Home | About | Donate

'This Must Stop': Leading Journalism Groups Demand Law Enforcement Halt Attacks on Working Press

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/02/must-stop-leading-journalism-groups-demand-law-enforcement-halt-attacks-working

4 Likes

“I researched countless protests for my first book. I’ve written about many since. I think it’s safe to say that we’ve never seen the widespread, deliberate targeting of journalists by police that we’ve seen over the last few days. Something has changed,” journalist Radley Balko tweeted Monday."

I believe the thing that changed is police now feel threatened they will not be able to continue their violence with journalists documenting their every deed. Therefore target the journalists.

1 Like

They weren’t all US journalists. Some foreign ones were abused too.

1 Like

Trump has now for many years eviscerated and excoriated the MSM as " FAKE NEWS" and now he is just stepping up and exacerbating it to the next level like any dictatorial, fascist.

2 Likes

Whoever said, “The pen is mightier than the sword” never conceived living in America during the curse of Trump.

4 Likes

“Newsrooms must replace police ride-alongs with community-listening sessions and other intentional tactics for shifting power.”

So Julian Assange showed how the American empire-machine, with blood-thirsty eagerness, annihilates millions of innocent people and leaves destitution and chaos in its wake. Yet there are no riots for the Iraqis, the Syrians, the Afganis, the Venezuelans or whomever else sits in the path of energy dominance and gets run over. There’s not even a feeble outcry from the “newsrooms” of this country. While Julian, one of the few journalists who stood up to the establishment, wastes away in a cell.
But we should invite the brainless parrots to our community-listening sessions now that the cops are shooting them and arresting them. Okay.
Maybe in time to they’ll come realize what the word fascism means, but somehow I doubt they’ll do it before they become aware of their own irrelevance.

1 Like

Ah, hello in there. Are journalists now saying, " blowback is a real bastard, right now "? Well, duh.
How many journalists understand " siloing " is a universal tactical operation by the PTB?
Say what, indeed!
Especially so, when the information is less than flattering ( not patriotic enough ). How many understand that you can’t put the story of our gov’ts policy of " eliminating with extreme prejudice " , on page 9. And, your very legitimate stories about press abuse, below the fold on page 1? That method of reporting won’t hold the narrative, over time. Abuse is abuse, correct?
There are literally hundreds of journalists and reporters killed every year outside our country’s borders. By organized criminal elements who The Alphabets are aware of. Whose work gets in the way of business interests, originating in this country. And, who pay a heavy price for speaking about that, too.

2 Likes

Glad you mentioned Assange:

~https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/jun/01/julian-assange-misses-court-hearing-amid-calls-in-australia-for-his-release

1 Like

The logical outcome of U.S. police receiving Israeli training.

2 Likes

Again, the Israeli model of “security”, AKA repression, has come to America supported and lauded by the trump regime… Israeli forces intentionally target the press for a very long time to keep the story from coming out - the truth from come out; it’s no different here when police intimidate and/or attack the press.

The training of US police departments by Israeli security forces may well have included and had direct influence not only on how demonstrators are treated and attacked, but also our press as well.
The record of what exactly Israeli security forces teach US police must be exposed! We know that Minneapolis cops received such training!
~https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/minnesota-cops-trained-israeli-forces-restraint-techniques
ALL such US police “training” by Israeli racist forces must be stopped!

~https://www.aa.com.tr/en/middle-east/israel-s-long-history-of-targeting-journalists/1115247

~https://electronicintifada.net/blogs/charlotte-silver/israeli-spokesperson-admits-targeting-journalists-gaza

5 Likes

Australian reporters attacked:

~https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/jun/02/australia-raises-concern-assault-news-team-washington-dc-protest

1 Like

I think it is much simpler and is happening FOR 45POS. He hates the press, does not want them around at all anymore and has given orders to target them. He needs to be taken out, I really do not care how anymore.

2 Likes

That could be another aspect of it. Either way this whole debacle is (hopefully) revealing to all and sundry his lack of leadership and flagrant dismissal of the people of the USA.

Julian Assange proved one thing that Trump said: the MSM is fake news when it comes to reporting on the illegal murders and destruction in foreign countries. Exactly why I have labeled them WHORESPONDENTS! Otherwise they would be sitting in a cell next to Julian.

1 Like

Leading journalism groups on Monday urged U.S. police forces to stop targeting members of the media covering the nationwide protests

Somehow, I consider this a waste of time. Why not sue their asses?

Legislators and cops together are drawn like a magnet to the idea that mainstream press reporters are the cause of all their misery, and simply by beating the reporters badly enough, all of their cop image problems shall disappear. I remember that up in the Seabrook, NH nuclear power protests in 1979 the police singled out an NBC News camera crew. A Boston Globe reporter was afraid. A Providence Journal reporter took a Pulitzer-winning photo of a woman handcuffed and screaming, knowing that he could easily be the next victim in one second.

It’s sort of like the TV myth of the hero torturing one of the bad guys and then in just a few seconds the bad guy always says, “All right, I’ll tell you everything that you need to know.” In this case, torturing the reporters is supposed to magically improve news coverage 100%. We might also throw in a too-common if screwed up rapist’s idea that the sexual assault victim will completely come around 180 degrees by the end of the sexual assault.

1 Like

This official violence directed at reporters and other media members will be dissected in court and those police found responsible should be fired!

you think there are that many judges left to do the right thing? and make it stick? I don’t.

1 Like

I only mentioned the foreign journalists because you specified US fake news.
I understand all reporters are their enemy.