Home | About | Donate

This Story on Cellphone Tracking 'Is the Most Important Article You Should Read Today. Period.'

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/12/19/story-cellphone-tracking-most-important-article-you-should-read-today-period

Personal tracking devices have been marketed as “smart” – So it’s smart to be stupid, I guess. Personally, I never felt obliged to bow down quite that low, for which I am grateful to Dame Fortune.

5 Likes

OMG. Do they know i went to a shop yesterday and bought a pair of knickers and a brassiere? Maybe i should kill myself.

1 Like

Nothing here should really surprise anyone. Your phone tracks your every move, your internet purchases, surfing and searches define your life, tastes and wants. Anyone who aggregates data knows you better than your significant other does.

7 Likes

wings, just knickers and brassiere? I went to an adult store yesterday and bought some items but I’m not gonna kill myself before I had some fun…

4 Likes

Until your congress critter is blackmailed to vote the wrong way. Or your newspaper is blackmailed to print false information. Or you are fired because your company stock plummets when the boss is found meeting with the competition. Or you are blackmailed for what can be misconstrued to be tryst. Or…

It’s not the direct evidence that causes the harm, it’s the use of the information that enables blackmail. Project Mockiningbird wasn’t awful, until it enabled a small group of people to invade and destroy the wrong nation. Over and over and over again.

4 Likes

Yawn, hey talking box, how bout ordering me some pizza. Yo, doorbell, send a picture of that delivery boy to Gaggle so they can add him to that facial thing …

This is like American people blaming wall street for politicians they voted for.

1 Like

It’s NOT that you have anything to hide. The question is Do you have anything to protect?

People are answering NO to that.

6 Likes

When we think about this tracking as trying to sell us something – and on the
surface, I think that’s pretty much the idea floating on top – we can deal with it.
Except it’s not truly done with our consent.

But combined with the reality that the NSA/government has our email, our letters,
our phone conversations – and with plans for face recognition – more cameras in
the streets – it begins to get more interesting than I want to deal with thinking about.

2 Likes

Think that 'selling you something" is all of it? Or even the most of it?

1 Like

Harry Potter i love you. This is especially for you:

2 Likes

This no doubt all gets back to the NSA. There no way on Earth they would have been unaware this going on and their gleaning the information via a third party gives them a way they can bypass any restrictions on Government surveillance of Citizens (very much like they use information from other Governments in the 5 eyes group to spy on US Citizens. If the Brits do it then the NSA is not breaking the law while they can get all the info they need from the Brits)

If you look at the budgeting for those massive NSA sites being built in multiple locations the the USA you are talking about server farms that can store an amount of data that mind boggling. Indeed I read several years back that they had the capacity to track and record the entirety of every US Citizens actions , calls etc across that persons lifespan.

Now read some of the stuff they work on out of DARPA. This includes not only facial recognition but the ability to read thoughts remotely , to beam information directly to a persons brain and to implant false memories into an individual remotely. The Devil is literally in the details as this “brave new world” they work towards is something that even a novelist writing dystopian fiction could never have imagined.

8 Likes

Oh well, I’m not too surprised. I’m not much affected I suppose. I don,t have a cell phone or anything else that might be “smart” I flunked out of high school and had really stupid jobs most of my life. Nevertheless I’m happy. Only maybe a decade or so of life here in Hell to go and I’ll be goin’ to a much better place. thank God.

5 Likes

Well yeah but why do people have curtains on their windows?

4 Likes

There’s a counter-intutive term. If you’re looking for juvenile or sophomoric entertainments, of course it’s the “adult store” for you. Didn’t Carlin have a gag along those lines?

2 Likes

Meanwhile Ed Snowden rots in exile while the NYT gets a Pulitzer.

8 Likes

I think I remember that. Didn’t he say something like “Why do they call it adult when it’s really juvenile.”

2 Likes

Well most people Phred.

Ed Snowden sounds very strong and healthy, to me, whenever I hear him lately.

Julian Assange, on the other hand, is likely near death – suffering permanent damage to major organ systems, possibly out of his mind. Compared to Assange, Snowden dodged a slow-assassination assault of million darts, physical and psychological.

6 Likes

So true.