Home | About | Donate

This So-Called Bridge Fuel 'Leads to Hell': Blowout at ExxonMobil Fracking Site Among Nation's Worst-Ever Methane Leaks

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/17/so-called-bridge-fuel-leads-hell-blowout-exxonmobil-fracking-site-among-nations

2 Likes

20 days to plug one gas well??
Thank you Ohio State Highway Patrol for the photos.
Conoco, California has a spill at a well site where they use high pressure steam to heat up, lower viscosity of the crude to recover. About 20 miles from Bakersfield. This method does not create earthquakes or poison our ground water. In use for over 40 years there.

There is no reason that a spill should just flow on and on, unattended. Have a licensed boiler operator on site, utilize available sensors, automatic valves to close, etc.

1 Like

This article is the most stupidest thing I’ve read. Number one if you read statistics natural gas reduces emissions. Number two renewable energy is good and all but when you got no sun and not enough energy stored what you gonna do. Number two natural gas is a cheap and one of the cheapest sources of energy and cleaniest. Don’t get me wrong electric is good too but for heating you don’t wanna do that electric or your bill gonna be sky rocket. Natural gas is a bridge fuel. Accidents happen and accidents can happen with electric too. Stop this dumb shit with this no natural gas stuff people be saying. You guys wanna take away jobs. Geese man

1 Like

The industry is reducing jobs itself, Khris.
They’ve produced a worldwide glut of natural gas and now prices are so low, they’re laying people off.
Even worse, the drillers just flare off lots of methane – poof – up into the atmosphere.

And bridge fuel or not, renewables are dropping in price at a faster rate than gas.
And “cleaner than coal” is not clean.

2 Likes

As seen from low Earth orbit, the brightest place on the night-side planet isn’t Tokyo or New York City or London, but the oil fields of Saudi Arabia, where the practice you describe goes on 24/7, and has done for decades. SMDH.

3 Likes

I’ve seen sources who cite flare offs as 4% of total carbon emissions.
And the undercount on gas flare offs is well-researched.
Bridge fuel, my ass.

3 Likes

Its not ‘natural’ gas…its ‘fracked’ gas…and in many cases its more dirty than the coal producers of it are eager to replace. FRACKED GAS…when you add up the costs of carpet bombing deep earth, water use and poisoning, energy needed to liquify if for export…is no bridge.

It’s the newest in a string of fossil fuel scams…to tank the planet for profit, while telling the gullible we’re bridging with something dubbed ‘natural’.

We have no more time for their lies and psychopathic get rich quick schemes…LEAVE IT IN THE GROUND.

3 Likes

Until you look with FLIR, then it’s the USA fracked plays. I’m thinking folks simply ain’t GETTING Naomi and Sirota? Either party gets in, they’re going to be fracking over a million new wells (an awful lot of what you can’t see here, are the wet gas plumes, heavier than air). Picture a blowout like this in hilly Pittsburgh, cause you KNOW they’ll end up fracking Allegheny County, and up into NY as the cracking plants and pipelines to NYC are completed. Then, of course, at some point as the permafrost dissappears and the Cracken unleashed… well… nevermind. Wow, how about that Impeachment. Damn Putin!

http://www.texassharon.com/2019/09/07/the-global-warming-potential-of-methane-is-damn-important/

Eight side drills a pad, down 10,000’ & out miles, intertwined all overlapping. At the failure rate predicted by Slumberger, well… so much for moving up to State College or Buffalo to escape AGW’s worst drought effects and fracking’s pollution?

2 Likes

Right on dawg. Thanks for the impassionate words they’re so inspirational. You make my heart glad so there’s someone who understands these things like no one else. And i agree those commenters gotta stop their stooped crap it’s just sheer crazy to think we’d eliminate coal and gas and even hydro-electric is better than preserving rivers just so millions of salmon can swim free. It’s always better to burn oil and coal and gas because the wind farms kill too many birds. And don’t forget those jobs they’re talking about that went to China and India, well those people need jobs too and their quality of life is better plus they got free market benefits and that’s good for the world.

1 Like

Here’s what you’d see with IR (Slumberger’s report shown half way through the Vimeo short.) Soon, this will be common.

https://movie-usa.glencoesoftware.com/video/10.1073/pnas.1908712116/video-1