism stemming from the Standing Rock reservation. But for the Lakota Sioux who live in these marginalized hillsides, the escalated militarization behind their battle against the Dakota Access pipeline is a situation decades in the making.

I know some will claim it not Democratic and a form of racism (which I disagree with) but it has long been my belief that here In Canada there should be a percentage of seats in our Parliament and Senate reserved for our First Nations peoples,

This the second piece I read today on Standing Rock and it another good one and I thank CD for these.

From the story: “The outsiders coming in, we feel, are bringing this unrest,” said Ron Ness, a multigenerational North Dakotan.

Let's look at the data:
Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. of Dallas Texas
Sunoco Logistics of Newton Square Pennsylvania
Army Corps of Engineers of Washington D.C.
38 major financial institutions from Canada, Switzerland, Germany, England, Japan, Scotland, and the U.S. (mainly New York).

Yep - I couldn't agree more with Mr. Ness.

Agreed - "it's the outsiders" is an old refrain from those who attempt to delegitimize righteous protests whether it's about civil rights or women's rights, or environment related demonstrations, or anti-war protests, or student's rights, ... you name it.

The Pledge of Allegiance I was told to recite every morning for a bunch of years ended with the term "With LIBERTY and JUSTICE for ALL." I made the Pledge. What happened to those who went into politics or law enforcement or business? I don't see a lot of LIBERTY OR JUSTICE happening at Standing Rock (or many other places). What happened to the pledges of those former school kids now driving the bulldozers or swinging the clubs or bringing the dogs, OR MAKING THE MONEY? Which of them is willing to trade lives with those they help oppress? WITH JUSTICE THERE IS NO OPPRESSION and no need to demonstrate or strike!

A lot of folks posting these blogs were alive when the flag salute's final clauses preceded with; "...and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." The 1st Amendment violating 'under God' bit was only added during the heights of the McCarthy era on June 14, 1954. Odd, too, for the Bible thumping zealots insisting upon this violation of personal sovereignty and privacy fail to reconcile this with the admonitions of their own book:
" Again you have heard it was said to them who were before you, that you shall not lie in your oaths, but entrust your oaths to the Lord.
But I say to you, never swear; neither by heaven, because it is God’s throne;
Nor by the earth, for it is a stool under his feet; nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of a great king. Neither shall you swear by your own head, because you cannot create in it a single black or white hair."--- Matthew 5:33-36

The author tells us 'this moment at Standing Rock was decades in the making' whereas one chooses to suggest that no, Standing Rock was centuries in the making from the creation of Pope Alexander VI's issuance of the Doctrine of Discovery in 1493. It stated "that any land not inhabited by Christians was available to be 'discovered,' claimed, and exploited by Christian rulers and declared that “the Catholic faith and the Christian religion be exalted and be everywhere increased and spread, that the health of souls be cared for and that barbarous nations be overthrown and brought to the faith itself.” Such was the basis of all European claims in the Americas as well as the foundation for the United States’ western expansion.
It became codified as a part of another 1st Amendment violating US law with Chief Justice John Marshall's opinion in the unanimous decision for Johnson v. M'Intosh (1823) which held “that the principle of discovery gave European nations an absolute right to New World lands.”

One agrees with DreamBigger's hunger and thirst for justice. For that justice to be served, and to begin to bring an end to the malignant colonial-settler ethos infecting the planet, we must all rise together and stand for a repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery.
http://www.un.org/press/en/2012/hr5088.doc.htm
"‘Doctrine of Discovery’, Used for Centuries to Justify Seizure of Indigenous Land, Subjugate Peoples, Must Be Repudiated by United Nations, Permanent Forum Told"

http://ili.nativeweb.org/sdrm_art.html
"Five Hundred Years of Injustice:
The Legacy of Fifteenth Century Religious Prejudice"