Home | About | Donate

This Trade Deal Will Make You Sick

This Trade Deal Will Make You Sick

Anna Meyer

Food is more than just what we eat. It connects us to each other and our environment. And how we treat it is of tremendous importance to our democracy.

Right now, the future of our food is being decided behind closed doors.

Latest Keystone XL argument suggests global trade is its main purpose:
Alberta tar sands oil is low-grade shipping oil.
Here's the best Keystone argument I've heard:

If we're building pipeline, build it from Oklahoma to Omaha to Dakota Bakkan fields; shorter pipe through less sensitive corridor; safety upgrades to existing petro facilities; reduces demand for off-shore drilling in the Gulf; reduces hazards of rail transport and terminal operation east and west; fuels find more domestic uses while serving the world market demand feasibly though somewhat less capacity than proposed.

Expanding global trade is Obama policy not fully explained in his campaigns. Minimal global trade for essential goods is good policy. But now the US is becoming a 3rd World nation of resource exports and a single Detroit muscle/luxury car for every 30 or 40 imported motorized mobility devices and a ton of other playthings.

Whenever I read an article about the TPP, I think of what Ten Bears says in Josey Wales "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double-tongues."

The text of this article is full of great links if you want to get an idea of the scope of this treaty and the other one that U.S. corporations are negotiating with European corporations. Teddy Roosevelt and Dwight Eisenhower would both be outraged with the total capitulation of our governments to corporations that these two trade agreements make clear.