Home | About | Donate

'This Whole House of Cards Is Gonna Collapse': GOP Shutters Senate With US on Verge of Economic Catastrophe

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/07/24/whole-house-cards-gonna-collapse-gop-shutters-senate-us-verge-economic-catastrophe

8 Likes

I’ve heard this a few times and I agree with this sentiment. That we are going to be soon witnessing riots the likes this country has never seen.

17 Likes

The depression to end all depressions is here now. Too bad the citizens will most likely fight each other instead of caring for each other in the USA. The choice could be made to care for each other and I would wave a magic wand to have that outcome if I could. I just don’t see it happening. I have never felt so depressed in my life and I tend towards that way of being anyway. Take care everyone.

19 Likes

And our tax money is paying these people!

7 Likes

I think that is why I try to keep hope that people will be standing up alongside each other to fight these fascists in the end. I tend towards being depressed today and this is probably also my low point too but I know nothing will get better if I just resign myself to despair, even if those more cynical might be accurate.

10 Likes

For 3 1/2 years the US Senate has been nothing more than a Trump enabler/apologist, and a high speed young fascist judge confirmation machine.

“Worst riots in US history” ?

Can you say first civil war in more than 150 years ?

14 Likes

In some ways we have had a “cold” civil war since the first one. Now it appears it may turn hot. I really hope I am wrong. I know I won’t be able to kill my fellow men even if they want to kill me. I so wish I could simply wake up from this unfolding nightmare. Or beam aboard the Starship Enterprise that has come back from the future to pick up all the progressives.

11 Likes

REPUBLIKLANS NEED NO HELP FAILING.

in the past 90 years the US has experienced 4 economic crises that seriously disrupted life for citizens…ALL HAPPENED UNDER REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTS

1929 Hoover

1987 Reagan

2008 Bush

2020 tRump

9 Likes

^https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcjSF_ywnbY&list=RDPcjSF_ywnbY&start_radio=1

Could this have been avoided if the Dems, who own the House of Representatives, had played hardball at the beginning of the pandemic, and insisted upon relief for working people FIRST, before the $$trillions that they handed out to the corporations?

17 Likes

This reminds me of the “Frog and the Scorpion” parable. Sure maybe the Dems could have tried to act in our own interests at the beginning of this but they still would have screwed us anyway, after all it is in their nature.

7 Likes

It might have kicked the can down the road a little longer. That is all.

3 Likes

It wasn’t enough that the Grim Reaper Party (GRP) cut a wide swatch of death and destruction among the poor and destitute by refusing to take the obvious precautions to control the coronavirus.

It wasn’t enough that the GRP has worked incessantly to eliminate health care for the poor, making them even more vulnerable to the pandemic we are now experiencing.

It wasn’t enough that the GRP’s yearly budgetary cuts to programs that aided the poor increased the nation’s homeless population threefold.

It wasn’t enough that your party threatened Social Security while doling out small fortunes in taxpayer money to big corporations and Trump’s political cronies.

Now, you are determined to end the already meager unemployment benefits so the poor are unable to provide food, shelter, and the other necessities of life for themselves and their families.

Have you no understanding whatsoever of the events that triggered the French Revolution, Russian Revolution, and other uprisings of the poor and downtrodden throughout world history?

Or is this exactly what you want to unleash even more forms of genocidal horror on the country’s impoverished masses?

7 Likes

Hi TrumpTowerof BabeI:

It is ominous that the military got even more money to waste.–or “Iose.” We’ve already seen how DHS operates…: (

5 Likes

The oligarchs know what is coming. They have their private army in place paid by the taxpayers against who the army is tasked to put down.

5 Likes

Hi MCH:
But seeing he citizens of PortIand with their MOM in meow shirts crew and their Dad’s in red with Ieaf bIowers bIowing back the teargas to the DHS—that truIy gives hope! : )

7 Likes

They’re giving it a go which is all they can do. We will all need to join them as we can.

6 Likes

Hi IiIy_IongfIower:

Yes, Bush 2 was the mess Ieft for Obama, but remember, Obama onIy baiIed out the banks—and so many people Iost their homes unnecessairIy—so 2008 should probably read Bush-Obama. I lost a job and then it seemed Iike aII of a sudden America became part time jobs in TEMP WORD! : (

11 Likes

As Pogo so famously said years ago, “We have met the enemy and it is us.”

10 Likes

TRUE, but we must ask our selves: WHY ARE THEY ELECTED?

7 Likes