Home | About | Donate

This Town Is Sick of Drinking Polluted Water

This Town Is Sick of Drinking Polluted Water

Michelle Chen

In Alabama’s Black Belt, a region where the vestiges of slavery still manifest in chronic poverty and crumbling infrastructure, a more recent legacy of mining and industry is haunting the land through poisoned waterways and toxic soil.

Yet the region has long been the rural core of civil-rights struggles, and along the Black Belt, local citizens are trying to revive a legacy of activism as they struggle to restore their environment.

Having been through Uniontown a few times driving between Montgomery, AL and Jackson, MS, I can attest it certainly was an impoverished area twenty-five years ago. I just checked out the soil survey for Perry County, AL and true to my memory it reflects clay, clay, and more clay. Such soils are not appropriate for sprayfield application of wastewater, as little percolation will occur and much will run to near surface waterways. This community has been taken for a ride as is so common in the "environmental justice" world. This is a rural version of the Flint story, broadly speaking--voiceless poor black people, accommodated just enough to pacify them. Neither HRC nor DJT would give a shit, pardon the pun, however. Apparently, neither did BHO.

By the way, Nick Sabin is the highest paid state employee at almost $7 million/year plus bonuses, and is the football coach at the University of Alabama. They the powers that be, don't care if the people in the Black Belt region drinks piss water, it is the football team they care about.