Home | About | Donate

Though 'Children Need Peace Now More Than Ever,' US and Russia Block UN Efforts to Impose Global Ceasefire

Originally published at http://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/04/20/though-children-need-peace-now-more-ever-us-and-russia-block-un-efforts-impose

1 Like

Our word under trump is meaningless anyway.

3 Likes

A global ceasefire enforced by whom? If Turkey attacks Russians in Syria or Syria attacks Americans in Iraq, who will be the arbiter?

1 Like

From the article:

“…we will continue to fulfill our legitimate counterterrorism mission.”

The statement continued, "And we reserve the exclusive right to define “legitimate.”

3 Likes

Well they can’t let all this surplus oil go to waste can they:

~https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/20/oil-prices-sink-to-20-year-low-as-un-sounds-alarm-on-to-covid-19-relief-fund

All we are saying — is give peace a chance — at least for a little while.

But Trump views this as weakness and makes Macron look like a mature leader and statesman. We can’t have THAT now can we Donnie? Screw up your bitter face and bang your baby rattle with a screaming no at the Security Council.

Oh and too bad Trump didn’t think of it. He might’ve gotten that Nobel Peace Prize he so covets. The one Obama got and drives Trump insane. That’s the only reason Trump would ever suggest such a thing. Not for the benefit to human beings around the world, but rather to once again WIN a prize and wipe away Obama’s legacy.

1 Like

Obama turned it into a political prize; he did absolutely nothing to help bring about world peace.

5 Likes

Agreed. But Obama received that prize illegally. If you look at the criteria for being awarded that prize you will see the discrepancies. Nevertheless, as you say it is a thorn in dump’s side. And of course all dump lovers hate Obama.

2 Likes

From, Prison Notes, Neil J. Smith:

A mother with whom I had a brief conversation informed me, “I won’t be seeing you much any longer. He’s put in a request to be transferred to a place closer to home.”
I asked, “And how much more time has he got?”
She replied, “He currently has some lawyers trying to get him out by Spring. If that fails, ummm, I guess it’ll be 2023.”
I said, “I suppose it’s better than going to Afghanistan.”
She visibly flinched. “I have a son about to be deployed there soon.”
I could sense her heart sinking.

When going to prison offers more “protection” especially with COVID-19, well, we are in deep trouble.

1 Like

A somewhat misleading headline to say the least.
Russia refused to agree to a ceasefire so long as America continues its global rampage.
Doing so would mean abandoning their allies in Syria and Libya to the “mercy” of America’s proxies.

4 Likes

We’ll never end war without ending capitalism

~ttps://www.wspus.org/2019/11/11-11-11-100-years-since-the-end-of-world-war-i/

3 Likes

Of course the U.S. has to continue fighting terrorism. For example:

• Nicaragua, among the poorest countries in this hemisphere, poses “a national security threat”
    to the U.S., Trumpians say. So it must be prevented from obtaining international financing
    and accept aggressive sanctions by the U.S. and its Canadian lackey.

• Venezuela is indulging in “narco-terrorism”, says Pompouseo. Of course, DEA maps show
    93% of US-bound cocaine is trafficked through western Caribbean and eastern Pacific routes,
    not through Venezuela’s eastern Caribbean coast. Over six times as much cocaine flowed through the US-allied Guatemala than Venezuela in 2018. (Venezuelanalysis). But stationing warships off the coast, as the U.S. is doing, is the clear answer to Venezuela’s threats,
    and must not be constrained by wussy peaceniks.

• The U.S.'s continuing economic warfare and sanctions against Cuba must continue,
    because the unrelentingly independent country is threatening U.S. world dominance
    by sending medical teams and drugs to pandemic-afflicted countries. Worse, it’s helping
    that maverick Venezuela survive Uncle Sam’s sabotage.

• If the ongoing Israeli-U.S.-Saudi campaign of aggression against Iran were to stop,
    maybe that besieged country – which, unaccountably, thinks it should run its own affairs
    – could feed, clothe and house its people adequately. That would be tragic.

5 Likes

“US and RUSSIA blocking efforts” …

Can we really blame Russia when it is US/CIA tearing up agreements – ???

4 Likes

But didn’t we know that the response to the pandemic is the previous administrations fault. All of it. Obama’s fingerprints handed us this damnable list of utter screw ups in leadership. That trump wants us to swallow that one means he is a mentally disturbed person, imo. He needs help. If not I see a breakdown in his future.
Especially if he has to start answering for his constant lying.

2 Likes

EMcommon, you do realise, there are many readers on here who do not have the capabilities to recognise IRONY when they see it, thus your excellent post will go ignored.

Why, in this day and age, when information is so easily obtained, would any mother, condone and support their offspring joining the biggest terrorist machine on the planet ???

1 Like

Yes, we can blame Russia and China for every ill in the world and all of our problems. But our words no longer mean anything to anybody, if ever they did, except to the right wing, to whom our words are truth, as long as it fits their narrative.

1 Like

Aside from a few trolls, most readers here have considerable intelligence and education,
I like to think. But thanks for helping those who don’t.